Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our rear pads on our coach are huge, so I don't carry any for the rear. I bought two of the Big Foot type that "halla" posted for the front. They're light weight, sturdy enough for a DP, plastic and easy to clean.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And dont be afraid to use a shovel for leveling when boondocking.
it is sometimes faster to dig a depression under a tire as it is to get out blocks for the other side.
Just don't go for a 2ft deep hole.

Regards,
Dan

Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
And dont be afraid to use a shovel for leveling when boondocking.
it is sometimes faster to dig a depression under a tire as it is to get out blocks for the other side.
Just don't go for a 2ft deep hole.

Regards,
Dan
Dan,
I've done just that, way more times than I care to admit. In fact, I've dug on one side, while raising the other side and, you should see some peoples faces when I get done digging and, placing ramps on the opposite side and, drive onto the ramps and into the hole at the same time. The coach just settles into perfectly level, in an otherwise UGLY spot. While it's not a preferred way to do it, it does work and, you don't need to travel so high on the one side to get it level.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Dan,
...you should see some peoples faces when I get done digging and, placing ramps on the opposite side and, drive onto the ramps and into the hole at the same time.
Scott

They're trying to decide which one of them should let you know that your coach has leveling jacks.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
They're trying to decide which one of them should let you know that your coach has leveling jacks.
Yep, it sure does. And I've used them to their extreme, TRYING TO GET IT LEVEL on some spots, only once or twice. When I attempted that, I had binding in not only the entry door to the coach but, interior doors, compartment doors and much more.

I just simply prefer not to STRESS the coach and or frame/chassis any more than it needs. So, it's just not hard for me to break out a shovel, a few blocks, some ramps etc. to make the GROUND do MOST of the leveling, prior to deploying the jacks. While I'll be turning a whopping 63 this month, I'm still agile enough to do what it takes to help prolong the life of our nice coach and its frame/chassis.

We love camping in remote areas, pine and wooded areas and more. And, with that comes the potential for un level spots. I don't LOOK for those un-level ones but, sometimes that's all that's available and, I just have to work with it. No biggie.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
For Jack pads I use Bigfoot pads 2" thick. These have good rope handles with holes where the handle attaches. I use those holes and my awning rod to place them under the jacks. I always use Jack pads to keep the jacks from overextending.

I use thick cutting boards under the tires at home when parked a while. I carry a few boards of 1,2 inchs thick for an unlevel site. If it takes more than that to level, I move. It always seems to be at the rear where it is unlevel and that's where the brakes are. I guess I am overly cautious .

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote