RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stiffer steering

Has anyone noticed a very noticeable difference in the amount of stiffness (amount of strength/hard steering) increase after installing a steering stabilizer? I installed a Roadmaster RSSA stabilizer on my coach and like the way it helps coach from pulling to low side of road and seems to take the jolt out of steering wheel when hitting a deep pot hole, But, I also notice it requires a lot more effort to steer especially at low speeds. Seems the power steering pump is not able to overcome the resistance of the stabilizer cylinder.
Maybe it's just me or maybe this is normal but I would like to hear others comments after installing a steering stabilizer.

Thanks

1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #2

IMO; That is normal operation. The stabilizers/double-acting shocks place resistance to movement in either direction, the driver must exert extra force moving the steering wheel to overcome that resistance.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #3

well I do have that same unit , and no noticeable extra stiffness. my RV only has 5,500 miles on it. I put the roadmaster reflex stabilizer on after my first short trip with RV
2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 AM   #4

I would double check that your not getting any rubbing between the moving and stationary parts.

Look for wear marks in the paint.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:00 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some claim it's normal...however. My experience was similar after I installed a Steer Safe.

The resistance got progressively worse. The OEM of the device claimed it wouldn't cause extra resistance in steering.

I tried flushing the power steering system..no help. Checked for clogged filter...my system didn't have one. Replaced the fluid....no help.

In the end I replaced the power steering pump....amazing difference. Not saying yours is bad.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Some claim it's normal...however. My experience was similar after I installed a Steer Safe.

The resistance got progressively worse. The OEM of the device claimed it wouldn't cause extra resistance in steering.

I tried flushing the power steering system..no help. Checked for clogged filter...my system didn't have one. Replaced the fluid....no help.

In the end I replaced the power steering pump....amazing difference. Not saying yours is bad.
"The OEM of the device claimed it wouldn't cause extra resistance in steering".

Yes, that is what I was told by etrailer when I purchased mine. I did notice right away that the steering was stiffer but thought it was normal. On our last trip last week, even though the handling was good, I felt more stress in my wrist and forearms from the added stiffness in the steering.
I have checked that nothing is rubbing anywhere and wouldn't think with only 20K miles on the coach that the power steering pump was bad but that could always be possible with anything mechanical. Not sure how to check it and don't want to just start changing parts to find a gremlin.
I may remove the stabilizer and take a drive and see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see you have a gas coach, and I don't have firsthand knowledge of how to check that type of pump.
On my Cummins engine Freightliner installed, FL had specific flow rates for checking the pump. There was also an overpressure checkvalve in my pump, but tearing it apart and messing around wasn't worth it to me when I found a slightly used pump for under $200.
When driving and the RPM was up around 1800 or more, steering was better, so I knew the pump was low on output down around idle speed.
Good luck
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I installed a Steer Safe on my DP years ago and hated how it required more steering input. I removed it and sold it. I later added the TruSteer which was a powered stabilizer and loved it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The device definitely makes the steering mechanism stiffer (cause that's what it does), but in many (most?) cases the power steering pump overcomes it. Your pump may be worn, less capable, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put the Roadmaster Reflex unit on my XC Freightliner chassis. 1st hundred miles I noticed increased effort. Then it mostly went away. It helps a little in cross winds and passing trucks.
I got the crappy Good Year G670 with very unusual tread wear. Outside rib is wavy. If they go I hope the steering assist helps.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I removed the Stabilizer today and ran some back roads and some Interstate. Defiantly a difference in stiffness of steering. But I could also feel the road crown more, a lot more!! So I feel that the Stabilizer is doing it's job.
Came home and reinstalled in the same position. I would rather live with the stiffness in the steering than having to adjust the steering wheel for the pull from road crown and low spots.

Maybe as Fiesta48 stated, in a couple hundred miles it will loosen up, or my wrist and forearms will build up to the point I don't notice it anymore.

Thanks for your input
Old 04-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #12

Those steering stabilizers will add resistance to your steering.

The one time I really, really noticed it was in a small town and making a sweeping low-speed turn to the right. I let off the accelerator to coast around the corner, and my engine shut off*. I was not able to get the steering wheel turned far enough to make it though the turn. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to get the engine restarted before anyone else came around the turn.

* due to the throttle body assembly being gummed up - newer 3-Valve V-10's don't have an IAC valve. It's fixed now!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Previous owner installed one but I found it more tiring than the 85K miles I put on the same chassis without one. Removed it which helped but newer TRW steering box has a self centering feature which I find to be undesirable on anything but perfect conditions. Thinking of making an adjustable mount for the stabilizer I removed. Would not add a stabilizer that is not adjustable.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:06 AM   #14

I just recently had the Roadmaster stabilizer installed on our Bay Star. I've only driven it from the shop to home with a little detour to add some miles, and it added some resistance but nothing to make it feel like it would cause any fatigue. At a later date, after I've done some lengthy driving, I'll post a review, but our travel plans are on hold right now due my DW having to get a hip replacement.

FWIW....the majority of reviews on the Roadmaster are very positive. And, there are other factors to consider such as proper alignment, tire pressure, sway bars in use, etc.

Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering