Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Suggestions for replacement interior paneling and ceiling?

Anybody have experience with various types of paneling for interior restoration?

I had to remove the overcab bunk sidewall paneling and all of the ceiling paneling in my vintage 1977 Elkhart Class C to repair extensive leak-caused framing rot as well as water damage to the paneling itself. I finished the repairs and now I have to use something to finish the interior. I would like it to be as water resistant as possible AND I plan to make the panels removeable with screws and/or velcro so that I can open them to inspect for future leaks or framing damage. The old ceiling paneling was a sort of dense grey cardboard faced with textured white plastic film on the outer surface and a reflective silvery foil paper on the inner surface against the framing and insulation.

I have been thinking of using a sandwich of Masonite panels with that silver quilted Mylar underneath and some sort of upholstery fabric wrapped and glued to the Masonite for the wall or ceiling surface. I thought of the fabric because it would be attractive and I could also sew pockets to the wall panels to store things like glasses, tissue, reading matter, etc. in the bunk area, kind of a vertical night stand of sorts.

There is also sheet vinyl paneling -- I actually have a sheet of it, 4' x 8' and smooth on one side, textured on the other, that I had bought to use for the ceiling of a basement bathroom remodel. Has anyone tried using that for ceiling replacement in a motorhome? Wood product based paneling just seems so dicey to me in an area that is always at risk for water damage.

Any tips would be welcome as would reports of how people have installed replacement walls and ceilings. I also have two areas, one in the bathroom and one in the coach near the kitchen. where I had to cut down a couple of square feet of previously damaged ceiling from old water damage that has since been sealed up. I will be unlikely to be able to match the strangely textured white wallpaper-like film that was up there before, but I am not that hung up on perfection, just function and reasonable appearance.

Willowleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
You might try FRP. It's the stuff you see all the time on bathroom walls from the floor to 4 feet up

iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Sintra (PVC) Sheets

My wife and I bought a 1985 Eldorado Prelude Class C last month and are facing the same situation you are. I've been in the trade show exhibit business for about 25 years and your post got me thinking about materials we've used on exhibits.

Sintra (Sintra PVC) panels come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses (3mm is about 1/8"), weighs very little, is flexible, and water proof.

Another nice thing about Sintra (or any of the PVC sheets) is that it can be bent with a hot wire. It can also be permanently bonded to other pieces of PVC sheet with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) but I'm not sure that would be useful for our purposes.

Sintra (and similar products) can be purchased at sign supply stores and purchased in single sheets. I have access to a bunch of old graphic panels so I'll let you know if I figure out if it will do the trick.
SMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Make sure whatever you choose does not outgas when hot...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Thanks, SMATT, for that tip. I checked out the Sintra product and have a couple of possible sources to contact here. It appears it could be a useful material for the ceiling in the camper, perhaps even the walls, and I have also been looking for a waterproof sheet stock of some kind to use for the low ceiling of a basement bathroom remodel in my house -- the area is 5' by 7' and I would like something I could cover it with that would be one piece with no seams. I see the Sintra comes in 5' x 8' sheets.
Willowleaf is offline   Reply With Quote

ceiling, panel, replace, replacement