Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 04:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Unhappy Stranded in Newfoundland - ACS Fault

Here we are in central Newfoundland, about 50 miles west of Gander after our engine check light (amber) came on yesterday and the engine derated.

The problems first occurred about 100 miles east of here. The fault light and engine derate only lasted for a couple of minutes then all seemed well. At our first opportunity I pulled into a roadside area to do a visual but found nothing. When the engine restarted, the warning alarm was going again. A phone call to Cummins informed us that the closest Cumming service associate was 100 miles to the west.

We talked to them on the phone and checked the most likely suspects but were unable to shed additional light on the fault. We started heading west with the warning sounding multiple times but going off again a short while later, sometimes affecting engine power and sometimes not. The last 60 miles all went well. We got to the shop, Smithy's Road Service in Bishop Falls, and checking the fault codes indicated an inactive Accelerator Control Sensor fault.

The shop is trying to find one no but we have no idea yet as to how long that might take so we're boondocking in the shop yard.

-------------------

Has anyone else had a ACS fault and/or can anyone shed additional information on this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #2

I believe that in some circles the part is referred to as a throttle position sensor. I have one but never had problem with it but you can do a search for TPS under the Cummins power train section and you should get several hits. Good luck.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder

ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

I have never heard of a Accelerator Control Sensor but if ecurb is correct and its a TPS, a very common name... than I suggest the following....

When I call my local Cummins dealer their computer will tell me instantly if they have the part and if not, where it is at in the county and how long to get it... I'm not comfortable on how your being treated...

take your engine serial # and call Cummins... they can identity the part by part # and tell you exactly what warehouse its sitting in... and how long it will take to get it...

I assume your dealing with a associate dealer... one who fixes them but doesn't stock parts.. they should have a dealer who sponsors them... that dealer will have a computer connection to Cummins and can also tell you where the part is sitting....

In either case... if you feel you are being held captive by this guy... by all means let Cummins know as well as his sponsor dealer... This is not an image they wish to project to their customers..
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Keep in mind, error codes point to the problem area, they often do not identify the specific part to be replaced or repaired. That part may be tested with a VOM before throwing money at the problem. Low voltage can be the cause, however the main thing to check is how smoothly and continuously voltage increases and decreases.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
I believe that in some circles the part is referred to as a throttle position sensor. I have one but never had problem with it but you can do a search for TPS under the Cummins power train section and you should get several hits. Good luck.
Your are likely correct on the name. He may have used a different name or I simply got it wrong later when I typed up the post - it's happened before.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
I have never heard of a Accelerator Control Sensor but if ecurb is correct and its a TPS, a very common name... than I suggest the following....

When I call my local Cummins dealer their computer will tell me instantly if they have the part and if not, where it is at in the county and how long to get it... I'm not comfortable on how your being treated...

take your engine serial # and call Cummins... they can identity the part by part # and tell you exactly what warehouse its sitting in... and how long it will take to get it...

I assume your dealing with a associate dealer... one who fixes them but doesn't stock parts.. they should have a dealer who sponsors them... that dealer will have a computer connection to Cummins and can also tell you where the part is sitting....

In either case... if you feel you are being held captive by this guy... by all means let Cummins know as well as his sponsor dealer... This is not an image they wish to project to their customers..
In no way did I feel the dealer was trying to hold me captive or ripping me off on the diagnosis or parts. They run a very busy shop but put other work aside to try to help us out and even gave me a list of the part numbers and the parts contact at Spartan so I could check it out myself. They also discussed the option of proceeding with our trip, since the alarm had not gone off for the prior 60 miles, and having it looked at later during our trip when timing and cost were not as dramatic. I feel Smithy's Road Service in Bishop Falls, NL went above and beyond in trying to help us out.

In the end we decided to carry on and hope that nothing further happens until we're back on the mainland and hopefully across the border into the US where the cost drops considerably. Getting the parts here means they have to be shipped, go through customs, get taxed both federally and provincially and then make their way up here to Newfoundland.

We only had 50 miles to go, east, back the way we came, to our next stop and then west again past Bishop Falls so that gives us a test window while we're still reasonably close to their shop if it does fail again.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Keep in mind, error codes point to the problem area, they often do not identify the specific part to be replaced or repaired. That part may be tested with a VOM before throwing money at the problem. Low voltage can be the cause, however the main thing to check is how smoothly and continuously voltage increases and decreases.
I am not good with electrical so testing with a voltmeter may be beyond my skill set and few repair shops test and repair parts any longer but simply replace them instead.

If we make it south of the US border without incident I may ask here on the forum for suggestions of a shop that might be willing to actually check the sensor. I have heard of some shops that will rebuild/repair them. After we're south we will be heading to Atlanta, GA where we'll be storing the coach for a month or two so possible lady luck will smile on us and we can get it done down there.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I had a throttle position sensor go out and the engine would only idle--not rev even in neutral. On my Monaco, you can clear the code by turning the key on and off five times without starting the engine. Turn it on and leave it on about ten seconds, then turn it off. Do it five times. There are four different error codes associated with the TPS, but replacing the sensor usually fixes all four. The TPS sensor is only about $70 and takes about 20 minutes to replace.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The Cummins troubleshooting guide says if the remote TPS fails the engine will not respond to throttle inputs. If the accelerator pedal position sensor fails, the engine derates.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #10

If we understand correctly you may have a "fly by wire" throttle.

In reading about how our 6.0 ford works they explain the throttle is basically a pot (volume control) that gives a variable voltage to the ecm.

However just like old radios that get noisy they can do same so they have 3 in parallel.

If one makes noise the other 2 are still good.

If one fails the other 2 are good but yiu get a CEL (check engine light)

If 2 fail you get CEL and limp mode.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If we understand correctly you may have a "fly by wire" throttle.

In reading about how our 6.0 ford works they explain the throttle is basically a pot (volume control) that gives a variable voltage to the ecm.

However just like old radios that get noisy they can do same so they have 3 in parallel.

If one makes noise the other 2 are still good.

If one fails the other 2 are good but yiu get a CEL (check engine light)

If 2 fail you get CEL and limp mode.
Cummins has been using a Hall effect device for a TPS since the introduction of electronic fuel injection in the late 90s. it's surprising they fail as often as they do.