Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #1

Suggestions For Jack Foot Pads

I just bought a 2000 Damon Challenger 335 and the PO kept his Jack pads so I need to get some before we go on our maiden voyage. I guess I can take some 2x12 wood with me if I have to but I am trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. Is there any brand that is accepted as best buy for this size MH?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will most likely also need blocks to put under your tires so you don't lift the wheels off the ground.

Wood is the the good old standby.
I have some Valltera blocks, and some rubber jack pads.
I only use the plastic pads under the front tires.

These are great, but $$$

Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymark View Post
I just bought a 2000 Damon Challenger 335 and the PO kept his Jack pads so I need to get some before we go on our maiden voyage. I guess I can take some 2x12 wood with me if I have to but I am trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. Is there any brand that is accepted as best buy for this size MH?
Skymark,
What Dan sais about wood is definitely true. It's the good ole' standby for these applications. I myself have not looked for commercially constructed pads of any sort for quite a while since I just make all my stuff.

But, your thoughts about using 2" x 12" is good but, it's what's called SOLID lumber. In that, even when new, it can CRACK and split into two parts. When that happens, it's useless. Now, there's a small remedy for that. It's called Sandwiching. If you put a layer of minimum 1/2" but preferred is 3/4" plywood on each side of that 2" x 12" lumber, glued and screwed together, you'll have infinite life out of those pads/blocks.

The plywood will keep the lumber together, even if it cracks because, it can't go anywhere. That's one system. You can just layer 3/4" plywood together to make whatever height of blocks you desire. Again, just glue and screw them together and, you're done. Of course you can do a little fancy rounding of the edges, some sanding and, a coat or two of whatever protectant you desire to make them last.

Below are just some of what I've made to help with leveling.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I used a 12 x 14 piece of gluelam truss material and put an eye bolt in one side. I put them in by hand and use my awning hook to retrieve then from under the MH.
They are 3 inches thick and cheap to purchase, and easy to make.

P.S. the lumber yard will cut them to size.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #5

Scott your work is impressive, I may take some of that wisdom and some scrap and odd pieces and make some pieces to get me by for a while. Thx.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymark View Post
plastic cutting boards from wally world work well for us.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
plastic cutting boards from wally world work well for us.

Beware of the plastic cutting boards, they are very slick. They work well on level concrete pads, but not so well in the dirt. Especially when wet from rain, and not setting level on the ground. 5 thousand pounds is a lot of motivation to cause things to shift on rain soaked ground. This results in one heck of a strain on one jack when it slips to one edge and sinks in the mud. Enough stress to bind the jack. Just my experience. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

I used 3 pieces of plywood. Cut slots in the middle one and ran a short piece of nylon rope in the slot. I then used screw nails to screw all three pieces of plywood together. I ran screws from both sides.

RussellClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441195016.559646.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	105519
Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #9

Recycled Rubber
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150902_050350717.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	105520  
Old 09-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #10

For parking and leveling on our asphalt driveway I went to a machine shop and bought two 12" dia. x 3/8" thick steel plates and painted them white and put two holes near the edge and opposed to each other so I could move or retrieve the plates with two awning rods.

Works great. Helps keep all that weight of the rear engine diesel coach from sinking the jacks into the asphalt.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

Nice rubber pads can be cut from "stall pads" available at farm stores. They sort of look like truck mud flaps on steroids. I place a rubber pad under the tires when we are going to be stopped for a few days or longer. To cut the large mats down to size, I used a saber saw. Stinks like crazy, so do the cutting outside.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #12

I purchased the BigFoot Jack Pads from Outrigger.

They are very sturdy, they were expensive, but so was the motorhome. I carry some engineered wood for really un-level lots like the other posts.

images
Old 09-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #13

We did something similar to ChallengerRN. We have 2 sets. The ones we use on a regular basis are 12'X12". We have a larger set that's 24"X24" for use in particularly soft ground.

Rather than a handle we have a 3' nylon rope with a loop on the end. We originally used them on our 2001 Adventurer with a manual awning. The awning tool was perfect length to reach under the motorhome to grab the loop in the rope.

We've had the smaller set for years. When we went to GNR in 2014 they suggested larger pads because they had so much rain the ground was extremely soft. The larger pads came in handy there, but they're so much larger and heavier than the others we leave them home unless we know we'll be on soft ground.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #14

Yep,
It's all a matter of 1, what you'll think will work for you, 2, what you can carry, and 3, how much time and or money, you want to spend on pads/ramps/blocks/etc. And, one more thing, it's kind of dependent on your "Norm" for campgrounds/RV parks.

If you boon dock or, out-back camp a lot, you may encounter more conditions that warrant carrying more of those types of supports. If you're an "Improved RV Park" type, as in concrete/pavement pads etc., you'll more than likely not need much of those. It doesn't hurt to carry something for the "Just in case" scenario once in while.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote