Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

Storage bins in storage compartments?

Hi there,

I thought I'd tap into the RV Cosmic Consciousness on this issue. In our storage bins, things get to be a mess. I've tried those plastic boxes with the two flip-up lids to contain the mess, but would like another type better. I've looked for drawer-type storage containers at 10 stores and online, but they don't seem to fit. One friend turns them sideways in the compartments, but the drawers are pointed the wrong way. Has anyone found a decent solution to this? Here are the dimensions of my storage compartments:

1. 42 1/4 wide by 22 5/8 deep by 21 3/4 high
2. 46 wide by 23 5/8 deep by 12 3/4 high
3. 30 wide by 22 deep by 21 1/2 high
4. 45 wide by 22 1/2 deep by 24 high.

Most of the stackable drawers I've found aren't deep enough. I'd appreciate any pointers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am thinking of using tubs and label them water, electrical, tools, etc. They come in a variety of sizes and can be placed in various directions. For the smaller items I will be using smaller containers, also labeled and a big label on the holding tub. Will be no more than 2 stacked so it will be easy to get at anytime.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Hi there,

I thought I'd tap into the RV Cosmic Consciousness on this issue. In our storage bins, things get to be a mess. I've tried those plastic boxes with the two flip-up lids to contain the mess, but would like another type better. I've looked for drawer-type storage containers at 10 stores and online, but they don't seem to fit. One friend turns them sideways in the compartments, but the drawers are pointed the wrong way. Has anyone found a decent solution to this? Here are the dimensions of my storage compartments:

Most of the stackable drawers I've found aren't deep enough. I'd appreciate any pointers.

Well Sir,
While I can't help you with exact size storage systems, I can give you a few ideas based on lots of experience. In the pictures below, you'll see how I utilized as much "wall" space as I could, based on what and how, I mounted some of the much needed and used, items and components. I did this as an overtime assignment on the FD. I outfitted about 100 fire trucks and put them in service. It was my job to get all the specified equipment and components onto and in, the fire trucks supplied. And, that equipment had to be instantaneously available when any compartment door was opened, night or day.

Well, much of that kind of thinking was used when I set up my compartments on/in our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. I know that not all things can be "hung" or, mounted on walls or, in those kind of trays you see but, in doing things in such a manor, you learn to whittle things down to the necessities and, if possible, even some "nice to have stuff type things".

I also have one box of stuff that, is some "nice to have type stuff" and, it's tucked neatly behind other stuff that's needed much more readily and used much more frequently. But, in any case, this is kind of a hobby for me.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #4

Very nice! I can tell I have a lot to learn in this department.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #5

I keep mine in different size tubs without the lids. In one of my compartments I have my tools in a tool box, and then a small plastic tool box with drawers and a top compartment for all my extra parts type stuff, and then a tub with a complete oil change kit. The only thing I put a lid on is my plastic container for my dump hoses.

But in seeing Fire Up's set up that is nice and clean as well as accessable. Thanks for the photos, I will have to see how I can set that up in mine.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I keep mine in different size tubs without the lids. In one of my compartments I have my tools in a tool box, and then a small plastic tool box with drawers and a top compartment for all my extra parts type stuff, and then a tub with a complete oil change kit. The only thing I put a lid on is my plastic container for my dump hoses.

But in seeing Fire Up's set up that is nice and clean as well as accessable. Thanks for the photos, I will have to see how I can set that up in mine.
I want to thank you two for the nice comments. While I do have quite a bit of experience in setting up situations like what you see in the pictures, it's really not very hard. What you have to do is, primarily determine what's important to you in terms of what you want out in the open, and, hung on walls, ceilings of the compartments etc., just like what you see. If I want or need a quart of oil, I don't have to dig for it in a box or bin some place and don't have to un load more bins or boxes just to get to it.

This is true of all the items you see in the pics. Do I use ALL those items you see, every day while camping, heck no. Do I need them in split second decision making timing, nope. But, one of the primary benefits in this kind of organization is, YOU KNOW WHERE EVERY THING IS, and, in which compartment etc.

I still have situations where things are "stacked" etc. Things like chairs, lawn matts, stuff like that. There's not a whole lot you can do in organizing things like that.

But, if any of you get interested in setting up your compartments like those you see, PM me and I'd be glad to give you some suggestions on procedures, what to look for, things to be careful of, bracketry, and much more. It's kind of fun for me.

One more thing. If you plan on setting up a compartment similar to what you see, the first thing, as stated, is to determine what you want either mounted or "hung" on a wall. Then, get a piece of cardboard that's the same size as that wall. Then, take that cardboard and lay it out on your work bench and, start to layout all your tools etc. that will be placed on that wall. Arrange them, re-arranged them, do it again and again 'till you see a pattern or layout that you're happy with.

Take into consideration that, you'll need room for install and removal of the tools etc. That is, you may have lift the tool out of the mounting system you created so, you'll need room for you to lift it out. That will apply to any and all items you install. Anyway, don't hesitate to ask.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
In my compartments with roll out floors, I use various sized plastic tubs with covers intermingled with stand alone items like a grill, bucket, and charcoal.

I do not need to label the containers as I segregate their contents by purpose and place them in separate basement compartments. (ie. house parts, chassis parts, cleaning supplies, electrical parts, dump hoses, etc.).

Tools are in a small tool box. Chairs and rugs are stacked in a fixed floor compartment along with tables, fishing poles, cleaning brush pole on the other side. Some stuff is hanging on the wall for easy access.

FireUp has things very organized for easy access that I seldom need quickly or even use. So everybody has different needs and priorities.

My storage compartments have evolved over the years as the items I thought I needed are no longer on the rig but other items have been added.

The biggest challenge is flexibility of space to accommodate that big item that is needed just for this trip.

For instance, I added a basement TV on a swivel mount. I then removed the basement TV on a swivel mount. It was fun to do the mod but we did not use that TV so out it came.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Milk crates are stackable and come in two basic sizes. I found these to be a partial solution to storage.

Milk Crates Direct! SAVE BIG!!!
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #9

I have been looking for drawer sets two or three high...the plastic ones. The problem with storage boxes is having to dive into them from the top or remove the whole box from the storage bay.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #10

In addition to some custom racks/shelves I built, I was able to find containers to fix odd sized places and hold odd sized things at a place called the container store. One opened up near us and they have all kinds of storage solutions. http://www.containerstore.com/locati...ns-Brand-Exact
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Hi there,

If I was really into this subject, I would hire a carpenter to build what I needed. Now, that's class.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage