Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #15

Fix the A/C, Gettysburg can be very hot! I am a frequent visitor. A added feature of summer here on the east coast is rain, humidity and heat. Yep, all at the same time.

One other fine feature of running with the widows open, fine dust all over everything, road grit as I call it.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will get better fuel milage by running the generator and the house A/C than you do running the engine A/C.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Guy View Post
Ok, so here's a stupid question. We are planning on our first big trip. Michigan to Gettysburg then to Ephrata PA to visit family. Had the chassis serviced and I have a bad AC compressor for the dash air. I'm not a huge fan of AC, going to delay having it fixed till after the trip. Anyway, the question I have is, when running down the freeway with the windows open, do you also open the screens? I've noticed on short trips that with the windows open the screens seem to push in from the outside air pressure.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know if it gets too hot I can fire up the generator and run the roof air. I was honestly thinking the dash air with 4 little vents would probably not do a whole lot of cooling behind the driver/passenger seat. I want to get a good idea of gas mileage so want to run the generator at a minimum while driving.

2000 Gulf Stream Conquest, first MH (bought 8/14)
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
if its broke ..... fix it ....is the only answer here...
your compressor comes on as a dryer to pull moisture out of the cab
when in heat mode.....defrost...
having it lock up on the road is gonna be horrible..
Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #18

Thinking about this, you might want to get a second opinion if looking at the cost of replacing a compressor. I would...
Old 06-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree you should have it fixed but if the bearing on the pulley is OK then you can unplug the compressor wires at the compressor and it won't matter if it is locked up. The magnetic clutch does not engage the compressor untill you turn it on and with it unpluged it won't. I am not saying it's the smartest thing to do but I being a mechanic ran like this for two seasons before I fix it.
PS: My problem was the clutch itself and only cost me $99 for the parts.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #20

I'm well aware of the PA heat and humidity. Spent the first half of my life in Ephrata. The compressor has a leak. They had pressurized it with nitrogen to test for leaks. I was gonna play the roof air by ear so to speak. We will be heading out in the evening driving east. Baking sun will not be a major factor. The return trip however will be straight west, dealing with the sun into the afternoon. Since this will be our first big trip in the coach I want to maintain a cash reserve for gas and incidentals.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #21

Every trip is a learning experience, this will be one of many, happy or not.

You and your family will make the best of the bad, and cherish the good.

Enjoy your trip and make notes as to how you plan and make the next one even better.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Guy View Post
I'm well aware of the PA heat and humidity. Spent the first half of my life in Ephrata. The compressor has a leak. They had pressurized it with nitrogen to test for leaks. I was gonna play the roof air by ear so to speak. We will be heading out in the evening driving east. Baking sun will not be a major factor. The return trip however will be straight west, dealing with the sun into the afternoon. Since this will be our first big trip in the coach I want to maintain a cash reserve for gas and incidentals.

Very well then. Have a safe and happy trip! Fair winds & following seas....

Tags
dash, dash air