Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #1

Sticky Black Water Valve

Sticky black water valve. Any solutions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #2

WD40

Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
paz

The petroleum distillates in WD-40 may damage the seals. I suggest vegetable oil spray.

Probably a more effective, but more unpleasant alternative to apply, is silicone plumber's grease. While wearing rubber gloves, put a little grease on your fingertip and smear it around the groove up inside the valve. However, some valves have too much plumbing downstream to be able to reach the groove.

It you can't resolve the problem, removing the valve to clean it or replace it is an unpleasant, but simple task. New valves usually cost around $20. Dump your tank and flush the tank with plenty of clean water. Tilt your RV slightly to the side away from the drain valve if possible. Remove the 4 bolts holding the valve in place. Separate the piping enough to slide the valve out. When putting the valve back, make sure the seals are properly in place.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Considering the consequences of having a valve fail, I try to replace mine about every two years. It's not that tough a job and give me some peace of mind.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Use Non-Petrolium Silicone spray? Thetford makes a lubricant that dumps into the tank. I tried it, but didn't notice a lot of difference. Maybe I didn't use enough $$$
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spray 303 on the shaft.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #7

Sticky Black Water Valve

Thank you to all who posted a reply. May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you all.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a zerk fitting on the side of the unit (narrow edge) near the bottom of the valve travel. Just a couple of shots from the grease gun each time I lube the chassis has kept them operating smoothly for 6 years. Keeps the rod and everything else inside lubed. First pull after each lube can be stiff as the grease is forced up and into the seals.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #9

I also added a zerk fitting to each valve and it works great. First, I dripped the right size hole for the zerk, then threaded it with a tap, and finally screwed in the zerk (available from hardware stores). Then, add some grease and experienced a very smooth valve movement.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
I installed a zerk fitting on the side of the unit (narrow edge) near the bottom of the valve travel. Just a couple of shots from the grease gun each time I lube the chassis has kept them operating smoothly for 6 years. Keeps the rod and everything else inside lubed. First pull after each lube can be stiff as the grease is forced up and into the seals.
any chance of getting a pic of where you put the zerk, bill
Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.macandchris.com/images/11...alve_small.jpg

Sorry, too far away from MH right now. My valves are vertical while this picture of his solution is horizontal. I think the screw could be replaced with a zerk and work as well.
If you trace up along the valve housing from his screw, about an inch, then over the edge to the right and then along the top about 3 to 4 inches, just below the wide part that stores the valve gate when is it closed, is where I placed mine. This is a better description than my original post.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #12

ok thanks for your quick response. i did look at macs web site and i decided to drill a hole in the end above the pull handle and spray silicane in there, and i'll see how that works. i had 2 s.s. screws that worked great to plug the holes.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorton5 View Post
Sticky black water valve. Any solutions?
Annual summertime maintenance by dis-assembly, cleaning of seals, valve surfaces and stems provides trouble free use of the valves. I only lube the stems with a small amount of anti-seize lubricant. Watch that the seals stay in place when putting the valves back together to avoid leaks. Avoid the use of WD-40, but the 303 protectant is OK
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
From past experience with severals problems I had with my black water valve on my fiver. I had to get under the 5 W, and remove most of the underbelly protective material to get to the valve. I removed the valve approx twice a year to clean and grease. The valve was connected to a long wire approx 6 ft, to open or close the valve.
After a few years I installed a grease zirk, that worked well, but still had to remove the underbelly to get to it.

So after a few years, after replacing the valve with a new one, I stopped using the various products to add to the black tank, instead I installed on the roof vent a 360 something that did a great job. Well believe it or not it worked, I never had to replace or clean that valve again. I added product to the black tank 1 or 2 times a year to clean it.

On my motorhome, I did the same thing, had it for 4 years now without any problems.