Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
Steps problem

I have a 29' class c 2000/2001 Fleetwood Jamboree. Used to be a rental unit before I bot it. Anyways from the wear and tear of being rented, and the full time use my family has added. The frame/platform that the pull out step attaches to is breaking apart. It looks to be a wooden box type are covered with a tin or some type of thin metal covering. I have already removed the step from the frame/platform to take the weight off of it and to lesson the risk of damage in case the vibrations broke it free the rest of the way. How easy do you think it would be to rebuild that section? And does anyone happen to know what that covering probably is? Sorry the images aren't that great. Kinda dificult getting a good angle and focus while laying on the ground and the areas so close to the camera. But hope these help. This is the main entry door where the steps attach.

Thanks for any help.
Vick

hwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were a fleetwood dealer and had to repair several stepwell boxes. It is a simple repair and easily done by anyone with simple carpentry skills. I always went back without the metal cover. I felt it held the moisture in and caused most of the problem. I always primed the box and sprayed with several coats of undercoating.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
We were a fleetwood dealer and had to repair several stepwell boxes. It is a simple repair and easily done by anyone with simple carpentry skills. I always went back without the metal cover. I felt it held the moisture in and caused most of the problem. I always primed the box and sprayed with several coats of undercoating.
Cool. Well I do have the carpentry skills for the most part, my boss can help with the parts that I don't.. Sounds like a valid point on the metal cover holding the moisture in.
Thanks GA Traveler!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
One other suggestion. I always used 2 inch angle iron (actually aluminum not iron) on the corners, to reinforce them. You can pick this up at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
One other suggestion. I always used 2 inch angle iron (actually aluminum not iron) on the corners, to reinforce them. You can pick this up at Lowes or Home Depot.
Very good suggestion. I will go down to one of those shops and price them.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I haven't been able to start on the repair yet unfortunately. Still waiting on getting the material till I know I will have time in the shop to do the work. Is the step well box mostly wood on the Jamboree's? Or is there a metal sub-structure inside of them or part of them. Just trying to get an idea of how it's made up while I wait for the material and shop time.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

I have a Jamboree but haven't messed with the step well -- but I have taken the chairs out which required me to get up and close with how the floor is constructed -- mine has thick plywood with the exterior covered in thin metal which is covered with some material you might find on any car under body.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yea the steps have that thin metal with the under coat on it as well. Was actually thinking of undoing the pull out sofa/bed so I could deep clean under it. Wonder if I will have to get under the coach to do that. Will have to check that tomorrow. Still waiting on the supplies to repair the step well, hoping I can get it done soon. No later then the end of the month at least. But will have to see.