Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #1

sticking step

Any suggestions for extenda step that does not want to fully retract? I have lubed the step on regular intervals.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just finished removing and re-installing my kwikee step today for a similar problem. A previous owner must have left the step out and clipped it on something. All the brackets were bent and caused it to bind opening and closing. It took allot of metal fabrication to straighten it back out, but it works perfectly now.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If nothing is binding, then the step controller needs to be replaced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pull the pin that goes to the steps from the motor. can you move the steps with out the motor attached any binding?? does the motor work with out the steps attached??
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low house battery made mine do it when I first purchases MH. Had been sitting on lot. Once charged up worked perfect since.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I just finished removing and re-installing my kwikee step today for a similar problem. A previous owner must have left the step out and clipped it on something. All the brackets were bent and caused it to bind opening and closing. It took allot of metal fabrication to straighten it back out, but it works perfectly now.
Hey Wanabee - My door came open the other day and bumped the curb in the driveway and bent mine a bit. How did you re-bend your's? Did you drill out hinges and then straighten? That's the only way I could get mine back perfect. Works now, but bugs me. Took it out and did a bit of work on it, but together I just couldn't get it.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi deputydog,
I was not sure at first if I could fix my step. I wanted to replace just the step and reuse my controller and motor, but decided to devote a day and give it a shot. I removed the step then I used a big hammer (sledge like but shorter handle) and hammered the side frame straight on the concrete floor, then used wood 2x4 blocks for support to hammer the step brackets straight. I also used about 2.5' of wood beam standing on end to work the metal side brackets. The last part that was difficult was to bend the inside brackets back into shape. They have a squiggle shape so they can retract back into the mounting bracket, and were bent somewhat straight.
As you already stated it would be difficult to remove the bracket from the frame, so I stood it on end and laid a 7/8" combo wrench between the bracket and frame and hammered it back to the correct shape.
I only ran into one issue, the weld broke for the cross support rod during the metal work. I hammered it back into position and took it to my local body shop and had him weld it for me. 2 hours later I picked it up and reinstalled the step into my RV. (He didn't even charge me, but I gave him some lunch money for his effort )
Since I have never had a fully functioning step, I was delighted with the results. Hope this helps,

John
Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks - that's how I did mine and it's pretty close and works fine. I started to drill out all the riveted hinges but that would have been a project for sure.

While doing mine I found a defect in my from the factory - the actuator arms that are welded at each end of the round horizontal rod that the gear moves are not welded on the same. they are about 20 degrees or so out of being at the same angle on the shaft so when one side of the step is full up, the other side is down maybe an inch or two. The only fix would be to cut one off the rod and re-weld to match the other or cut the shaft just inside one or the other, align them and re-weld the rod. I have all the tools and a tig welder, but lost my motivation.

Pretty crummy quality control from the mfg. I ought to send them some photo's and the inspector's number. They could probably pick him out - he either has the "coke bottle glasses" or the red and white cane.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine was off also, but not as bad as yours. I was able to bring it into spec's with my persuader.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is a cut and weld for sure - no way to twist that shaft or bend those arms.

Next time I get bored I'll get out the "smoke wrench" and Get-R-Done!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #11

I used my son in law's log splitter as a press to fix my steps.
BOB