Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My biggest oops this year and now that I think of it the funniest has to be our big trip to Virginia and Pennsylvania. While loading the car on the dolly I heard a terrible scraping noise. I forgot to lock in the ramps and put two nice equally spaced gouges in the front air dam. I had not driven 6 feet and already damaged my car. Well after 700 miles of uneventful towing we got to our site in Virginia. As I backed the car off the dolly BANG right into a tree. So now in less than 12 feet of driving (with 700 miles of towing in between) I had managed to bang up both the front and back off my car. I was really pissed off when it happened but now we just laugh about it.

Todd, Shirley, and the Maddawgs Buster & Precious
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We have tree issues also,big ole pecan tree reaches out and grabs on the side of our coach when backing out onto road.Needless to say hubby got the chain saw out and did some trimming.I just love telling him...I told you so.

roadmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
I just love telling him...I told you so.
LOL! Must be related to my DW...
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Well tonight I got the chainsaw out and took care of those limbs that jumped out and attacked the MH. Even had the DW out helping. So off we go this weekend to try again to have a great relaxing weekend . Thanks to everyone for not laughing too hard at me and I know I am in good company
StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
With all of about 10 miles of experience, I was backing the new MH into the front yard of our house. The mailbox of the neighbor across the street jumped out and hit me.

Lesson learned: when sitting that high, you need to worry about the small things that are below your sight lines.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #20
So far (knock on vinyl covered partical board) My only OOPS has been to drive about 3 miles (that's where the first low hanging tree branch was) down the highway with the TV ant UP, after leaving the house to go to a local dumpstation...
Having driven our new to us 30 footer only about 7500 or so miles since we got it almost 2 years ago... I'd say I'm WAY over due for another OOPS... ROFLMAO
Kajun_Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #21
oops club.

Owned a popup,now a 25ft. tt. First time out didn't realize you had to put a chuck behind the wheel when parked at the campground. Had legos under wheels for leveling. I got dh into our parking spot and placed the 2x4 too soon under the trailer. The sewer tank ripped and sh.. was pouring out. $60.00 worth of patching material and many years later all is well. Another time got DH backed in too tight to the fence. Broken window and one broken awning part. All got fixed and not too painful $ wise. We have since got our fence installer to switch our walk in gate and big gate around. Much easier to back in now. Glad we have a used RV that way you don't feel so bad when things happen.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two time member of this "club". The first was when we rented an motorhome in New Zealand, on the last day of the 3 week trip I was pulling into a camping spot by a particularly scenic beach, watching a overhead limb to be sure I wouldn't hit it. Then BOOM, the MH stopped dead; I had run into a guy wire for a light pole on the other side. It put a nice foot long gash in the cabover. Sheepishly returned the MH to the rental place, they yawned and said it's fixable. We flew home and anxiously awaited the bill for repair, it came a month later. They charged us only $150 US to fix it. I will rent from Maui Motorhomes again, for sure.
The second time we were towing our TT and as I pulled out of a gas station we kissed the concrete bollard protecting the pumps. It peeled the rim back on the wheel of the TT like it was a tin can and bent the axle. That one cost me about about $500. I am always careful about maneuvering in gas stations now, even though we now have a smaller RV. Lessons learned.......
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
Tiffin Owners Club
we all have sometime been down the road of what was I thinking.Not to long ago I had my MH plugged in to shorepower and decided to move it outside so what did I do.FORGOT TO UNPLUG.DIDN'T HURT ANYTHING BUT,BOY WAS I lucky. SAFE TRAVELS
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #24
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
we all have sometime been down the road of what was I thinking.Not to long ago I had my MH plugged in to shorepower and decided to move it outside so what did I do.FORGOT TO UNPLUG.DIDN'T HURT ANYTHING BUT,BOY WAS I lucky. SAFE TRAVELS
I am a member of that club also. Lucky it unplugged itself and then I realized...... OH SHOOT (forum friendly) then stored the power cable.
Chuck & Chopper (the fuzzy 1)
2003 DSDP w/ 2012 F150 4x4 that wants to be a Jeep.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #25
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We got some driving lessons from a friend that ran a truck driving school. The latest buzz word is

That is real easy to think about when getting into new situations but sometimes not so easy when we get comfortable with situations we see often.
Remember STUPID when backing up and a host of other times when 4 eyes are required!

Saves a lot of mishaps! On my last RV, first time out, had my DW not been laying down and been outside giving directions when I re-positioned the RV, I probably wouldn't have scrubbed the rear quarter on a huge rock at the corner of the campsite. We know better now. These things swing like a logging truck.

By the way.......the lessons on other things keep comin'. Apparently I'm a do and try not do that again kinda guy!

I'm going to write a book someday!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #26
Don't feel bad. As others have already said, this is how we all learn.

Years ago, the 2nd time I drove my then-RV away from my house my house's eave jumped out and slapped it. Minor damage to rig & house but big lesson learned. :-)
[B]BichonLover is a 100% California gal, driving a vintage Fleetwood in SoCal.
BichonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #27
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Stupid Mistakes! Tip of the Week

Here's a good tip for all of you out there. Learn from a PRO!

Buy a clear extention for the base of your waste pipe before the cap!!!!

If you want to see how I know....read below. A little long but worth a chuckle!

Our RV Holiday to Osoyoos

It's funny. It's seems as though no matter how hard I try to have a successful holiday, my lifes calling for what is supposed to be a relaxing interlude from the day to day stress of the work-a-day world, ends up being plagued by incidents that would have the average person buckling at the knees to the point of raising their hands in the air and asking the Supreme Being "What is up Man"???

Now, maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just me that decides to put this stuff to word, but I find it hard to believe (or don't want to believe) that the kind of things that happen to me/us on holidays doesn't happen to others.

When I reflect on my day to day life, yes there are things that occur, but nothing profound enough or often enough that would necessitate the need to reflect on how many things happen that would culminate into the stories that I put to word.

Maybe I'm just too busy to notice the significance of the events that happen day to day and have the time to reflect on what happens when I'm on holidays.

It would almost bring one to pause and suggest that from now on, I should not be using the phrase "I'm going on Holidays", but rather aptly changing it to "I'm going on Calamity's"!!!

The anticipation for such would normally suggest to the average person, to not put themselves through the rigors of such events. However, either I don't see myself as average (which I like to think I'm not) or that I have an abnormal insensitivity to the cloud that looms as soon as I decide to take some time off.

In any event, here's how it starts:

Day 1:

Today started like any other day getting prepared to go off on a new adventure.
I had done all the necessary things to get the boat ready to take with us the day before and parked it behind the RV. When I put the boat away the day before, I put all my hitch locks on and pulled the hinge pin on the swing away hitch and swung the hitch out of the way to make more room in the driveway. Satisfied, that I was ready for the next day and being that it was raining I went inside the house. Needing to get a few things for our trip, DW sent me on a grocery run to various places to pick up the things we needed.
Today, I went to move the boat to take the RV in for service. Took the hitch locks off, swung the hitch into place and when I went to install the pin and...you guessed it. I had put the hinge pin on my bumper the day before as I needed two hands to swing the hitch out of the way. Somewhere in town is the hinge pin I lost while running errands the day before. Now I can't move the boat, had to cancel my RV appointment and started calling around to find a replacement pin.
Now, I love our little town, but with that comes the problems with a little town...Nobody stocks all the things you need. Ahhh, but after a couple of hours of phoning around, I find out that they do in the town an hour away! So off I go and after 2.5 hours and $50 in gas, I have the answer to my prayers. All is good in my world (so I think).

Day 2:

Rain mixed with a few problems at work that had me emailing back and forth for several hours. You think you have everything prepared to go away and you find out that think doesn't mean is! Couldn't leave yet.

Day 3: Rain Didn't want to leave yet

Day 4: Ahhh, finally the adventure begins. All packed and the boat hooked up to the RV.
I look at this thing I have created. I paced it off and I'm about to embark with what is nothing less than a 63 ft. train. From my mirrors looking back, it appears endless. This rig borders on needing an engineer's license and a conductor!
In any event, backed by more confidence than experience (maybe, dare I say brains) in commanding such a rig, we set our sites on Osoyoos.
As with past holidays, I looked on the internet to search out where we would like to go. By all accounts, Nk' Mip Resort appeared like Nirvana. The site showed it had a nice marina, sites right on the lake, a Bistro (restaurant). When we finally arrived, I found out that the marina had been taken over by another resort and wouldn't allow us to moor our boat there. They did say that I could beach my boat and that I was welcome to tie up to a tree as long as I had a rope long enough. I said "Pardon"???. Our boat has never seen a beach!

Further in my inquiries as the resort's amenities, I was told that yes indeed, the resort has a world class Bistro with a noted Chef, however, it was not open till June.
I asked if we could purchase firewood. The girl at the desk said "Firewood? Oh no sir, we do not allow campfires at our resort, however, if you wanted, we sell gas fire-pits for $139.00 or we rent them for $10.00 per day". I asked if they sell propane tanks. She said "Propane tanks? Oh no sir but we can fill a tank if you have one". Thankfully, I thought, okay I have the propane tank from our barbecue we could use and walked over to look at the gas fire-pits. Their "Fire-pits" looked like something my wife uses to make a roast in. Only difference is it had a hose coming out the side. I said "I'll think about it".
I looked at the map of the lake front sites. All right on the water. It seemed like there may be some salvage to my choice to be here yet. I suggested that I would go pick one and report back on what would be our choice.
We drove down the road and yes, there were sites right on the lake and big enough for our RV, however, only if you sawed our rig in half and put the pieces side by side. It was obvious at this point that the dream we had lived for several weeks of lake front camping was not to be. We ended up in a different section of the resort. We still had a lake view though, as long as you stood on the picnic table and peered out over the lid of the over-filled garbage container strategically placed between a couple of trees.
The site was nice though. Lined with cedars for privacy from your neighbours. Full service hook-ups.
I got everything set up and got to the task of hooking up our sewer, water and power.

The week before we left, I had gotten a new black water cable put on the RV. I now unscrewed the cap on my sewer to hook up the sewer hose and to my shear horror, filled my water station compartment full of the foulest smelling conglomeration I had ever come across. You guess it...100% raw, unrefined sewage. Yes that's right. That nasty word nobody wants to say let alone have to deal with...sh*t. It's obvious that the newly installed cable didn't close the gate valve. This is a BIG problem. Even more so when I noted that my rubber gloves, my savior from what would have made the handling of the situation a bit more bearable were laying in the bottom of the compartment. Both my wife and daughter yelled out "What is that awful smell?" They thought our dog had dropped a bomb but couldn't find any evidence. I yelled out "Don't worry about it, I've got it under control!" Ya right, I think to myself. I felt like every camper in the resort now had their eyes on me as the smelly conglomeration glooped onto the ground. I quickly hooked up my water hose and washed down the compartment, hoses, controls and accumulated pile on the ground. In a few minutes, it was gonna be nothing more than just another memory ingrained in the annuls of my holiday experiences.
My wife asked me if I wanted a drink. I said "yes". She said "are you ready to have dinner"? I said "Give me a few minutes"!

Day 5:
The day started like any other day, similar only in the fact that I woke up.
It was sunny though!
I went to brush my teeth and seize the day and couldn't find my shaving bag with all my travel bath accessories. I asked my wife where she might have put it. She replied I didn't see it. Having been with my gal for about 15 years, this usually means that she had it and put it somewhere and doesn't remember where she put it. This set in motion a search not unlike that of an FBI investigation. I tore apart the RV in search of the black bag and came up empty handed. Suddenly, my hopes and visions of looking like "Adonis of the Campground" were hopelessly dashed. Now, I know that most of you out there wonder what my secret is for looking and smelling the way I do when you see me (be nice now) but, the secret is simple and can be described in one word..."Product".
Now, I know most of you guys will never admit it, but if we all laid our shaving kits on the table exposed for the world to see, I can bet there would be a cornucopia of products in there that would make most women envious! Hair products, skin products, shaving products, medicinal products and the list goes on.
Not having this with me for 4 more days is a problem!!! Without this bevy of transformation aids, it can turn any man into looking like a Hobo in a matter of a couple of days. I (and my face) have become accustomed to using an electric razor. I embarked on this method of shaving for one simple reason. I'm a bleeder! Anytime I have tried to use any type of sharp object to remove the hair on my face, I look like I just ran into "Freddie Kruger" in a dark alley. I probably use a whole roll of toilet paper trying to stem the bleeding.
As for the rest of the things required, my wife has offered me the use of her things, (naturally she remembers where she put them) however, this presents a whole new set of problems. I use non-scented soaps so I don't smell like a lilac tree or a rose garden. As for anti-perspirant I again opt for a more manly scent than something floral. The shampoo part wasn't that bad however, without Gel, my hair will look akin to a Jimmy Hendrix do - A frizzed out, uncontrolled ball of hair.

So this AM I embarked on the inevitable making use of what I could, doing without what I could and buying what was available from the resort store (which was minimal).

But Hey! We're camping and roughing it.Somewhere my situation fits in with this description.

Looking at the other patrons at the resort, it would appear that they too, forgot their shaving kits!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's funnier then my "story(ies) and I'll never tell.

Thanks for the "humor," I think - it was humor, right?

Is it only humor if it doesn't happen to you(me)?

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote