Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
That would be a good poll subject for one of chief's to put up.

greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #16
I'm a newbie, but live on my boat (until sold-then MH), but does any one use the shrink wrap/vented system that many boaters use to store their boats in winter? Many boaters shrink wrap their boats with vents installed and zippered doors and dehumidifiers with 2 light bulbs heaters and the boats are great in the spring. There are even services that will come to your location and do it for you. Not sure if would b perfect, but wrapped outside storage might work.

Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
That would be a good poll subject for one of chief's to put up.
Any member can start a poll. You too can be chief for a day .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-210104086.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	33362

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
I don't have a MH but I store my TT in a totally enclosed Storage unit. Previously I had it under a Covered spot which worked well, but someone broke into my ( and several other TT's) by going through the skylight ( yes skylight, had to be a kid or a adult with a kid lowering them down.

While I don't like paying $135 a month for enclosed storage ( at a new storage place), it does make me feel a little more secure plus we are able to store some of my wifes items ( i.e. junk) at the storage so we kind of killed 2 birds with 2 stones. I do have power at the storage but it is just enough to run some of the smaller items. I could run my fridge, battery charger etc, still not sure if I am going to do that unless I am about to head out for a trip.

There is one other place in near my home that offers the same storage minus power and they are 200 per month.

With all of this being said, I didn't pay anyway near what a MH cost, but I think it will keep my TT if great shape for a while.

If I had property I think I would build some kind of barn or shop to store it.

just my 2 cents
Drake, Kathy, & Kaitlyn
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E Gasser
drakethib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by jnealy View Post
We just took delivery of our new-to-us Tiffin Allegro Red this week, and we're planning on taking off for our big trip in the next 2 or 3 months. We're currently living in Florida, just a block or two off of the Gulf. We have room to park the RV at our house, but we're concerned about the salt air, so we don't want to keep it here for the full 3 months. So we're going to move it to a storage area, and our first thought was that we would put it into enclosed storage. After a few phone calls this morning I have discovered how expensive that is as compared to putting it in outside storage.

So my question is - is it worth the extra money to put it in enclosed storage for 2-3 months? The place I'm looking at is about 45 minutes north, so salt air wouldn't be as much of a concern. But what about rain, heat, sun, etc? Is there anything to be concerned about having it in open storage for a few months? Should we buy a cover? Or should we just pony up and pay for the enclosed storage? What do those of you who don't drive yours full time do when your RV is not in use?

Thanks in advance!!
Personally, I don't believe 2 or 3 months will matter either way you go. Save the money for gas, and don't waste money on a cover.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
Freightliner Owners Club
Pac Northwest has a whole different set of problems than Florida. We kept our previous two motorhomes outside in secure storage and the weather definitely took its toll. I wound up replacing significant portions of interior walls due to water damage on both rigs and lost a good 3k resale value on the last one.

Bought a 35' dp last March and found covered, powered storage. Too much of an investment to leave outside, at least until we go fulltime.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When looking for storage, don't just think RV storage. There are many other storage facilities around. My first place was in a warehouse, secure, no power, mine was the only RV in it. Then I found room in a boat dealership...50 x 20 garage, locked with power for $150/mo. No more worries about sun, wind, hail, snow, ice plus, having power, I leave it plugged in all the time. Also, I put a 5 x 7 storage building in a rear corner so I can store some MH stuff there and not at home.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote