Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

Stupid question, just found out dash air is fried

Ok, so here's a stupid question. We are planning on our first big trip. Michigan to Gettysburg then to Ephrata PA to visit family. Had the chassis serviced and I have a bad AC compressor for the dash air. I'm not a huge fan of AC, going to delay having it fixed till after the trip. Anyway, the question I have is, when running down the freeway with the windows open, do you also open the screens? I've noticed on short trips that with the windows open the screens seem to push in from the outside air pressure.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know if it gets too hot I can fire up the generator and run the roof air. I was honestly thinking the dash air with 4 little vents would probably not do a whole lot of cooling behind the driver/passenger seat. I want to get a good idea of gas mileage so want to run the generator at a minimum while driving.

2000 Gulf Stream Conquest, first MH (bought 8/14)
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Unknown Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #2

Do you have a cover over your fan? If so, turn the fan on and it will pull out a lot of the hot air.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #3

I have the vent cover over just one vent. The only vent that has a fan is the bathroom and it does not have a cover. I do plan on adding covers and fans but that's not going to happen before the first trip.

Unknown Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Guy View Post
Ok, so here's a stupid question. We are planning on our first big trip. Michigan to Gettysburg then to Ephrata PA to visit family. Had the chassis serviced and I have a bad AC compressor for the dash air. I'm not a huge fan of AC, going to delay having it fixed till after the trip. Anyway, the question I have is, when running down the freeway with the windows open, do you also open the screens? I've noticed on short trips that with the windows open the screens seem to push in from the outside air pressure.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know if it gets too hot I can fire up the generator and run the roof air. I was honestly thinking the dash air with 4 little vents would probably not do a whole lot of cooling behind the driver/passenger seat. I want to get a good idea of gas mileage so want to run the generator at a minimum while driving.

Suggest you get the AC fixed before you go. This time of year the east coast heat and HUMIDITY is a killer. Lived near G'burg for 40 some years. It can be like Houston, N'awlens, or VA, the Carolinas or Florida ... (Recall that the battle of Gettysburg was fought over July 4th... and the temperature was 100F. Humid now especially since they have had a pant load of rain right now. You will likely need both ACs some times just to cut the HUMIDITY.

Yes, you can open the fan cover underway. IME, it will get the snot beat out of it due to wind turbulance and you will end up replacing it.

Heck with MPG... Can you put up with the noise and wind beating on you for hours and hours?

Just a suggestion...get it fixed!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

If it were me...

Screw the dash air... Run your generator and use your roof air...

Why put an unnecessary strain on your engine? Chances are, your generator needs to be exercised anyway... Personally, I like to get the coach cold prior to leaving and maintaining it with the roof air... You'll probably get better mileage using the generator anyway..

Just my two cents
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #6

[QUOTE=oakcreekeric;2614283]If it were me...

Screw the dash air... Run your generator and use your roof air...

Why put an unnecessary strain on your engine? Chances are, your generator needs to be exercised anyway... Personally, I like to get the coach cold prior to leaving and maintaining it with the roof air... You'll probably get better mileage using the generator anyway..

As said above, beating up your window screens is just one issue, running your gen and A/C will help keep the humidity in your coach under control affecting the longevity of your coaches interior.

Fuel milage is actually effected worse when running down the road with windows open. So you're not saving any money that way, and added to the above statement, you're adding to future issues.

Getting the dash A/C fixed prior to the trip is optional as it only helps to cool the very front driver's area in travel. As far as the statement as to it adding stress to your engine, I'm in total disagreement. Yes it needs some power to run, but that's negligible compared to what is required by the drive train.

Run your gen, shut your windows and enjoy your trip.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Make sure the compressor is not locked up. If so, you will have problems with your fan belt.

DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acker1 View Post
Make sure the compressor is not locked up. If so, you will have problems with your fan belt.

DICK
Yep...Yep. definitely "make sure the compressor is not lock up".
Happened to me, 110F in Arizona, near Safford Arizona, I can not describe my misery in words.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
I predict if you ride long in that fiberglass box in the summer sun and heat you will become a fan of air conditioning. I least give your family the option to follow you in the toad.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I want to get a good idea of gas mileage so want to run the generator at a minimum while driving.
So only drive at night when it will be cooler with the windows open.
Travel during day time, run the roof air and figure 6 MPG.
Generator may average .75 gal per hour. For your MPG average calculation.
The price per gal will make gas cost per mile vary the most.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

Ok... I'll make one last attempt at reason here...... get it fixed before you depart.

The MPG/gas consumption is not relevant... & unless you have enough cooling power in the coach to chill a cooking nuclear reactor it's not enough and it's in the wrong area.

When you are travelling into the sun under an acre of glass green house on a 90F day w/ 90% humidity you are going to 'die' without 1000million cubic feet of frozen air whistling out of the four dash ducts. IME, you are usually travelling into the sun about 1/2 the day. If it isn't coming in the windshield its burning in through the side windows. It's HOT ...HOT!!! and a miserable experience.

I'm in Texas and have traveled a bit. I have solar/heat resistant film on the windshield and side windows. I still need A/C up front.....

The coach air WILL NOT CUT IT it the cockpit!! and you are going to be burned out and fatigued, dehydrated, overheated and crabby in about an hour of driving. When you are fatigued, dehydrated, overheated you make errors.... 'nuff said.

And what about your passenger.... bet Momma gets really unhappy after a couple hours of that treatment.... And, if Momma ain't happy.... you know the rest!

FWIW and despite the questionable advice given above ..IMO, your coach is 'NOT MISSION CAPABLE'..... until you get that dang thing fixed.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #12

Ok... when I'm driving during the hot summer months... I do the following
  • Prior to leaving I turn the roof AC on (while plugged into shore power) and set AC to 65 degrees (gets the rig nice and cold for take-off)
  • draw all blinds (my unit has room darkening shades)
  • close all AC vents in the back bedroom (I have ducted AC)
  • Once underway, I turn on generator and run both roof AC units
  • Turn on fans mounted atop the windshield (factory installed)
  • If really hot.. I run a small "blower" fan I purchased and keep in the RV for such occasions
I don't know if there is anything you can do to mitigate the "terrarium" effect you get with the large windshield.. but what I do, works for me.. The "blower" fan really does help circulate the air, especially in the front by me..

I do run my dash AC occasionally, but I don't expect it to be very beneficial, hence the generator use... There have been numerous threads about using the generator or not.. I've come to the conclusion (for me) the extra couple gallons of gas I use is money well spent.. We buy these large beast to be comfortable.. not because they're fuel efficient..

You're gonna LOVE Gettysburg... we just did that trip last August..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #13

Re: "terrarium" effect - With genny and roof AC's running, if you set you cab AC to max, or whatever setting is required to achieve recirculating air, it will pull the pre-cooled interior air off the floor of your coach and blow it in your face. Ours will do this with enough gusto, even when driving into the sun, that the copilot keeps a sweater pulled over her knees with the blower on "medium".

Under these conditions, gas mileage is the last thing on my mind. It's about staying comfortable.

Re: going down the road with the windows open, if you pull the screens, watch out for the curtains! In ours, I might also be concerned if one of the dogs were to spot a squirrel while sitting at a light.....
Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

We just returned from a 750 mile trip from Mobile/Birmingham/Dothan/Pensacola and daytime was around 98 degrees.

Roof air with genset couldn't get us below 87. Bath and rear BR closed off; just the LR was cooled, and only vents needed were used.

Without the dash air blowing air over us, and the front window fans directed at us, it would have been beyond miserable. Dash air saved us our trip.

your results may differ.

Tags
dash, dash air