Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Storing Class A in Florida

I am looking at purchasing a used motorhome in Florida and concerned about having to store it for a few weeks at a time, any thoughts would help .
Thabks
doopbreathno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Lots and lots of them are stored all over the place. What are you concerned about? Finding a place or the heat and sun?
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

I live in Florida with a coach. I ask the same question as Tom. What is the concern and what part of Florida are you concerned about for storing the unit during the time it is not being utilized?
Pacakazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Me too ( live in Fl ) . What are your concerns ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
concern aout temporary storage in Florida

I now live in Fort Meyers area and do not know what I would want to do to protect Motorhome outside in this area, ie. storage lot?

I came from Oregon where we stored our motor home outside and no big deal other than freeze weather.
doopbreathno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

If it's a coach you plan on hanging on to for a few years, I'd plan on covering it to minimize sun related maintenance and maximize resale. If you can find a storage lot that's kind of sheltered from the wind, so much the better. Will make keeping the cover on and in good shape much easier.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Yes.....the Florida sun will cook your coach .. So if you can find covered storage you will preserve the value of you coach. Also power at the facility so you can leave your A/C on ( at a high temp ) to save the inside from heat damage would be worth it.

Good luck with your search for a coach......
Belladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Storing class a in florida

I never covered my two MH's and didn't suffer any damage due to the sun over and above normal weathering. Covered storage would of course be ideal but not necessary IMO. I was plugged in but didn't run the AC. I left three roof vents open ( maxxair covered ) to allow air flow and never had mold or heat damage. The same was true of the boats I owned.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #9

I keep mine in a covered storage facility. It's nice to know when the almost daily afternoon summer storms come through here in southwest Florida, I don't need to worry about hail or wind damage.
I think in the long run piece of mind is all I'm getting. If I kept it at my house and put the same money into having it detailed and waxed a couple times a year I'd probably have enough left over to have it fully painted in ten years.

One other benefit from my covered storage is the whole facility is enclosed like a fort with steel walls and concrete floors. This makes it much less susceptible to rodents/snakes etc that lurk in SW florida.
I don't know... So far I've had no weather/sun damage and no rodent issues. But over a lifetime is it worth it?
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, florida