Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know the feeling, Wish I could say otherwise but I know the feeling.

Suggestion regarding that limb... CHAIN SAW.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Just when you think your perfect, whamm!! The last place we lived we had a back alley that came to a T. Our RV driveway was just off the T,so when I pulled in I only had about 4 inches on either side of the coach as I started in the driveway. I impressed the wife and neighbors many times driving in and backing out with my chest puffed out thinking I am the greatest. Then one day comes along and I am backing out and the garbage can was sitting beside the fence. I was watching the $10 garbage can and rubbed the side of the coach on the neighbors fence. I was lucky as it got the fridge vent and the hot water tank cover and spared the rest. DW rolled her eyes and said Professional Driver HuH!!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #31
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1
Just when you think your perfect, whamm!! The last place we lived we had a back alley that came to a T. Our RV driveway was just off the T,so when I pulled in I only had about 4 inches on either side of the coach as I started in the driveway. I impressed the wife and neighbors many times driving in and backing out with my chest puffed out thinking I am the greatest. Then one day comes along and I am backing out and the garbage can was sitting beside the fence. I was watching the $10 garbage can and rubbed the side of the coach on the neighbors fence. I was lucky as it got the fridge vent and the hot water tank cover and spared the rest. DW rolled her eyes and said Professional Driver HuH!!
My wife knows better than to say something when I screw up! She'll wait till I own up to what happened.

I love that about her!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
i refuse to answer on the ground it may incriminate me.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #33

I can not top your great stories and I am glad you posted them. I have a guilt feeling that I was the only person to have slight errors in my RV driving...ha ha Been motorhoming 30 years.

It is 0200, on my way alone to Talladega NASCAR races. I had been driving for 11 hours (I know, I know), I pull into a Wal-Mart for gas and as I swing in to the pump area.....CRUNCH!!!....I take out the "water/air" unit on the edge of the parking area.....

I give my name and address to the attendent and said let me know "how much". I get a letter from Wal-Mart a week later saying "no charges" and thanks for being a customer.....now if Wal-Mart does not have it, I don't buy it....ha ha
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #34

Afew years ago while returning from socal in out 26' class c we got rerouted on the way home to Or. in Feb.due to snow.We had to take the coast 101 road.There was a big winter storm and it was cold.Well murphy was riding with us and of course the heater went out(murphys law).Ok I can deal with that but while driving north thru Bandon at around 1 am there was a 4" tree branch clear across the road at about 8' high and we hit it at 50mph.It took out the window at the top bunk and did some damage to the frame and side awning.$4000 damage.Progressive took care of the whole thing minus my deductable.Now I have a class a .I will keep my fingers crossed and be more careful on stormy nights.PS don't look for gas inOr. at night you wont find it
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #35

My guilt continues, so here is my "first stupid mistake". I returned from Viet Nam in early 1970 and the wife wanted something we could do as a family, so.....we buy a 20' Mini Winni, class C. We head out on our first two or three day trip. "Let's stop and get some more soda" she says. I pull into a convenience store as I would in my truck....okay, you know the rest...I tore the stuffings out of their awning and my cab over sleeping area.

I will remember that tearing, ripping, crunching sound the rest of my life.

George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I have one to add from our 8000 mile loop this summer.

After 50,000 miles of driving the coach without a scratch, we were heading into Cape Cod over the Bourne Bridge... in the rain. There was a huge barge being pushed by a couple of tugs and I stretched my neck up to take a look.

Unfortunately, the old adage of "it goes where you're looking" applied in this case. I "brushed" up against about an 18" concrete curb which left its mark down forty feet of full body paint. Sad but true.

Fortunately, I have been with Progressive for five years now and that had kicked in my "disappearing deductible" so it shouldn't be any money out of pocket but still...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #37

We are card carrying members too. We have managed to punch out the back window of our tv....twice. I pulled out of a campsite and felt a thump as the trailer rolled over something. Did I get out and investigate? No sirree. Went to set up that afternoon and discovered I had only one landing gear block so couldn't unhook for the grocery run. DW insists I am getting some kind of disease relating to memory, don't remember the name.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I have one to add from our 8000 mile loop this summer.

After 50,000 miles of driving the coach without a scratch, we were heading into Cape Cod over the Bourne Bridge... in the rain. There was a huge barge being pushed by a couple of tugs and I stretched my neck up to take a look.

Unfortunately, the old adage of "it goes where you're looking" applied in this case. I "brushed" up against about an 18" concrete curb which left its mark down forty feet of full body paint. Sad but true.

Fortunately, I have been with Progressive for five years now and that had kicked in my "disappearing deductible" so it shouldn't be any money out of pocket but still...

Rick
OMG Rick.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #39
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
We are card carrying members too. We have managed to punch out the back window of our tv....twice. I pulled out of a campsite and felt a thump as the trailer rolled over something. Did I get out and investigate? No sirree. Went to set up that afternoon and discovered I had only one landing gear block so couldn't unhook for the grocery run. DW insists I am getting some kind of disease relating to memory, don't remember the name.
My wife always tells me I don't listen to her either.......at least I think that's what she said.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #40

Nor'easters Club
I use the Bourne bridge each time we go out...I use the middle of the two lanes...keep those curbs at bay! You are not alone...many motorhomes and trailers have "kissed" the bridge !
ditto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
OMG Rick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
I use the Bourne bridge each time we go out...I use the middle of the two lanes...keep those curbs at bay! You are not alone...many motorhomes and trailers have "kissed" the bridge !
Yep. It was sure a sickening sound.

I immediately decided to go into denial rather than let it eat at me for the rest of the trip. At least I tried. Kind of funny now though how it sheared the tips off of all of the chrome bullet lug nut covers on the RF wheel.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #42

I just got my storage building upgraded so my new MH would fit in it. So yesterday the guy that I hire to drive for me on football game days (cuz I am in no shape to drive after a day of tailgating lol) backs out yesterday morning and backs into the curb on the other side of the street which put a dent in the bottom of the bumper and pushed the bumper in about 4 inches uggggggg. Then this morning I scratched on of the bay doors with the keys while locking it. Not a good two days