Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggestions for Ice Cubes

No, not looking for the recipe.

We have a Tiffin with a Residential fridge (and ice maker).
But we are weekend RV'ers. I have not used the ice maker in the fridge yet because of the hassle (I think) of drying it out before storage.

Is there an easy way to use the icemaker but still be able to dry everything before storage? My main concer is what is left in the ice tray (frozen cubes)...dumping the ice drawer is not a concern.

Thanks,
Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You could cut the ice maker water supply line and install a shut off valve. When you get ready to shut it down, turn off the water supply and let the fridge freeze the water in the tray and dump the cubes. No more water will fill the tray and you can use the valve connection to blow out or drain the water line.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're Spring/Summer/Fall weekend RV'rs as well & we use our icemaker. When we're done, I turn off the fridge, leave the doors open & have a small table fan on the dinette across from & aimed at the fridge. That, plus the warmer weather seems to dry out anything that melts & stays in the cube tray. If anything IS left, it gets frozen & ejected the next trip. I always dump out the 1st batch of cubes anyway, just in case there were cubes made from leftover thawed water.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ice left in the tray is not as big a problem as you might think, Ok, yes, if it freezes it freezes,,,, What does it do in normal operation? (It Freezes) so what's the problem.

My suggetion,, Remove ice maker and install ice cube trays. (that is if you are worried about it)

Caution: you may just forget to replace Ice Maker since trays (2 in my case 4 in yours) work better.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I like the shut-off valve idea best. Not that crazy about having a tray full of water when it goes to storage when the goal is to have the doors open and keep everything dry.
I will take a look to see how hard it is to remove the try....maybe it can be easily emptied when the fridge is turned off.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan
Old 11-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #6

Dan, we live in Orange County too, so this should not be a problem. When we end a trip, on the way home we shut off the ice maker, and empty out the fridge when we get home. I leave the doors slightly open with a dish towel keeping the doors open so air can circulate. Your MH will most likely not be level and the water should settle in one area of your freezer area, and maybe a little in the fridge area.The next day I go in and wipe down the fridge and any water that may have come out of the ice maker as well as off of some of the cooling fins. You will be ready for your next trip this way, and any residual moisture(if any at all) will be sucked up by our fairly dry climate. There is no need to buy or add any shutoff valves ect, maybe in the east but not here in Southern Ca. If you are really worried I'm sure any RV store will be willing to sell you something but it's not really necessary.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
A paper towel dipped into the tray will wick the water out by evaporation pretty quickly, especially if you use Lori's tip of a fan blowing into the box.

If the ice maker is like a residential one, it's held in with one screw at the bottom, the top is slotted into pegs on the wall of the freezer. Very simple to remove, but I don't know if it's needed. Do you really have freezing temps in Orange Cty, CA?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #8

BFlinn, I think we would love to get some cold weather here, right now it is about 90 degrees out with mild dry winds. You could put a soaking wet towel outside and it would be dry in a few hours....It rarely gets down to freezing temps here and if it does it's only for a few hours(not days) in the middle of the night, and that may happen a few days per winter if we get a really cold winter.

I know I shouldn't be complaining as we don't have to winterize and can use our MH's year round. I know some places back east the winter gets old, but it would be nice to have some cooler weather during the Holidays.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you have electrical available, just leave the refer on. The electrical use is minimal and it's just like your house refer and will run forever.

If you don't have electrical available, I use to do what "BFlinn181" does when we had our Norcold. When we arrived home, my wife would leave the dish towel and hand towel out as we cleared out the motor home. Once the refer was empty, I would lay the towels in the freezer compartment and then come back the next day, dry up the freezer and dip the towels into the ice tray and wick out the water.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I keep it in indoor storage

The problem I have is that for storage, it is on a storage yard (indoor).
So even though there is no fear of freezing, I am concerned about mold.
And when we are done with a trip, sometimes I keep it at the hose for one more night, or it goes into storage the same day we return.

I am going to take a closer look the next time I have my hands on it and see the options.

Mike....Where in orange County do you live?

Dan
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #11

Your worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. The ice cube holder can be removed and emptied. What little water remains in the cube maker will evaporate in a couple of days. I have been using the ice maker in our Phaeton residential fridge on a off and on basis for 2 years with no problems. As mentioned earlier just empty out the first batch of cubes when restarting the ice maker. Or if you are really paranoid you can reach the water line shutoff that's already installed via the access panel on the outside of the coach behind the fridge location.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We don,t have an ice maker in our fridge, we use this. It works great for 2 people.

IGLOO Compact Ice Maker - Chrome - Sam's Club
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #13

Dan, we live in Fullerton, how about you?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I think I like the shut-off valve idea best. Not that crazy about having a tray full of water when it goes to storage when the goal is to have the doors open and keep everything dry.
I will take a look to see how hard it is to remove the try....maybe it can be easily emptied when the fridge is turned off.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan
Most of the water in the ice tray may be removed with a turkey baster and a length of clear plastic tubing that will slide into the baster nozzle. In my case I had to enlarge the nozzle opening to fit the tubing I bought. Wrap it with scotch tape to keep the tube in the baster and seal the connection. What remains will quickly evaporate with the door open.
Otherwise I do as Nlovnit does.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote