Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sun RV Resorts - question for owners

We are at the facility in Sarasota, FL and being inquisitive I decided to go to the office to get a list of sites and homes for sale. Learned a couple of things that don't make sense to me.

Found out because of Sarasota law you can only live 9 months here and must leave for 90 consecutive days. You don't own the land and you also cannot claim Florida as your domicile if you purchase here. If one wanted to change their domicile to Florida for financial reasons, this would not be the place.

The craziest thing I simply can't get my arms around is the fact that you pay over $10,000 per year on monthly dues. I can't understand why anyone would do that. This is spent money, no equity. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't understand how it's a good financial decision. Would love to understand. To me, you could take that money, finance a lot at a much better resort in this area, and have equity in your investment. Anyone that can make sense of this I would appreciate it.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
We are at the facility in Sarasota, FL and being inquisitive I decided to go to the office to get a list of sites and homes for sale. Learned a couple of things that don't make sense to me.

Found out because of Sarasota law you can only live 9 months here and must leave for 90 consecutive days. You don't own the land and you also cannot claim Florida as your domicile if you purchase here. If one wanted to change their domicile to Florida for financial reasons, this would not be the place.

The craziest thing I simply can't get my arms around is the fact that you pay over $10,000 per year on monthly dues. I can't understand why anyone would do that. This is spent money, no equity. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't understand how it's a good financial decision. Would love to understand. To me, you could take that money, finance a lot at a much better resort in this area, and have equity in your investment. Anyone that can make sense of this I would appreciate it.
Are you really asking a bunch of folks who have bought an Rv for financial advice?
Old 11-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #3

Harbor Lakes RV Resort in Port Charlotte has the same restriction. i asked at the office what was behind this rule and was simply told, "it's the law". i asked a resident about this who couldn't explain the reasoning but said the park took a don't ask/don't tell stance. they don't actively enforce the law but added that someone from the state occasionally comes around noting which units are occupied.

either Charlotte County and Sarasota County have the same ordinance, the two parks have some sort of use rule or it's a state law.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapa1 View Post
Are you really asking a bunch of folks who have bought an Rv for financial advice?
I'm not asking anyone for financial advice. Not sure if you read my post, I am simply trying to understand how owners process the numbers because I'm not seeing it. Simply a lighthearted thread to ask a question.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
NXR

I do not understand how a city law (Sarasota) can impact state law (domicile). That's bass-ackwards.

$40 ( per day fee) * 30 (days) * 9 (months) = $10,800

If you want to stay there (Sun-n-Fun) overnight tonight, the rate is $82 for one night. Same for December.

So I can see some reason. It would depend on what other fees get tacked on, like electricity in the dead of summer.

Ray

What other fees are there for an owner?
Old 11-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #6

It is probably related to zoning and what is considered a permanent residence. Permanent residence having a different set of building codes and requirements that a park model RV will not meet.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
NXR thats funny fun in the sun the last month i have been in penscola i have felt more cold and seen more rain then the last year in az.

sorry for off topic
Old 11-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #8

My S&B is one exit South of Sun N Fun. I can remember going to Sun N Fun when I was 5 or 6 - I'm in my 60s now, so it's been around a really long time. I met a guy at the Millers Ale House that was staying at that park and I asked what the monthly rate was and he mentioned $1200+. So your numbers add up.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I'm not asking anyone for financial advice. Not sure if you read my post, I am simply trying to understand how owners process the numbers because I'm not seeing it. Simply a lighthearted thread to ask a question.
There is always at least one person that adds 0 contribution to a thread. Best to ignore those types and scroll on by. No need to feed the trolls. I have been curious about this myself so thanks for the thread. I do know you can establish Florida residency through Crestview, Fl.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

Generally speaking, in parks in Florida there are legally-designated RV lots or Mobile Home lots, and an RV can be put only on an RV lot. A park model is legally an RV, not a Mobile Home.

A municipality can certainly limit the stay in RVs; some do and some don't. Obviously the city or county does. For comparison, I believe you must still vacate for one day a year in Osceola County and not at all in Polk County. This is distinct from domicile; you could claim domicile but not at the park's address.

If you buy a park model you own the home and you rent the land. It's very common in Florida. There are desirable reasons such a location, weather etc to do that.

A danger is that your $250 rental lot gets jacked up to $2,500 and you're stuck with rent you can't pay and a park model you can't give away.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Simple: Sarasota has decided they don't want RV parks full of people who could qualify as permanent residents, so they made a rule that allows them to disqualify such folks. Plus zoning restrictions - by law an RV cannot be a permanent residence dwelling because it doesn't meet the state code for dwellings. Thus the RV park is by definition a place for transients, not permanent residents.

However, the city has no say over whether the state accepts you as "domiciled" in Florida or not. It may be the opinion of the Sarasota city attorney that owners at the resort don't qualify, but it's just an opinion and no better than anybody else's. There is nothing in the domicile determination that says you have to own property or stay in the state 24/7/365. Or any other rigid rule, for that matter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #12

We ran into that kind of thing in Naples FL., at the private marinas in their harbor.

You could rent slips for the year but only stay on your boat, at it, for 8 days a month.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Simple: Sarasota has decided they don't want RV parks full of people who could qualify as permanent residents, so they made a rule that allows them to disqualify such folks. Plus zoning restrictions - by law an RV cannot be a permanent residence dwelling because it doesn't meet the state code for dwellings. Thus the RV park is by definition a place for transients, not permanent residents.

However, the city has no say over whether the state accepts you as "domiciled" in Florida or not. It may be the opinion of the Sarasota city attorney that owners at the resort don't qualify, but it's just an opinion and no better than anybody else's. There is nothing in the domicile determination that says you have to own property or stay in the state 24/7/365. Or any other rigid rule, for that matter.
Very good points Gary. Thanks for the response. I want to establish domicile in Florida in the next few months so looking at a lot of different things and asking a lot of questions.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

Good information Gary. There are full-timers legally domiciled in FL, so it must be local ordinances.
There are thousands of RV parks containing permanently set-up RV's; the one where we winter has several year-round residents. It is a Sun resort.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote