Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Stuck MWH Hydro Jack

I have a 2002 Newmar Kountry Star, Diesel pusher, air bags, MWH Hydro Jacks, just got it a month ago. Have been out several times with no trouble. This past weekend the left front jack would not retract. It will go down but not up. Others work fine.
I followed the procedure in the manual to manually release them by turning the T handle on the back of the valve counter clockwise but with no resolve. I always put blocks under the jacks so it was far enough off the ground to drive it home. With the Jacks down warning buzzer sounding off the whole way.
I am hoping someone has an easy resolution to this.
Thanks in advance.

AJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Have you tried to raise the jack with pressure under the foot? Next you can backoff the hydraulic fitting and let out some of the fluid out. Use caution, block the wheels, front and back, go easy releasing the fitting as there could be pressure there and the oil will squirt out hard. Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes. Sounds like a stuck valve (solenoid) and can be easily picked up at a snowplow repair shop, if in fact it has an electric/hydraulic pump.

danwright7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Hi Jack

You need to Lube the Jack Shafts and do you have the newer type springs???

You will get a hundred different ideas and they will all work Some better than others!!!

I use (as recommended by Gary KD) Gunk Brand "Dry Lubricant" just spray it on no need to wipe off!! and It WORKS!!

'05 Kountry Star 3910 ISC 330 Cummins '08 Jeep Wrangler Four Door Blue Ox
Latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
We had one jack that was really slow to retract so I took the scissor jack from the Grand Cherokee to help it along and stop the alarm beep. Others have used a 2 x 4 as a pry lever.
An HWH tech at one of the shows told me to use WD-40 as a solvent, spray it on, then wipe it off to prevent a buildup. With your coach being a 2002 model, you might want to replace the springs. I think you can buy direct from HWH, replacement it easy, do a search on this forum for some neat tips.

Good luck!
Denny, Connie & Shadow (former barn cat made good)
2000 Itasca Horizon, Cat 3126B, Freightliner Chassis
Martind4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a bad jack solenoid one time, opening the pressure release screw/"T" handle did nothing. I "cracked" the hydraulic line for the affected jack at the manifold and spring pressure retracted the jack. Have plenty of rags if you have to resort to that measure because it does get messy. It may be a last resort measure but it works and you do not have to endure the warning chime.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FleetMan has the right idea. If opening the solenoid valve doesn't lift the jack, disconnect the hose (that's opposite the solenoid valve that controls the problem jack). This will normally do the trick. If it doesn't, you most likely have a bad jack.

Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I had a jack on my old Itasca that wouldn't retract after it had been down for more than a few hours. Tried lubing the shaft, replaced the springs, didn't help. Finally started carrying a long section of pipe and just pried it back up. Never did find out what was causing the problem but at least we didn't have to listen to the damn bell for hours at a time.
Tom, Carole & Duke
Coudersport, PA (God's Country)
2009 Phaeton 42' QRH, Suzuki SX4 Toad
tmspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Backing the T-handle out should open the needle valve, but since you are doing that and the jack still doesn't come up, I agree w/the previous posters that an aggressive lube job on the jack shaft should be a first round attempt. If that doesn't work, its a bad jack and needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
That's what I get for reading the instructions. According to the book the 2nd from the front was supposed to be the LF jack. Was working on it last night trying some of your suggestions, nothing worked. Cracking the line was the last resort.
I deceided to open all the T valves and ureka, the LF rose when I opened the 3rd from the front. I guess the moral is try them all if your not sure.
I haven't had the guts to cycle them down, guess I must.
Thanks for all your suggestions and moral support.
Keep your powder dry.
AJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers

I've had the same problem with both of my rear jacks- due to weakend springs. We've been on the road the last 6 months and have not had a chance to get new springs, therefore, I went to Walmart and purchased a 6 ton scissor jack ($18) to push the jack up into place.

So the proceedure is this. Activate your store button and do some other chores while the jacks are retracting. Then get out your scissor jack and jack-up the offending jack(s). Note that the system has to be left in the on position while doing this. Let the system turn itself off and you are ready to go.

Now that I'm back in FL for the winter, I'll get new springs and replace them.

Hope this helps.

'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote