Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Stumped as to why Shurflo water pump wont shutoff

I recently disinfected this new to me 2012 allegro water tank. No big deal. Maybe a coincidence but now pump will not shut off. I cannot find any leaks anywhere in the system. When hooked to city water, everything is fine. Disconnect from city water and use pump. Never shuts off. I notice there is no pressure tank/bladder in this unit like my old Chieftain. Seems the newer pumps have internal bladders? Seems when using pump, my pressure is good for a few seconds and then lessons considerably.
- set to city water
- run all air out of system

Could this pump be shot already?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #2

The set to city water you mention , could be the problem.
Could be that valve is, meant to fill the fresh tank when hooked to city water, and the pump is running the water in a loop , from the tank and back to the tank.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
They have internal pressure sensors, yes. IF they have a bladder, it's a small one. They're designed to pump to a certain pressure then stop. If you have a pressure leak, they'll run all the time.

After a while, they need to be rebuilt. You can find rebuild kits online.

As a side note, when I go from "dry" to full tanks and pressurize with the pump, it takes a while to get all the air out of everything. I usually have to run the shower, fill the water heater, exercise both hot/cold lines everywhere, run the toilet, run the outside water. Then and only then, will my pump shut off.

Last RV, I added a pressure tank which helped immensely. I haven't done that on the current RV.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I recently disinfected this new to me 2012 allegro water tank. No big deal. Maybe a coincidence but now pump will not shut off. I cannot find any leaks anywhere in the system. When hooked to city water, everything is fine. Disconnect from city water and use pump. Never shuts off. I notice there is no pressure tank/bladder in this unit like my old Chieftain. Seems the newer pumps have internal bladders? Seems when using pump, my pressure is good for a few seconds and then lessons considerably.
- set to city water
- run all air out of system

Could this pump be shot already?
Have you checked to see if you have water to the pump.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

Skip, indy,
System needs to be set to city water for the pump to work correctly. If set to water fill, I get the scenario Skip describes.
Yes, Have 1/3 tank of water and I get water I to the coach just fine. Been under every sink horrified that I may be filling the coach up with water, but I see nothing.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

Next step, then would be to access the pump and cap the outlet side , to see if the pump will shut off.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Skip, if you left the valve that directs the city water to fill the holding tank, the pump will keep running. I forget about that all the time.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
I agree with Skip, if you left the valve that directs the city water to fill the holding tank, the pump will keep running. I forget about that all the time.

Yep, that's correct. But that is not what is going on here. City water and tank fill valve is in the correct position. Haven't found a way to plug the line as it leaves the pump to see if pump stops.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #9

System caps are available ( plastic ) . Or if you have a RV anti freeze pick up hose, with the fitting that would attach to the inlet to draw A/F out of a jug, you could clamp a bolt in the hose and put it on the pump outlet.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #10

they must have changed things at tiffin because on 2008 AB diesel pusher City water setting is just that City water and fresh water is for when using pump and pumping from water tank. On a side note a friend of mine had the same sort senereo.He hooked up to city water and ran the system to make sure no air then switched to pump and pump caught the prime and shut off.It was Constantly running before this
seemed odd to me
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
System caps are available ( plastic ) . Or if you have a RV anti freeze pick up hose, with the fitting that would attach to the inlet to draw A/F out of a jug, you could clamp a bolt in the hose and put it on the pump outlet.

Skip, great idea! I'll do that..
Old 07-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
they must have changed things at tiffin because on 2008 AB diesel pusher City water setting is just that City water and fresh water is for when using pump and pumping from water tank. On a side note a friend of mine had the same sort senereo.He hooked up to city water and ran the system to make sure no air then switched to pump and pump caught the prime and shut off.It was Constantly running before this
seemed odd to me

Hi racer, this is my first tiffin but every other mh I've been around will have a city water position and a fill position. Water pump will just recirculate if left in fill position. Must be in city water position when using external water hookup or internal water pump.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The pump has an internal check valve to prevent leakage back into the tank. If it fails, the pump will run continuously.

Another possibility: you said it flows good and then slows. That may indicate that the inlet screen on the pump is clogged with sand or debris from the tank, causing lack of flow and inability to build pressure. See if there is a little container on the inlet side of the pump. The cover comes off and you can clean it out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #14

Thanks Gary. I'll re-check the inlet filter. I had it out once and banged it around to loosen any debris but at this point, I need to do it again. This problem started immediately after letting a bleach solution set for a few hours for sanitizing the system. I could be wrong but the motor sounds louder and clanky after this. I also noticed chunks of plumbers tape or putty coming loose off the inlet fitting when I took it off for inspection.

Tags
water, water pump