Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Stove grommets update

Recently purchased a 2010 Thor Serrano RV and the Dometic stove grommets were all split and failing to hold the burner grills in place. Checked around and found it nearly impossible to find the tiny gray grommets and when I did it was going to cost me mucho dinero to buy 8 grommets & have them shipped to me.

Plan "B"... drill out the grommet holes and install the less expensive larger grommets my local RV store carried.

Photos show the stove top and the two burners with the old (tiny) style grommets
and the one hole not yet drilled out...

7/16 drill bit to enlarge the holes to fit the new larger grommets...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	113382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	113383  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a little secret. Your drilling out of the holes is a good idea, but the larger ones still fail frequently, but as you know they're cheaper and easier to find.

I wanted a better solution to the cheap grommets. I replaced mine with tire valve stems. Valve stems come in several sizes. You have the larger ones that fit cars, but they make smaller ones, sold at places like Walmart, that are used on wheel barrels and other small tires. I took the smaller ones and sawed off the tube or thinner portion of the valve stem, leaving what looks like a grommet.

The material is much tougher and isn't easily destroyed by the heat of the stove. It takes a little work to cut them ( I used a hacksaw) but they last SUBSTANTIALLY longer.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here is a little secret. Your drilling out of the holes is a good idea, but the larger ones still fail frequently, but as you know they're cheaper and easier to find.

I wanted a better solution to the cheap grommets. I replaced mine with tire valve stems. Valve stems come in several sizes. You have the larger ones that fit cars, but they make smaller ones, sold at places like Walmart, that are used on wheel barrels and other small tires. I took the smaller ones and sawed off the tube or thinner portion of the valve stem, leaving what looks like a grommet.

The material is much tougher and isn't easily destroyed by the heat of the stove. It takes a little work to cut them ( I used a hacksaw) but they last SUBSTANTIALLY longer.
Clever idea, I like to improvise with these kinds of remedies.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Grommet "upgrade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Great idea Dutch..! Coincidentally (I mean REALLY coincidentally) yesterday I cut
the end off a long tire valve stem to install on one of the bladders for my fishing float tube... too bad I tossed out the "grommet end" prior to reading this.

Me thinks I will update these grommets with your idea when my present ideas melt
Old 12-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6152 View Post
Recently purchased a 2010 Thor Serrano RV and the Dometic stove grommets were all split and failing to hold the burner grills in place. Checked around and found it nearly impossible to find the tiny gray grommets and when I did it was going to cost me mucho dinero to buy 8 grommets & have them shipped to me.

Plan "B"... drill out the grommet holes and install the less expensive larger grommets my local RV store carried.

Photos show the stove top and the two burners with the old (tiny) style grommets
and the one hole not yet drilled out...

7/16 drill bit to enlarge the holes to fit the new larger grommets...
Have you contacted Dometic? We had a similar problem with our Atwood stove. We called Atwood and they sent us a bag of grommets at no charge.