Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Steps clicking after fully opened

Hi, need some guidance on step trouble shooting.

All of a sudden my Lippert 2 step unit is acting up. They are on a 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34’.

Here is what’s happening, when I open the door the steps extend normally and then when they are fully extended there is a clicking noise that last for about 5 -7 seconds. I crawled under and watched as my wife opened the door. I can see where the gears are and when the clicking is happening it appears that the gears are jerking back and forth a bit, and then it finally stops. Every nut and bolt is tight.

This is sporadic now as the last time I tried the steps they worked normally.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steps clicking after fully opened '12 HR Vacationer

Hi, need some guidance on step trouble shooting.

All of a sudden my Lippert 2 step unit is acting up. They are on a 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34’.

Here is what’s happening, when I open the door the steps extend normally and then when they are fully extended there is a clicking noise that last for about 5 -7 seconds. I crawled under and watched as my wife opened the door. I can see where the gears are and when the clicking is happening it appears that the gears are jerking back and forth a bit, and then it finally stops. Every nut and bolt is tight.

This is sporadic now as the last time I tried the steps they worked normally.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

When that same thing happened , they replaced the motor on our Tiffin Red. Motor is not senceing the stop and continues to cycle
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Mike,

I spent this past weekend curing what sounds like the same problem. My steps are SCS/Frigette but my research found that SCS, Lippert Components and Stromberg Carlson are all the same steps and mechanisms. After the steps reached full in or full out, it sounded like the motor would then rapidly cycle back on and off several times before shutting off.

Long story short....check the two bolts in the sector gear that is driven by the motor gearbox. Here's a link to a sector gear on ebay so you can see the part.

Stromberg Carlson Entry Step Gear SP 163164 | eBay

There are two holes in the gear....check that both bolts are tight. The center pivot requires a 5/16 allen wrench. The bolt that holds the heim joint post required a 14mm socket on the nut and a 1/2in open end wrench on the post (yeah, I know, that combo on the heim joint post was wierd).

Before you try to tighten these bolts you will have to take the tension off the steps. I did this by having my wife open the door to extend the steps and I turned off the engine battery cutoff switch when the steps were about 3/4 out. You cannot check these bolts with the steps fully extended because the sector gear and the heim joint linkage are under tension to hold the steps out. You should be able to easily move the steps back and forth about an inch or so when they are not locked in full out position.

If you decide to work on the steps, you might want to disconnect the plug in the wires between the control box and the motor as added protection while you are working.

I hope this helps.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

Here's a link to Lippert. There is trouble shooting info here if you scroll down. But they seemed to be aimed at diagnosing what was wrong if the steps did not work at all.

http://lci1.com/index.php?option=com...401&Itemid=334

Glenn
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hopefully this is the issue

Check all the nuts and bolts, all were tight.

I spoke with Holiday Rambler who referred me to LCI step manufacturer. After discussing what was happening, Rep say it is the controller that when bad. (Of course the unit was out of warranty on a '2012 unit, one year). Their price was $216.94, after searching the internet I found the same part number 164889 at Stromberg Carlson for $128.10.

Should be here in a few days and hopefully that will resolve my problem.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Problemnot solved

Received the control panel today and just finished swapping it out.

Well the same problem is occurring and it now makes the clicking sound as if it senses the stairs are not open fully or closed all the way.

All nuts and bolts are tight.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

Same happened to us on Winnebago Via. The service folks said gears were worn and damaged and replaced our steps, fortunately under warranty. Husband changed out the control module as well to no effect as first attempt to solve the problem.

Paul & Debbie
2011 Winnebago Via
Louisville, KY
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My unit is a 2012 with 3,600 miles on it, the gears looks fine to me and once in a while the steps work just like it should. I guess a trip to the dealer is next on warranty.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #10

I thought tightening the pivot and heim stud bolts had fixed my steps because they worked normally for a half dozen in/out cycles after that. But when I tried to use them this weekend, the problem returned. Thanks for sharing you experience replacing the control box. I would have tried that next.

The gears in my motor box look fine too. But there are 3 plastic plugs that are semicircular that I have learned were originally round. Here's a link to a post that gives the part numbers for the replacement plugs and the plastic gear. The OP has a Coach Step unit. Several replies were about Kwikee steps which is not what the OP or you have, but go to post 11 where the OP gives his cure.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/coach...lem-152995.htm

The plugs are 7.99 at Advance Auto and I am going to give them a try. I'll let you know the results.

The entire motor/gear box is available at Advance Auto as part number 83694. One of the reviews on the motor is from someone who used it as a replacement for his RV step motor. Its 45.99.... a lot cheaper than buying a step part. But you will need to splice the old electrical connector onto the new motor. Might be worth a try.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/scs-...ps-122166.html
Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #11

The window regulator gear plugs from Advance Auto (part no. 74410) worked. The steps operate normally now. Fixed for $7.99.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Finally

Replaced the motor today and thank goodness it worked. Steps close and open very nicely with no hesitation.

Sure wish Lippert would have given me a correct diagnoses the first call. I got the motor of of Amazon $48.00 not $198. Stromberg Carlson wanted for it.

I guess they think if you wanna play you gotta pay
Old 04-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #13

repaired steps

Just got finished repairing the steps. Pain in the neck for an old man to repair but it now works. The repair parts are available at most auto part stores Dorman part number 74410. They are little plastic parts that are guaranteed to break again. When the parts are used in a Ford door window they are not subjected to too much strain every time you use the window. Cheap parts that will fail when used in a step.

The step went clunk clunk clunk. All you need to do is get the spare parts from the auto store. Lay on the ground and get under the step. Three bolts hold on the motor. There are two spacers on each bolt. Remove the motor assembly only. There is a plastic pin holding on the cover above the gears. Remove the cover. Inside you will find the remains of the old plastic parts. Remove them. You will need to remove the small metal gear so you can install the new parts. I hooked the motor up to 12 volts and worked the motor back and forth to get the gear out. Install the new parts and put it back together. When reinstalling the motor remember to put the spacers back. Plug in the motor and it will work like new for a few years again.

This step may take the award for the worst engineered part of all time. I suggest you get some spare parts for when your goes out, it was only $9.20 for the three parts. New motor is $200 plus postage and $200 for labor from service center.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JGrosman

Thanks for joining our "Motor Step Club" You are now an elite member in good standings.

Having crawled on the RV and found yourself in strange positions working on the steps you are entitled to a beer!

Tags
steps