Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Strangest RV Incident Ever Experienced..

In my 25+ years of RVing, i have never heard of anything like we experienced last week!

We were camped in Bar Harbor ME for the week and had been there 4 nights. At 2:30 AM we were awoken from our sleep by a HUGE crash. Both of us bolted upright from sleep to find that our shower door had shattered. We had the 3 panel sliding door and one of the panels had shattered. It looked like a 20 lb bag of ice had been dumped into the shower pan with a billion pieces of glass in the shower floor with some spilling out into the hallway.

After our heart rate returned to something close to normal, we went back to bed and did the clean up the next morning. After about an hours work, I removed the remaining 2 glass sliding panels and went to Home Depot and bought a expanding curtain rod, rings, and shower curtain to put up.

I have never heard of this happening before and hope I never do again. We have a 2005 Bounder 32, we are original owners (bought new in 2005.)

No UFO sightings reported and the CG owner says it is not on an old burial ground.

I'm obviously not putting another glass door up! But anybody ever heard of anything like this before?

Chuck & Pam (the people) - Bobbie & Nikki (the cats)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ & Chevy Tracker ZR-2
NJ4B F261484 (ex: NCBounder)
Chuck&Pam is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Not heard of a shower door doing it, but I have heard of car windows (sunroofs in particular) spontaneously exploding. As I recall it was something wrong during the tempering of the glass when it was manufactured.

2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
In our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34v on the F-53 Chassis, we also had glass shower doors. But, there was also a curtain rod and a shower curtain. The wife and I both thought it was odd to have both. So, knowing the possibility of a mishap and, the result would be the same as you had, we removed them and put them in storage for the rest of the time we owned it.

Now, as for your mishap, I've got no explanation what so ever. Time/temp differences/poor tempering, who knows But, since you purchased the coach new, and, most likely have been in the same temps/time frame/humidity/coach predicament (level etc.) before and, why would it take this much time to get to the exact criteria for conditions to be perfect in order for self destruction to happen???

But, shower doors are some strange devices, for lack of a better word. The reason I say that is, we recently remodeled both bathrooms in our home. Both had glass shower doors. One bathroom had a hinging one and the other had two sliding ones. The hinging one was in the garage one day and I bumped it and it fell over and like yours, the next thing I saw, then bazillion pieces of glass, all over the garage and half way down the driveway.

But, when we removed the other two, (the sliding ones) I took them out to our dumpster and, you would not believe how many times I had to "hit" those shower doors in order to break them. I mean, I slammed a hammer at them and all it did was bounce off. So, I hit it on the edge and it shattered. I did the same to the other one.

So, in my opinion, you'd be smart to go to a shower curtain. Just some thoughts here. Good luck.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could have the glass replaced with a type of plexiglass (plastic).
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tempered glass is very hard to break straight on.
But hit them on the edge and they shatter easily and into small pieces.

The difference is in where the force comes from. Straight on very tough, on the edge it shatters easily.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last year my wife and I were at a Lowes store looking for a glass shower door to replace the plastic shower curtain in the sticks and bricks. She started to slide open one of the doors on display. A huge bang and the door shattered into a zillion pieces, scaring the heck out of us both.

The shower still has the plastic curtain...
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
The coach could have just moved a smidgen the wrong way for the tempered safety glass and the temperature could have been at just the wrong temp at the same time. Is it common? No. Could it happen? Yes as the OP found out. Tempered glass is stuff you don't touch the wrong way to sudden temp fluctuations with.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Consider setting up paranormal cameras, never can tell!
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Our house shower door did the same thing. Found out the 1 of the three hinges was 1/4 out of line with the other two. The torque took 3 years for it to shatter.
John, Pam, Nicholas, Aria
NKK 16073L
2007 Essex 4502
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Plexiglas is cheap and doesn't shatter. It also comes in colors or frosted.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

So, in my opinion, you'd be smart to go to a shower curtain. Just some thoughts here. Good luck.
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

The shower still has the plastic curtain...
After cleaning up the mess, I did go to Home Depot and bought a rod, rings, and curtain and put it up. Its going to stay there! We just got home this weekend, but I am going to take down the rest of the frame and tracks that held the 3 piece sliding door. The remaining 2 panels are with the broken panel in a recycle bin in Bar Harbor ME!

My question for those that have converted to curtains..how did you refinish or fill the screw holes in the fiberglass where the old shower door frame was attached?

By the way... I also removed the glass door at home and put a curtain up there too.

Chuck & Pam (the people) - Bobbie & Nikki (the cats)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ & Chevy Tracker ZR-2
NJ4B F261484 (ex: NCBounder)
Chuck&Pam is online now   Reply With Quote