Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #1

OK, Thanks to everyone for their suggestion on the leveling system problem, now that that one is solved I have a couple of new questions that's came up...

First off we have a 2001 National SeaView 8331
and have the automatic steps, I'm afraid I don't know the manufacturer of the steps.

Anyways, when we turn them off with the switch that's supposed to turn them from the automatic (opens/closes with door) poistion like when we want them to remain out when we're at a campsite, sometimes they will randomly continue to operate automatically anyway.

Anyone ever have this problem and were you ever able to solve it?

In a somewhat related question - Today I climbed under the coach to change the fuel filter and to take a look at the steps from the backside to see if anything looked obviously amiss... While there I noticed on the bottom of the steps assembly that there is a round yellow/orange lens with a bulb inside, a marker light like you'd expect to see on the side of a trailer. I have NEVER noticed any light coming from under there... does anyone know what this light is for?

Also, a question of lighting in another area. One of the switches on the slide out control panel says "Compartment", Someone said that was to turn on the lighs that some of the side storage compartments have in them. The switch itself even appears to be the kind that illuminates, not sure if it's the kind that always should be illuminated or only when it's in the on position. Anyways, it NEVER illuminates nor to any of those lighs in the compartments ever come on. I pulled the switch out where I could get to the backside of it and it does have power coming in on one of the three terminals and when in the on position also has power on one of the other terminals. I only had a test light (as opposed to a multitester) so couldn't check to see if the third terminal was grounded
but since the switch appears as though it should illuminat the third terminal being ground would make sense, but even a bulb in the switch being burnt out or a lack of ground on that third terminal should not keep the lights in the comparments from working since the power does appear to be going back out when the switch is in the on position and there are no blown fuses anywhere.

Anyone have an idea?

Does anyone have experiance with what happens if a bulb in a compartment burns out?
Ie. Could they have wired it in chain similar to a string of Christmas lights where if one bulb burns out they all quit working?

If they did wire them like that it's gonna be fun trying finding the burnt out bulb out of probably 8 compartments and 12 lighs but I'd like to have an idea if that's what it may be before I go trying to check them all one at a time, or should I be looking elsewhere if they are not wired like that...?...

- SouthernGypsy
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #2

OK, Thanks to everyone for their suggestion on the leveling system problem, now that that one is solved I have a couple of new questions that's came up...

First off we have a 2001 National SeaView 8331
and have the automatic steps, I'm afraid I don't know the manufacturer of the steps.

Anyways, when we turn them off with the switch that's supposed to turn them from the automatic (opens/closes with door) poistion like when we want them to remain out when we're at a campsite, sometimes they will randomly continue to operate automatically anyway.

Anyone ever have this problem and were you ever able to solve it?

In a somewhat related question - Today I climbed under the coach to change the fuel filter and to take a look at the steps from the backside to see if anything looked obviously amiss... While there I noticed on the bottom of the steps assembly that there is a round yellow/orange lens with a bulb inside, a marker light like you'd expect to see on the side of a trailer. I have NEVER noticed any light coming from under there... does anyone know what this light is for?

Also, a question of lighting in another area. One of the switches on the slide out control panel says "Compartment", Someone said that was to turn on the lighs that some of the side storage compartments have in them. The switch itself even appears to be the kind that illuminates, not sure if it's the kind that always should be illuminated or only when it's in the on position. Anyways, it NEVER illuminates nor to any of those lighs in the compartments ever come on. I pulled the switch out where I could get to the backside of it and it does have power coming in on one of the three terminals and when in the on position also has power on one of the other terminals. I only had a test light (as opposed to a multitester) so couldn't check to see if the third terminal was grounded
but since the switch appears as though it should illuminat the third terminal being ground would make sense, but even a bulb in the switch being burnt out or a lack of ground on that third terminal should not keep the lights in the comparments from working since the power does appear to be going back out when the switch is in the on position and there are no blown fuses anywhere.

Anyone have an idea?

Does anyone have experiance with what happens if a bulb in a compartment burns out?
Ie. Could they have wired it in chain similar to a string of Christmas lights where if one bulb burns out they all quit working?

If they did wire them like that it's gonna be fun trying finding the burnt out bulb out of probably 8 compartments and 12 lighs but I'd like to have an idea if that's what it may be before I go trying to check them all one at a time, or should I be looking elsewhere if they are not wired like that...?...

- SouthernGypsy
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With regard to your steps, the orange light is an illumination light that should come on when the steps are out when the disable switch is on.

The steps should retract, when the door closes, any time the ignition switch is on regardless of the position of the disable switch.

I suggest you pull one of the compartment bulbs and check for voltage at the socket.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #4

Hum, The steps seem to have a mind of their own at times and open or retract even when their switch is in the off postion and it's happening without the ignition switch being on or the keys even being in the ignition switch like parked at campgrounds. We can park and they may stay out for a day or two and then suddendly without having even put the keys in the ignition or messing with the control switch for the steps at all you might close the door and suddenly they go in on their own. Once they go in on their own they will ALWAYS come back out on their own when the door is opened again, but then may stay out for the next 10 or 15 trips trough the door. Just what every coach needs... Haunted steps!

I'll have to check on that orange illumination light under the steps tomorrow because it's never came on under any conditions so the bulb may be burnt out.

I did get to thinking about the compartment light thing after writing awhile ago and remembered noticing on one of our first trips after buying the coach that the lens in the water and waste management compartment was chiped in one corner with a small hole in one upper corner and got a sudden hunch. So I went out a little bit ago (yea, in the dark with a flashlight but it was bugging me) and checked and the bulb was silvered, cold water on hot bulb maybe? So I changed the bulb and now all the compartment lights are coming on now. Gezzz, I can't believe they wired them in series like a string of Christmas lights, if I hadn't remembered seeing that crack before and getting a sudden hunch about a cracked lens cover in a compartment where water is present I could have spent an hour or more removing every lens and checking each bulb one by one. I'll get a new lens cover for that light tomorrow.

The light in the switch itself still doesn't come on though, I'm thinking it must be burnt out. If the auto parts store has a switch just like it (I think it may be a fairly common switch) I'll just get one and try changing it. It's the type where you can't change the bulb itself, you just have to change the whole switch but I think they're only a couple of bucks.

- SouthernGypsy
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
http://kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/875.pdf

I am not sure which model of steps you have but there web site has manuals for quite a few. If the link above is not the correct manual check the website and see if you can find the one you have.

I was able to use the manual to troubleshoot a problme with my steps. Mine turned out to have a bad magneticlly operated door switch in the door frame. Yours may have a different problem. There are three main wires for control. One applies power anytime the ignition switch is turned which will cause the steps to retract no matter how the other two switches are set. The other two signals come from the manual off switch which will keep the steps out when the door is closed and the door sense switch which is operated by a magnet in the door when the door is closed.

Mine had iradtic operation for awhile and finally went to a hard failure.

Also unplug the connection to the steps because it may have taken in water and have corrosion. Mine did.

Good luck,

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The light by my steps works a bit different than Dale mentioned in his post. The light comes on when my entry light button is turned on. I have three entry lights. They are at the top of the door, by the assistance handle and the one you mentioned, by the steps. The position of the steps has nothing to do with if this light is on or off. It is the entry light switch that controls all three lights.

On the matter of the compartment light switch, it is good that the switch is wired the way it is. Many are like me, we leave all the individual compartment light switches in the on position. We turn on/off all compartment lights with the switch mentioned in your post. Having a single switch, on the inside of the coach, allows for much convenience.
1. There is no wondering if one left a compartment switch on or off. This seemed to happen only at night when it was raining.
2. There is no double back tracking when a compartment light will not come on, due to the interrior master switch being turned off. This is another mystery nobody in the traveling party would admit to.
Consider turning all your individual basement compartment lights to the on position and using only the interrior master switch when lights are needed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #7

Well, I got some new switches and changed out the switch for the comparment lights with a new one so now it illuminates red when on and while I was in there at the request of my wife I also added a illuminated switch with a blue light for the porch light by the door so now she'll know when it's on and also changed out the switch for the interior celing light with an illuminated one with a yellow light wired so it is always illuminated. We never can find the darn thing when we first come in and sometimes hit the wrong switch on the pannel in the dark if we'd turned out all the interior lights before leaving such as being gone all day and getting back after dark. Turns out the yellow light is also bright enough to gently illuminate the interior steps so they're not totally dark. Whole thing took about 30 minutes.

Also got bulbs for that burnt out compartment light and the orange light under the steps BUT
the orange light under the steps still never comes on. Tried it with the step switch both on and off, the porch light on with the step switch in both positions, even tried turning on the park lights with the step in both positions and the porch light in both positions, and EVERY possible combination of all of the switches.

Soooo I'm still stumped on this orange light under the steps.

- SouthernGypsy
Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #8

The first item on my troubleshooting list for a problem like you are having with the steps would to check be grounding. Make sure the ground wire for the step motor is not loose and/or corroded.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #9

Here is something likely to fix the haunted steps. The magnetic sensor on the door can go bad just as mine did. It will tell the steps that the door is open when it isn't. The two parts to the sensor may just be mounted too far apart. In my case my haunted steps appeared to have some water in the sensor and they would not retract whenever the temp was below freezing. I could warm them up and solve the problem.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:31 AM   #10

The light under the steps is controlled by the steps. You can try removing the cover and tracing the wires. After a quick look there I would call the step manufacturer if you find no obvious solution. They can point you to the wires and switches in question. Beyond a certain point having the manufacturer involved saves a lot of time and guessing.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think Freddy is on to something! Loose or corroded ground. Could have the reason both are not working!! If you find the ground and that fixes the steps, I'd bet the light will too!!

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote