Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Suggestions on flooring remodel?

Some of you may have seen what happened recently: Ever wake up after 3 hours...

Well, we should be receiving our allure this coming Thursday.

Right now I ordered enough to get what I am willing to get done. I am planning on remodeling the shower next year, and putting in a larger one, which means I don't want to run the allure up to the wall there, as I will be pulling that wall out when I do the remodel. We were thinking of stopping at the bathroom, and either leaving the whole area open to the sub floor, or putting something else in and modifying it later. I have some scrap carpet I was thinking of putting in the toilet area for the winter, as that is the only place we will really spend any type of time in that area.

We've been trying to decide exactly what we will want to do up front by the bathroom/entry area. New carpet? Different allure in the future after that remodel? What about the entry step? The step lifts up for the battery compartment, so I don't want to seal over that. We want to keep as many transition strips we put in to be as low profile as possible. Any of you floor remodel gurus have any suggestions for this?

As for the cab area (1978 Dodge class C), I don't see much other option besides recarpeting that area. Was thinking of trying to find a molded carpet for it. I would assume the cab area is pretty much the same for this old Dodge as the B300's, so I know they are available.

Step area:

Right now, I figured I would run the allure up to the red line on the right side of the picture above. If anyone has any thoughts on what I could do with this section, it would be much appreciated. Wouldn't mind putting some "stone" vinyl up here if it was doable. That step and battery compartment are my biggest holdups of the area.

Picture of the area in question in general (old pic from original bunk remodel, but it gets the point across):

So now you know where things lie with my remodel. Any good insight or ideas are more than welcome.

P.S. Anything I do has to be as "discreet" as possible, so it doesn't interfere with other campers in the rv park.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #2

This is what we did. We wanted rid of as much carpet as possible, and have something that would look good, hold up, and be easy to clean. This job did not require a lot of noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38N_NewFloor_0409.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	28006   Click image for larger version

Name:	38N_NewFloor_04093.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	28007  

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your going to put laminate down if possiable do that last but I see your doing this in stages because most of the time it's ran length wise of the unit, there would be uneven board ends unless you run it side to side or kill the edge off and put something different.

Nice looking job on the floor
Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SYRENSKYWOLF,
we installed the sticky kind of allure in our moho about 3 years ago (nov 09). it is holding up very well.
we live in our moho pretty much fulltime. we have 2 17+ year old cats.
i would caution you to level the floor very well prior to installing allure. high spots will print through. it is ok, but we should have done a better job of leveling.
we have allure from just behind the driver and copilot seats to the back of the moho, including the stairwell. our batteries are under the stairwell step also.
i made several posts about our installation including pictures. they are in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
jmk

What would you used for the leveling compound before installing the allure
Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
jmk

How does the Allure flooring stand up to extreme heat in Florida, even when not being used and it gets over 100degrees in the coach. Jmk
Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk View Post
What would you used for the leveling compound before installing the allure
we used wooden floor leveling compound from home depot to fill in low spots and where we gouged the subfloor while removing the existing plastic flooring in front of our kitchen sink.
we should have paid more attention to the high spots in about 6 places.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk View Post
How does the Allure flooring stand up to extreme heat in Florida, even when not being used and it gets over 100 degrees in the coach. Jmk
allure is supposed to be a floating floor. a 1/8'' to 1/4'' gap should be left around the edges for expansion and contraction. we covered the gap with 1/4 round and 1.5'' baseboard moulding. see the pictures in the archives.
the allure should be at room temperature when installed. it was cold outside and we didn't do that well.
we did not leave a gap in all cases. we did not want the floor to move at the staircase edges and dinette floor edges so we used double back carpet tape under the allure. i expect that the double back tape would allow the floor to move a little if necessary. our floor has not moved.
we have 2 older cats that we fulltime with so we limit the interior temperature to 85 degrees, even when the outside temperature is 105 degrees or more. the allure sometimes feels warm just behind our engine doghouse. we keep the interior temperature at about 70 degrees in the winter.
we have not had any expansion or contraction problems.
i expect that if the gaps were adequate that the allure would hold up well in 100 degree temperatures.
my allure was manufactured in china.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/trafficmaster-a-19078
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #9

A friend who also has a couple of dogs and uses his m/h like I do, rarely in a c/g, decided he'd had enough of trying to get dirty carpets clean.

He took his m/h to a commercial flooring company who tore out all the old flooring, vinyl and carpet and replaced it with a lightly padded commercial sheet flooring that looks like wood. It's even textured to feel like wood.

They charged him ~$500 to do the whole job since he left the m/h at their shop and they could do it as 'fill in' work when someone got back early, or otherwise had some free time at the shop.

It not only looks fantastic, but they gave him a 10 year warranty on the product!!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
This is what we did. We wanted rid of as much carpet as possible, and have something that would look good, hold up, and be easy to clean. This job did not require a lot of noise.
Jim and Kynda - what product is that? It looks freat and I'm looking for something to replace the original carpet in our Minnie Winnie.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just about finished with the floor. Just need to pick up some transition strips for between the allure and carpet!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #12

Flooring

Love your choice of flooring. The pattern is beautiful.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks :] One thing I have noticed, though, is I will probably have to get a rug to go near the vent pictured. The flooring doesn't care for the heat too much. Dang Suburbans kick out a lot more heat at a lower rate than the old Duo-Therm did. The Duo-Therm kicked out less heat, but at a higher rate. Kind of miss it, to be honest. Sad it kicked the bucket.

TrafficMaster Allure African Wood Dark if anyone is interested in the color of the floor. The trim is denim wood as well. We couldn't resist, as we both love the look of denim wood (pine beetle infected wood).

Tags
remodel