Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stinkbugs hiding behind fridge by hundreds.

Hiding places count. We worked hard to vacume and clean our MH last Nov. Took a Christmas week trip and saw very few bugs, maybe 10-20.

Turns out they were hibernating. We brough home this weekend for spring cleaning.

This is incredible:
1. Picked up about 100 dead ones when we picked it up from storage.
2. So we bombed on nite. Next morning I counted. Vacumed up 297 on the floor.
3. While cleaning found about another 50.
4. Then I found them behind the fridge in large numbers and vacumed up maybe 50 more. We decided to bomb. After 2 hours I removed the fridge outside vent (we blocked with trash bag) and OH MY - must have been 250 there. They literally fell out onto the ground.
5. So we bombed again. Two hours later maybe 100 this time.

It was a disgusting weekend but we vacumed up between 800 and 1000 of the little buggers.

Best of luck if your in this mess also.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
John and Caren,
We visited Quantico last fall and we have been cleaning up dead ones ever since. They seem to multiply when they are dead. We bombed (two bombs each time and one in the basement which is all open at the top pass through) and now several months later we are still seeing dead ones. I think tomorrow will require another bombing and thanks for the tip on the refrigerator vent. I'll stick one in there also.

The fortunate thing is that they eat only leafy plants, vegetables and fruits.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I realize this is an old thread but I had the problem this year. Was in the mountains in NC a few weeks ago. It was the first cold spell and the next day was fairly warm. Yep, that is the formula for these creatures to go seek a warm place for the winter.
Was totally disgusted by them and headed south to FL. The weather is warm here and that is when they come out to "play". Ugh.
I was able to find hundreds of them in the slide seals on the outside. But they do manage to slip through and into the living area. I am guessing I am over 500 caught so far. Only 30 today so I am thinking I am on the downside. May get the bombs listed above. Wondering if anyone used a trap with the light to assist?
Old 10-28-2017, 08:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I realize this is an old thread but I had the problem this year. Was in the mountains in NC a few weeks ago. It was the first cold spell and the next day was fairly warm. Yep, that is the formula for these creatures to go seek a warm place for the winter.
Was totally disgusted by them and headed south to FL. The weather is warm here and that is when they come out to "play". Ugh.
I was able to find hundreds of them in the slide seals on the outside. But they do manage to slip through and into the living area. I am guessing I am over 500 caught so far. Only 30 today so I am thinking I am on the downside. May get the bombs listed above. Wondering if anyone used a trap with the light to assist?
Raid Fumigator contains the only known available agent to kill them. One treatment and it should kill them off till another re-infestation.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #33

Foretravel Owners Club
We get the "Box Elder" bugs in the NW.
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:23 PM   #34

How have you mitigated for the 'Box Elder'?
EdD
Puget Sound
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:45 PM   #35

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
How have you mitigated for the 'Box Elder'?
EdD
Puget Sound
They don't stay around for very long, so just spray generic bug killer around foundation of house and fridge vent/ tires/power cable for the coach..
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #36
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The "Shield" bug (Stink bug) can be exterminated with any bomb containing cypermethrin. Lowe's has it. Little blue can and and may be Mfg'd by Raid.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:06 AM   #37

We got infested several years ago in NE GA. It took us many months of spraying with every kind of bug spray available. Even had our home pest service spray the RV. They crawled into every crack, opening, storage bin in the RV. I still find a dead one in one one of the bays still. Be persistent and you will win the battle even though it may seem futile now.
It really got bad when the DW was taking a shower and about 5 of them buzzed bombed her.
I also didnít know a dog could spit but when of the dogs jumped up and caught one, she spit it across the RV and dragged her tongue all over the floor to get rid of the taste
Old 10-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We were infested with them in the Shenandoah valley in Sept. this year. Have been killing a few ever since, down to about 2 a day. I did a google search and found that a spray bottle with water, Dawn, and white vinegar, does kill them. I sprayed all the slides and closets and door openings, seems to work for now however when it gets warmer when we are in Florida who knows ? I didn't want to bomb them as we live in our MH.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, I am down to only 3 yesterday. I am in FL and it is supposed to be in the 80's later this week. That will bring them out if there are any left. If they show up I have a Raid Fumigator ready. I tried the soap and water outside but can only use it outside IMO. My RV is now pretty clean without really washing it (trying to look at the bright side of this disgusting fiasco). It's amazing how sensitive I have become to their smell. I can smell one now before I see it. I then hunt it down. The slide seals were a haven for them. I vacuumed all that I could get to. I emptied my basement and went thru every storage container and got a bunch. It's now sit and wait.

Needless to say for me, I will NOT return to the mountains for the fall changing colors anywhere in the eastern part of the country ever I will be in the west where they are not such a problem, so far.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #40

Stink Bugs - Anyone else have problems???

Please remember.... if you fume, bomb, or spray them....they will be in your WALLS.
But only forever!
I always (did) release them so others may enjoy.
And we leave (now) well before they search for a winter haven.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have spent the month of October in Maggie Valley, NC for several years, but haven't been able to go the last two years because of medical problems. The last time we were there stink bugs were not a problem. Have they gotten down that far yet?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #42

The worst we got was in Sherando Park in Va off the Blue Ridge parkway. That was 2 years ago so they will probably be in Maggi Valley by now!! Haven't seen them yet in coastal VA but they are rife in the mountains.