Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 AM   #29
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
Do you need a ladder to install the Sunguard screens? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you need a small ladder to snap on the top snaps when putting on the Sunguards...you don't when taking them off. Since I carried a ladder anyway, I also had to use a ladder to install the Prompt as they are not that easy to install without one....Pounding my hand on suction cups that dont hold isn't my cup of tea....especially for the price!

I can put on my Sunguard front windshield cover and BOTH side window covers faster than I could put up just the Prompt front windshield cover.

I especially love the tight side window fit of my new Sunguard Shades. I could never get a good fit with the Prompts.....ever

One other major plus to the Sunguards is they are a 94% blockage vs the Prompt's 80%, so the Sunguards are much heavier duty and block more of the UV rays.

Anybody want my 1 year old white prompts front and side window covers, PM me and I will send for shipping costs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought Sunguards might be the way to go on my next coach or if I need a replacement for my present coach. I'm glad you are happy with yours; but if you need a ladder, they are not for me. I can install my Prompt sunscreens without a ladder (with only a one-step stool) and I could do it about 4 times in the amount of time it takes me to get my ladder out.

I agree the side screens of the Prompts are not as tight as I would like, but I'm willing to live with that so I don't have to get out a ladder and so I don't have to drill holes in my coach.

As far as the suction cups go, I found if they do not hold it is always because the face of the suction cup or the side of the motorhome (or both) are not clean. A quick wipe with a damp paper towel always does the trick for me. Even though my suction cups are original and are over 2 years old, they still hold well (even in rain and wind) if they are clean. Maybe you damaged your suction cups by pounding on them.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Last winter I went to Prompt with the intention of buying a set. I tried their sunscreens. IMHO, they fit too lose and sagged. I passed on them.

When I got home in the Spring I ordered a set of snap on Sunguards. I had Sunguards on my old coach. The Sunguards fit nice and tight and they were $100 less than the Prompts (although cost was not a factor).

-Tom
leaving in 2 weeks for 6 months on the road

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #31
cwg

This is turning into a "Us versus Them" but I am voting on the Prompt sunscreens. Last week my complete set arrived after seeing some friends trying out their new screens at a rally recently. I ordered mine and behold, they worked great and looked good.

When I read of the lack of tightness, I cannot understand that as on my coach the tightness is determined by the strap on the driver's side window. The suction cup at the front entrance door is nearly always in the same spot... the aluminum bars holding the screen against the windshield provide the vertical support... and the strap that connects to the window is the tightness variable.

I demonstrated my new shades to a friend who has the snap type sunscreen and he and his wife were very favorably impressed. Any setup that does not involve a ladder is a winner.

Of course, the real answer will not be determined until they are used for a while and an objective result is rendered. That will happen over the winter for us.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #32
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwg:
Of course, the real answer will not be determined until they are used for a while and an objective result is rendered. That will happen over the winter for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've been using Prompt for 2 years and they fit nice and tight in fact I went through a tornado, massive thunderstorms and all types of wind situations and my sunscreen fits nicely.

Now ... If the Prompt sunscreen is loose it's not adjusted properly.

Look Ma! No ladders!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #33

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:

Now ... If the Prompt sunscreen is loose it's not adjusted properly.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. The side covers are the one's that are loose. You have said in the past that you only own the front windshield cover.

My understanding is that the side screens will NEVER fit tightly as the front one (with the straps) as you are forced to use the suction cup on the side ones. Also, the side screens do not fit tightly against the window, and they stick out somewhat due to the suction cup.

As a previous poster commented that it could be that I pounded on the suction cups....I could get them to hold, but to make the side screens more tighter than loose (never nice and tight), you need more suction cups up the aluminum bar, and consequently a STEP LADDER as the ONE suction cup on the bottom bends the aluminum bar somewhat toward the top...hence the loose fit at the top. Engineering would require several suction cups up and down the bar, but then a small step ladder is required.

I did away with the whole loose Prompt side fit nonsense (chalked it up as a lesson learned) and bought the Sunguards, and there really is no comparison...even the MATERIAL is much better and I like the heavier 94% UV protection that the Sunguards have vs. the 80% UV thin fabric that the Prompt uses. Plus the Sunguards include the wiper covers...optional on the Prompts. Plus WHO likes to look out the front side windows at your STRAPS with the Promps?

I've actually never seen a motorhome owner that didn't own a small step ladder anyway.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #34

Using Tom N's picture of his motorhome, notice the nice tight fit on the SIDE COVERS with the Sunguards. You will never get that fit with the Prompts....its impossible, because you are covering the suction cups PLUS the straps from the windshield cover....thats alot of stuff under your front side covers. With the Sunguards, all you are covering is the window.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Nice motorhome Rockie's fan!

I might just leave the Sunguards on when I drive to FL next weekend. Keep the bugs off the windshield.

-Tom

Old 10-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #36

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Nice motorhome Rockie's fan!

I might just leave the Sunguards on when I drive to FL next weekend. Keep the bugs off the windshield.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry....I edited my post to give you credit for your picture of your motorhome. You take good pics!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #37

GLwilliams58, PM me your address, as you are the proud owner of my complete set of 1 1/2 year old white Prompt Sunscreens with storage bag!

Not one solitary Winnebago Voyage or Adventurer owner contacted me for these (almost new) complete 3-piece set of Prompts that I offered for FREE.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FrontRangeRver,

Thank you. The package arrived this weekend and I immediately put them on. They are a near perfect fit for my HR Admiral and of course the price was right.

In your post above your description of the side window fit is spot on. They are loose on the sides due to the suction cups and I could see where this may be a problem when the wind starts blowing.

As for the front window, the rubber strap and hook is not ideal for my windows because there is really not a window frame to get a good grip on. It holds in the rubber around the window pretty good, but I am sure that is not the design and I will have to do something different there. Perhaps on the Winnebago there is a better place to hook the strap.

These Prompts will be put to good use. My DW is very happy with the additional privacy without having to close the curtains. They are very nice to have. No ladder was needed and the rig was up on jacks. Thanks again for your generosity.

'04 HR Admiral SE 30' PDD P32 WCC
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I ordered a matching SunGuard window shade for the living area driver's side window. We almost always park with the patio side facing East. This exposes the driver's side of the coach to the hot West evening sun. Below are before and after photos.

-Tom

Old 11-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I'm seriously thinking of purchasing the Sunguard additional covers for the 3 large full length windows.

What did they charge you for the window you had done?

I already have the windshield, drivers window and door cover.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gordon:
What did they charge you for the window you had done?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This window sun screen was $70. I installed it myself.

-Tom

Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks.

Install is pretty easy. I got to make some measurements first.

These are the 3 I want done next.