RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

Storing coach outside in winter

Hi,

The indoor place I usually use for winter may not be able to fit me in this year due to construction so may have to store the coach at home on a concrete pad.

Winnebago advise against using a cover, have basment air so no roof air units to worry about. I am in the process of fitting Max air vent covers on the 2 vents.

Pad is on the north side of the house and the front will be facing east, I do have tire covers. We don't get a massive amount of snow here at all.

The big thing is it will allow me to work on the coach over the winter.

Am I foolish to contemplate this?

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably not, but it would help if you also posted your area of the country.
I've stored ever rig I've ever owned outside since 1968. But I'm in WA state just north of Portland OR and have mild winters with only a few weeks of below 32 each year. My winterizing consists of being sure to keep some heat in it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
tcg

Not foolish at all, I don't know the numbers but safe to say it's a whole lot of people that store their rigs outside uncovered.

The place I store mine has a few hundred stored outside.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #4

Hi Mr D,

I thought I had Michigan in my signature, maybe it did not display as using the App.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

Hi Tcg,

From my visits to Detroit we get about the same amount of snow. I am lucky we don't get much Lake effect anow here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Not foolish at all, I don't know the numbers but safe to say it's a whole lot of people that store their rigs outside uncovered.

The place I store mine has a few hundred stored outside.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #6

Ha, if you are foolish to contemplate it then I've been a fool for the last 40 or so years for doing it. That is what I've done through 2 TC's and 2 MH's. I always winterize with the pink stuff and place a blue plastic tarp over them. I had a cover once, but the wind wore holes in it and it was heavy to deal with, so I went back to tarps.

I always install a water heater bi-pass in our campers, and a kit that allows the pink stuff to be pulled into the pump from a container without putting it in the tank. I drain the tank and water heater. Your MH is a little larger, but I only use a bit more than a gallon to protect everything with that system. I work on ours during winter and use a portable electric heater to stay warm.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Ha, if you are foolish to contemplate it then I've been a fool for the last 40 or so years for doing it. That is what I've done through 2 TC's and 2 MH's. I always winterize with the pink stuff and place a blue plastic tarp over them. I had a cover once, but the wind wore holes in it and it was heavy to deal with, so I went back to tarps.

I always install a water heater bi-pass in our campers, and a kit that allows the pink stuff to be pulled into the pump from a container without putting it in the tank. I drain the tank and water heater. Your MH is a little larger, but I only use a bit more than a gallon to protect everything with that system. I work on ours during winter and use a portable electric heater to stay warm.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I had to smile at that :-)

I have a pair of oil filled ceramic heaters I use for the same purpose. I had a 30 amp receptacle installed when I got the drive done.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #8

I won't be removing the batteries but did install a physical battery disconnect. I can plug in the power on occasion to top up the batteries or if I am working on the coach.

I purchased 2 Max air vent 2 vent covers.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #9

I live in Ontario, and have had to store mine for the last two winters outside. Previous TT were always stored outside. Just be prepared to do some gentle shovelling if it starts to build up too much. If I have ten inches on mine, I will shovel it off. Probably safe for more than that, but better safe than sorry. A few times we got mid winter rain. I always make sure it is cleared off before a rain. Rain adds weight to snow very quickly, and could possibly back water up somewhere.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #10

I am in Tx 100 miles north of Houston. Mine is outside under a canopy with open sides. Always keep it plugged in with the slides in but have the heat on during cold weather. My basement is heated and Will come on automatically when temperatures reach about 40 deg. If I want to do something with it I put the slides out and work on it year around. I am lucky as I live on 20 acres so room is not a factor and no one can tell me what I can park or do out here
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #11

Thanks both for for the replies.

If there is snow on the roof I will definitely not be going up on it.

I read somewhere that I could probably get the snow off from the ground with a roof shovel,
Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #12

I have always stored mine outside on a gravel pad. Run the pink stuff through the plumbing system , charge the batteries and disconnect them. I open the roof vents and a couple of windows. The motorhome is covered with a large tarp that goes down the sides and a couple of feet on the front and back. I also set a 1/2 dozen mouse traps inside. I use a ladder and push broom to remove the snow when it gets over a foot or so.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks both for for the replies.

If there is snow on the roof I will definitely not be going up on it.

I read somewhere that I could probably get the snow off from the ground with a roof shovel,
It can be done, but not very easily. With all the units on top of the rv, it is difficult to get around everything without causing damage. I generally pay for covered storage if Im not heading south. The last two winters I was planning on taking my rv, but ended up leaving it at home. Two winters ago, I still went south without my rv, and had my brother shovel it for me. Take some pictures of the the roof top, and if it gets too much hire someone to go up there. You can supervise from the ladder. The pictures will be helpful to remember or show someone where all the penetrations are. Slow and gentle is the key. Skylights, and roof vents are pretty low profile. Plastic is freezing temps wont take much abuse.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #14

We're in Wisconsin where snow falls and temps can go to -20F. We've always stored outdoors. A few things we do to prep:
  • Properly winterize all parts of the plumbing system.
  • Fully charge batteries. We leave the multi-stage charge attached and charging all winter, but I do check occasionally to make sure nothing has failed. If you disconnect, you'll need to check for charge status throughout the winter. Discharged batteries will freeze.
  • Shovel snow from around coach to leave at least a shovel's width clear. This is to prevent critters from using the snow to gain access to the coach from underneath, and to keep them from using the coach as shelter and hiding under it.
  • We're on gravel, so before winter I make sure that there are no weeds growing under or near the coach. Again, to prevent critters from living under/near the coach.
  • We put Damp-Rid throughout the coach, especially in kitchen cabinets and bathroom cabinets. When the sun shines it's possible to get condensation inside the coach, even on really cold days, since it warms the inside of the glass.

Tags
winter