Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #1

Storage - Enclosed or open?

We just took delivery of our new-to-us Tiffin Allegro Red this week, and we're planning on taking off for our big trip in the next 2 or 3 months. We're currently living in Florida, just a block or two off of the Gulf. We have room to park the RV at our house, but we're concerned about the salt air, so we don't want to keep it here for the full 3 months. So we're going to move it to a storage area, and our first thought was that we would put it into enclosed storage. After a few phone calls this morning I have discovered how expensive that is as compared to putting it in outside storage.

So my question is - is it worth the extra money to put it in enclosed storage for 2-3 months? The place I'm looking at is about 45 minutes north, so salt air wouldn't be as much of a concern. But what about rain, heat, sun, etc? Is there anything to be concerned about having it in open storage for a few months? Should we buy a cover? Or should we just pony up and pay for the enclosed storage? What do those of you who don't drive yours full time do when your RV is not in use?

Thanks in advance!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

"rain, heat, sun, etc" did the previous owner have it stored indoor?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
"rain, heat, sun, etc" did the previous owner have it stored indoor?
Yes, it's our understanding the previous owner stored in indoors when it wasn't in use.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If it's stay outside is only "temorary" I'd say leave it out, but, in the future it will sit for a while, inside is worth the expense. The sun will do damage not only to the exterior, but inside as well (seals, material, cushions, wood work, etc).
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have an indoor storage unit with separate bay, 14' bay door and separate entrance door. $225/MO...best piece of mind investment we have.

We have seen a fairly new Newmar with SIGNIFICANT salty air damage to it when it was parked near a coast line. The floor plan was outstanding and the interior was beautiful. You could hardly give it to me for free...ok...for free yes but not for much of my hard earned cash. I couldn't even begin to guess how much it would cost to abate the salt damage.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #6

My vote would be to store your coach indoors. While I would worry about the salt air somewhat, I would be more worried about the effect that the sun has on your coach. Our coach is indoors unless we are using it. Just my $.02 worth!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

If it will be exposed 80% of the time, in 10 years it will endure 8 years of wear.

Will another 2 years of wear affect the appearance or value enough to matter?

Just asking.....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
when you say inside, do you mean like in a garage? We have ours in a storage yard technically outside, we are under a large carport, so it is out of the sun and elements.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

Man....are these things sensitive! Can't leave them out in the sun...can't park them in the rain.... can't park them too close to the ocean.... can't park them in the desert.....need to run the generator every month.....can't drive them on winter roads.....drain & winterize...need power or the $$$ batteries crap-out...don't forget fuel stabilizers, biocides, lubricators.... jacks-up / jacks-down...slides-in / slides-out....plywood under the tires...air-up -air-down...dehumidifier /. humidifier...???

No doubt indoor storage with heat/AC & power solves most if not all the problems.....including security $$$$$. After that everything is a compromise... just glad we live & travel in ours....I'm selling rather than storing when we drop anchor!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Man....are these things sensitive! Can't leave them out in the sun...can't park them in the rain.... can't park them too close to the ocean.... can't park them in the desert.....need to run the generator every month.....can't drive them on winter roads.....drain & winterize...need power or the $$$ batteries crap-out...don't forget fuel stabilizers, biocides, lubricators.... jacks-up / jacks-down...slides-in / slides-out....plywood under the tires...air-up -air-down...dehumidifier /. humidifier...???

No doubt indoor storage with heat/AC & power solves most if not all the problems.....including security $$$$$. After that everything is a compromise... just glad we live & travel in ours....I'm selling rather than storing when we drop anchor!
While I can detect your cleverly disguised tongue-in-cheek...

I think there are some different situations that call for different answers. As an example, clearly FT use means no storage but a FTer will be there to detect problems. Now, I'm not there yet and I also have a "new" MH with out any history to seeing any leaks. I don't see any evidence but my first inclination is to keep my baby in the hanger for the winter.

I guess my point is that for those that are not going to be close to the MH and/or use it less frequently, storage is an important step to keep it in good shape. I'm looking forward to canceling my storage spot when we hit the road.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
No questions about it, if you are not going to use it for months at a time .......INDOOR storage for sure if you can afford it. (plugged in also would be a bonus) Protect your investment the best way you can. When I was looking for a used DP , If it was not stored inside when not in use I did not even consider it. Mine had 28,000 on it and was 9 tears old and I have had people ask me if it was new. (it is still stored in a heated bldg. when not in use)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't address the salt concern off the Gulf. But the general question of inside storage I can. We live up North and have always stored our MH inside during the 6 mos. of non-use. Shop around and don't be bound to RV storage sites only. Place an ad in your local paper. Our cost is under $400 for the season.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #13

Before we launched the land yacht on this years-long journey, we stored it in an outdoor storage facility in the middle of zip-point-nuthin in PA, and kept a Tyvek cover on it in the winter. It was $30 per month.
Indoor storage was about $250.
And, after 10 months on the road, I'm finally gaining enough confidence in the new rig that the constant "dad look" is fading.
Life is good, and getting better every day!
Happy trails, everybody

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63
when you say inside, do you mean like in a garage? We have ours in a storage yard technically outside, we are under a large carport, so it is out of the sun and elements.
Us too with large 5th wheels on one side - Class A behind us. The 5th wheel on the other side moved out - not sure who's moving in but usually only the front end sees any sun or real weather at all. I priced indoor and it was all taken and at $325 a month and up, I didn't put my name on the waiting list. I do put the big foil roll in the the cockpit glass. Pull down the MCD night shades everywhere else. My end of summer wax looks like it did the day it was applied. I would want to keep salt air off of it for long term.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage