Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

Still for good dry camping ideas.

I am still looking for good dry camping ideas in southwest Arizona. I usually go to Lake Havasu City in the winter but permanent seasonal dry camping in the area is very limited. You have to move every 14 days. I know about Senator's Wash and Imperial Dam state Park. While these are great camping sites, they are 30 miles from Yuma which means a lot of driving to get anywhere. While Quartszite is nice the nearest major grocery store is 80 miles away. Also generators can not be ran at night. Because of medications that need refrigeration I have to keep the generator running 24 hours a day. I was hoping from some place a bit closer to civilization. Has anyone dry camped in the Kingman area??? I'd be interested in knowing about off the beaten path dry camping within a few mile of Kingman or Yuma where there is no time restriction on quiet generators. Any useful feedback would be most appreciated.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I am still looking for good dry camping ideas in southwest Arizona. I usually go to Lake Havasu City in the winter but permanent seasonal dry camping in the area is very limited. You have to move every 14 days. I know about Senator's Wash and Imperial Dam state Park. While these are great camping sites, they are 30 miles from Yuma which means a lot of driving to get anywhere. While Quartszite is nice the nearest major grocery store is 80 miles away. Also generators can not be ran at night. Because of medications that need refrigeration I have to keep the generator running 24 hours a day. I was hoping from some place a bit closer to civilization. Has anyone dry camped in the Kingman area??? I'd be interested in knowing about off the beaten path dry camping within a few mile of Kingman or Yuma where there is no time restriction on quiet generators. Any useful feedback would be most appreciated.

Well Sir,
At the risk of sounding a bit sarcastic or, critical of your situation, I'm wondering about a few things here. One, You're operating/living in, a near 40 year old RV, wanting to LIVE in or around an area where no one will make you move, after ANY extended stay time, NEED REFRIDGERATED medications, requiring a generator to be ran 24/7, and don't want to drive,(at least not very far) for your needs. Hmmmm.

Now, second, we live in Lake Havasu City and, there's thousands of square miles for campers to reside in outside the city boarders. Based on the driving distance to the nearest larger, grocery store, from either end of the city, you've got plenty of options. As for moving every 14 days, how hard can that be? I mean, since you're not plugged into shore power out there in the middle of no where, and no water hook up, nothing, then a start up of the RV, move a few yards and, re-park it. And, you've got grocery stores at both ends of the city.

As for Quartzsite, we've been there too, several times. We've camped in various places, OUTSIDE THE 14 DAY LIMIT areas, a few times. And, if I recall, there IS a grocery store in the town. And that's about, oh, I'd say at the farthest, about 8-10 miles from non-14 day limit camping. That's just a guess.

Now, we've also been to the Squaw Lake-Senators Wash area too and, that place can turn into a metropolitan city, during the snow bird season. Talk about crowded. And yes, that would be a bit of driving to your local grocery store and gas station area.

I'm not sure what your financial situation is, nor is it my business but, in the light of needing mediations that need refrigeration 24/7, I'd surely look into some of the campgrounds in Quartzsite/Yuma/Havasu that provide long term cut rates. At least you wouldn't need to run and, depend on a generator for 24/7 which, could quit at any time, even for a simple problem.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There's a "boondocking" section below where you may get more attention to your question...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #4

I would think a long term campground in the Quartszite area would be nearly as cheap as running a generator 24/7 and quieter. And yes there is a grocery store in Quartzsite

Russell
Old 09-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

I read the thread title and thought you were looking for a place to set up a still.
😁
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #6

Still for good dry camping ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
At the risk of sounding a bit sarcastic or, critical of your situation, I'm wondering about a few things here. One, You're operating/living in, a near 40 year old RV, wanting to LIVE in or around an area where no one will make you move, after ANY extended stay time, NEED REFRIDGERATED medications, requiring a generator to be ran 24/7, and don't want to drive,(at least not very far) for your needs. Hmmmm.

Now, second, we live in Lake Havasu City and, there's thousands of square miles for campers to reside in outside the city boarders. Based on the driving distance to the nearest larger, grocery store, from either end of the city, you've got plenty of options. As for moving every 14 days, how hard can that be? I mean, since you're not plugged into shore power out there in the middle of no where, and no water hook up, nothing, then a start up of the RV, move a few yards and, re-park it. And, you've got grocery stores at both ends of the city.

As for Quartzsite, we've been there too, several times. We've camped in various places, OUTSIDE THE 14 DAY LIMIT areas, a few times. And, if I recall, there IS a grocery store in the town. And that's about, oh, I'd say at the farthest, about 8-10 miles from non-14 day limit camping. That's just a guess.

Now, we've also been to the Squaw Lake-Senators Wash area too and, that place can turn into a metropolitan city, during the snow bird season. Talk about crowded. And yes, that would be a bit of driving to your local grocery store and gas station area.

I'm not sure what your financial situation is, nor is it my business but, in the light of needing mediations that need refrigeration 24/7, I'd surely look into some of the campgrounds in Quartzsite/Yuma/Havasu that provide long term cut rates. At least you wouldn't need to run and, depend on a generator for 24/7 which, could quit at any time, even for a simple problem.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Scott
Senators Wash is one of the more popular spots near Yuma as I understand. I have friends who go there in the winter. I also know about imperial dam state park in the same area. Yuma has RV parks at a dime a dozen, but many of them are real crap holes, so being selective as I found from experience. It can get rough down by the Mexico boarder. This comes from my prior experience of living in Yuma for 3 and 1/2 year back in 2006. Contrary to popular myth the Wal-mart in Yuma is not RV friendly. I camped there over night with a group of RViers once. The city of Yuma left warnings on all of our RV's to move or else. Dry camping in Lake Havasu City limits is also against the law. I asked an officer while I was in Lake Havasu last winter and that's what I was told. So I'm glad I was on a private lot with running water and electric. I might have to stick with Craggy Wash north of Lake Havasu City. While I stayed at Crazy Horse campground last winter, I found it to be very pricey and the campground is very poorly maintained. The beachfront properties were almost $400 a month with no sewer hookups. So it looks like I will be staying at one of the dry camps on either end of Lake Havasu and running off of propane and house batteries during the nighttime hours.

Tags
camping