Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
If the pump is the problem, check out the Aquajet RV pumps. We just upgraded from a Shurflo and it really is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. Remarkably quiet & powerful.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #16

Fixed it! I went to pull the Shurflo 4008 pump out to see what was going on and it almost fell apart in my hands. Nearly all the screws that mount the top of pump to the pump body were completely backed out. This is why the pump seemed noisier. Tiffin did not make it easy to remove and re-install this pump but it's done. In the picture I took yesterday afternoon, you can see one side pulling up. By the time I got to it today, it was almost apart..
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405794314.117709.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	68402
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #17

Question.

Had you done the winterizing on this RV or did you purchase it after it was winterized?
Reason, for the question . If the person who winterized the RV just , blew the lines with compressed air , there may have been some water left in the pump , and as the ice formed , it could have pulled the threads in the plastic housing; even cracked it. Check the pump frequently for leaks and listen for any " burping " when sitting under pressure when not in use.
Your issues with the pump , may not be over.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Question.

Had you done the winterizing on this RV or did you purchase it after it was winterized?
Reason, for the question . If the person who winterized the RV just , blew the lines with compressed air , there may have been some water left in the pump , and as the ice formed , it could have pulled the threads in the plastic housing; even cracked it. Check the pump frequently for leaks and listen for any " burping " when sitting under pressure when not in use.
You issues with the pump , may not be over.

Bought the coach 2 months ago in Fort Worth TX. Dealer sold it new to a local who decided he wanted a diesel 2 years later.
No idea about winterizing. None of the screws were stripped as if they were forced out. They screw into to an aluminum housing. It runs quietly now and shuts off almost immediately after faucet is shut off. Pressure is great and constant.
But, you can bet I'll keep my eye on it.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice to see a resolution to the OP original problem. I have a pump problem that I can't quite figure out. I put in a new pump, thinking that would solve it, but I have the same issue.......the pump will run up to full pressure and shut off......that is normal. When I open a faucet, the pressure starts out great, but then quickly runs down to about 50% of where it should be. If there was a loose connection, I would think that I would not be able to build up to full pressure, or it would cycle on and off... Neither of which happens. Any suggestions for trouble shooting this low pump pressure problem would be appreciated..
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
Nice to see a resolution to the OP original problem. I have a pump problem that I can't quite figure out. I put in a new pump, thinking that would solve it, but I have the same issue.......the pump will run up to full pressure and shut off......that is normal. When I open a faucet, the pressure starts out great, but then quickly runs down to about 50% of where it should be. If there was a loose connection, I would think that I would not be able to build up to full pressure, or it cwould cycle on and off... Neither of which happens. Any suggestions for trouble shooting this low pump pressure problem would be appreciated..

Tom, I lucked into my fix but on my previous older coach I had a little pressure tank/bladder. If you've ever had well water in your home, you are familiar with this large blue tank. The purpose was to maintain water pressure during long runs. Do you have one of these? They are normally next to the pump and have air valve on them to check air pressure on the internal bladder. My newer coach didn't have one so I assume the newer pump had some sort of internal device for this.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, my Shurflo pump is basically on demand. It should be generating a good flow of water at a decent pressure when running, however, it really doesn't. And it's not like I'm running multiple faucets at once....., when I turn on the bathroom faucet it starts out good, but quickly slows down to less than half of the pressure that it should be.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Could there be a blockage in the supply to the pump?

With what you describe, if given enough time (i.e. running with the faucets closed) the pump develops enough pressure in the line that the initial flow of water is normal. The pump doesn't have enough throughput, so the flow drops dramatically. If the pump is okay (should be since it is new and the problem didn't go away when you installed it), I would examine the supply to the pump for kinks & blockages all the way back to the tank.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With no faucets open, the pump builds up pressure and stops in less than 20 seconds. It is kind of cramped in my water bay but I will do my best to back track the water supply. Thanks
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
No, my Shurflo pump is basically on demand. It should be generating a good flow of water at a decent pressure when running, however, it really doesn't. And it's not like I'm running multiple faucets at once....., when I turn on the bathroom faucet it starts out good, but quickly slows down to less than half of the pressure that it should be.
That sure sounds like a pump or supply problem... I don't know what else it could be if it happens at all faucets. For under $100, I'd start with the pump.

I'm a fan of the 1 gallon (or less) pressure tanks too.. I just haven't gotten around to putting one in, mainly due to a lack of PEX tools.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #25

Hey Tom, 20 seconds to shut off supports the theory that there is a problem between the water tank and the pump. Or the pump is no good (I know it's new).
If there is an issue pulling water from the tank, through it's associated hose, it will still build up enough pressure to eventually make the internal pump pressure switch turn the pump off. Then you turn a faucet on and all that built up pressure quickly declines if there is an issue between the tank and the pump, or the new pump itself. If your problem was with the hoses on the other side of the pump going into the coach, you most likely would have consistently bad pressure.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stumped as to why Shurflo water pump wont shutoff

I agree, It seems to be between the tank and the pump. There are strange hose clamps holding the hoses on. I have never seen them before. They look like they are clamped on, with no way to reuse them. I am going to pick up a length of hose and see if I can run it straight from the tank to the pump, bypassing the winterizing valves and lines to see if that solves the problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1406770716.333177.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	634.1 KB
ID:	69450. Here is a pic of the clamps.....anyone know how to open and close them?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #27

They are called Oetiker Clamps - The bands are sized for the final outside diameter to be clamped to - They are a one-time use clamp
There is a special plier type tool used to properly close the bands

You have to cut the ears on the band to remove them
Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks. Would you just replace them with standard hose clamps ?

Tags
water, water pump