Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #1

Stupid Tire Pressure Question

Before I ask, please be advised that I'm an old broad. I've done searches on this website and on the internet and have yet to find an answer, so here goes.

Say tire pressure should be at 80psi, in the morning I show a couple with 76, a couple with 80 and one with 74psi, should I be adding air then, or wait until....?

I do have the TST tire monitor system. Am planning on heading east to I-10 on Friday.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Kaye (old, dumb broad)
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes! And yes. Bring all tires to cold specified air pressure. It's just part of what I do before any trip. One less thing to worry about. Also remember tpm' s show tendencies in air pressure, and may or may not be totally accurate. Just another tool in the toolbox
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you ever had your coach weight at a CAT SCALE truck stop and know what you need for tire pressure from the Michelin tire pressure tables for your size tire.
Your TST system may give wrong readings if weak batteries.
If everything is ok put in proper tire pressure before moving coach in morning.
You need proper tire pressure or run risk of tire blowout.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From an old workhorse:

Always check cold and fill accordingly based on weight on that tire/tires and manufacturers inflation tables for your tires. Depending on weight, tires on both ends of the axle, same psi. OK to vary front and back because weight on front and rear will be different. OK to vary for a better ride as long as you do not go below reccomended pressure. Generally people add a little extra psi for measure.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

Thanks guys,

As for recommended tire pressure, I just go by the placard on the drivers side door.
Tires are Toyo LT 235/85 R16.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't rely on the TPMS when adding air. I have a mechanical dual foot air gauge (extending rod type) I bought at a truck accessories shop and a digital Acurite one I bought at Camping World.
I had both checked for accuracy by Michelin at a rally. The mechanical one was dead nuts on and the digital one was off by 1 1/2 psi - not what I expected.
I use the mechanical one when I add air.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Afubar-

I would pump all tires to your desired pressure-COLD- and then set the initial pressure with the "crow's foot" guage and then check to see what TST sez--- Adjust if necessary. If all read within a few pounds(2-3) of what you desire, your good to go. As you travel on a hot day, or when one side is in the sun, it's not uncommon to see pressures 30 psi, or more, above cold psi- that's fine, no problem.

FYI---

I looked at your profile to see what size rig you have. I see it's a gas 38' tag axle job. Your probably running with 19 1/2" tires on a Chevy "P" chassis.

Mine is a 37' gas Mountain Aire- no tag axle. After 3 blowouts on the right rear inner tire I got "experienced" smart. I have 22 1/2" tires.
I know what everbody says about getting weighed, and I did. Now I just pump the tires on my rear axle up to the max (cold) psi on the sidewall of the tire. For me that's 110psi- cold. I also have the TST sensors.

No more blowouts in 3 years. I put Koni shocks on and I have a great ride. Far better than when I had new Bilsteins put on the coach. The "sidewall" pressure works great for me- It gives me a large safety margin. And oh, I might wear the rubber on the center or the tires down a little early in their life- Who cares-. I had much bigger concerns sitting on the side of the interstate with a blown RR inner. I carry a mounted spare that has a TST sensor on it also.

Good luck in your travels-,
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Inquiring minds want to know. Kaye (old, dumb broad)
That was a great question...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #9

Thanks guys.

Max - my tires are: Toyo LT 235/85 R16 and MH is on a Ford F53 Chassis. Love the tag axle, ride is great, can sit back and drive with one hand where as my old 74 Winnie Indian (23foot) was a two handed, white knuckle drive. Felt every semi passing by and any wind was a nightmare.

njs42 - I also use a mechanical dual foot air gauge when adding air.

In fact guys, have just spent the last 2 hours out checking manually and adding air.

thanks again
Kaye
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #10

One trick I use to make things easier (IMO), is to over fill the tires the day before departure, then in the morning, before the sun shines on any tire, I DEFLATE to the appropriate pressure, which takes little time, as opposed to inflation time.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote