Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #1

Stupid 4 Button Duotherm Thermostat

Ok guys, I am hittng my head against the wall I am working on a 1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor on a Freightliner chassis for a couple of friends. About a month ago I tried turning on the ac units with the 1 thermostat that has 2 zones. Since the shore line wasnt heavy enough the fans kicked in, but when the compressors went to kick in i tripped the shore line breakers in the house garage. Which i was expecting. Once we got the generator started and power at full load the ac still will not kick in. I was told to upgrade to the 5 button thermostat after I tried to turn the furnace on and it wouldn't even come on when set at 99 degrees. So I spent the money and bought the new thermostat only to get the EE error code. I cleaned the connectors like a friend suggested, but now after some researching I am finding that there is a system "upgrade" that needs to be done in order to make the 5 button work on a 4 button system. Is this true? If so, can you please inform me what to replace and why? I am a skilled industrial maintenance tech by trade who is recently out of work and I am stumped!!!! Your informative help is appericated, and your technical help is really appericiated!!!

Matt
ilfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Matt, in order to replace the 4 button with a 5 button CCC T'stat you will also have to replace the control board on both air conditioners; as the 5 button T'stat is not compatible with the 4 button control boards. Once this has been done you will need to reset the T'stat by pressing both the zone and mode button while turning on the T'stat.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Matt try reinstalling the 4-button and doing a reset as shown below or rebuild your 4-button unit.

The 4-button thermostat cannot be bought it has to be replaced with the "new and improved" 5-button model. The problem for me was the cost of the 5-button system.

I found that you can buy the switches from US - Electronic Components Distributor | Newark.com and they are $1.06 each. They are part number 19C6398; this is Newark's SKU number. Outside of Newark the switches are from ITT/Canon and the official part number is PVA1OAH1. Newark can be reached at 1-800-752-9279 or you can order on the Internet

For 4 button reset:
  • Turn the ON/OFF switch to ON. The display light with
    data should come on. If the light and data are not there,
    see Section B2 Cable Assembly.
  • Depress mode to activate display light.
  • Depress the bottom two buttons (up & down) together.
  • While still holding the two buttons add the third from the
    bottom (mode) , hold all three for a few seconds.
  • Release the third (mode) button.
  • Release the bottom two (up & down) together.
  • Depress the mode button. The display light should be
    off. If not, repeat steps 2 through 6.
    The control should return to the default setting of 68oF for
    heating mode and 72oF for cooling mode.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #4

4 button thermosat replacement

So, where do you get the control boards for the air conditioners? I have a 4 button thermostat that keeps shutting itself off for no apparent reason. It appears to be in the thermostat itself, somewhere in the actual on off switch as that is where it seems to respond to tinkering to get it back on.

I bought a 5 button (only one available) but, as you expect, keep getting the EE error message. So, this is the first I heard about replacing the control boards on the actual air conditioners.

Three questions: 1. where do you get them? 2. How much will they cost? 3. Is is something a competent owner can do?

Thanks for your help.

Dan DeBruin
Nellie the Newmar
38' 1998 DP
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote