Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Super excited & Scared!!!

Hello, let me introduce myself, my name is Lori S. My family and I bought a 2003 Holiday Rambler last Sunday. My Husband is going to get it registered tomorrow We are either going to go camping Monday evening or Tuesday morning. The problem, is I have NO IDEA how to hook anything up!!! When I googled how to hook up a Holiday Rambler, it showed other rv's but I didn't see a rambler. Are there any important beginner tips for us?
Ps: I don't expect step by step instructions.....I will be using owners manual... Just wondering if any big No No's or must do's.... Thanks in advance 🏕⛺️

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. When hooking up the electric , turn off the breaker at the pole before plugging in. When hooking up the sewer utilities , leave the black tank closed until it's time to dump .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Don't hesitate to ask your neighbors for help, most love to help.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, look around and ask for help. We were are noobs to this at one time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #5

YouTube has lots of videos. If I can help....ask! I have a 2003 HR Endeavor.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

Lori,

You seem to be literate and probably have an IQ in the 100+/- range. There is nothing about this that you can not do.

Most of us were born already knowing how to do this. (Yeah Right OK) You may make mistakes, but you will have to try real hard to make a mistake that someone else has not made before you.

Spend the first night in the driveway. The battery should keep through the night. Sit there and read through the manual and look at the pictures and remember the headings. This will be handy when you have to find that part again.

The reason you can't find any HR specific instructions is because there probably are none. There may be some issues specific to your model, but you will only find them in the owner's manual.

First - Fill the potable tank. Always.
If you don't have check lists (yet), tick through everything you plan to do and confirm that you have what to do it with. If you aren't sure check.

Before Departure: (do these things always - even if just moving the coach)
Check the oil and other things about the engine.
Check that all the things inside are stowed to survive a panic stop.
Do a complete walk around and look at everything and make sure that the hoses are stowed and the shore power disconnected. Are all the external doors locked?

Most of all, enjoy the excursion.

Frank
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We own a 2003 HR We are located in north alabama. PM me and i will give you my number am willing to help you. thx Gene & Sam (Samantha)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Lori,

You seem to be literate and probably have an IQ in the 100+/- range. There is nothing about this that you can not do.

Most of us were born already knowing how to do this. (Yeah Right OK) You may make mistakes, but you will have to try real hard to make a mistake that someone else has not made before you.

Spend the first night in the driveway. The battery should keep through the night. Sit there and read through the manual and look at the pictures and remember the headings. This will be handy when you have to find that part again.

The reason you can't find any HR specific instructions is because there probably are none. There may be some issues specific to your model, but you will only find them in the owner's manual.

If you don't have check lists (yet), tick through everything you plan to do and confirm that you have what to do it with. If you aren't sure check.

Before Departure: (do these things always - even if just moving the coach)
Check the oil and other things about the engine.
Check that all the things inside are stowed to survive a panic stop.
Do a complete walk around and look at everything and make sure that the hoses are stowed and the shore power disconnected. Are all the external doors locked?

Most of all, enjoy the excursion.

Frank
Also, if you have an awning, make sure it is not deployed!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Don't quite agree with this. I see no reason to fill the potable water tank unless boondocking is planned. Probably not much difference in a diesel but if it's a gas rig, the extra weight of that water can be done without. That being said, i do like to keep a few gallons in the tank for washing hands or using the toilet between stops.

Before leaving, do check your propane tank level.

As was mentioned, once at the campground, turn off the campsite breaker before plugging in the power cord. This keeps arcing from occurring if there is any load.

Water is easy with a standard drinking water safe hose. Might be good to use a regulator in case the campground has high water pressure. One thing i like to do is hook the water hose up to the campground faucet first and then run water through it to get the air out before hooking the other end to the coach.

Once water is hooked up, run hot and cold faucet for a few seconds. Add chemicals to the toilet with a bit of flushing action.

Turn on water heater. If using propane, make sure the propane tank has gas and is turned on. If it has an electric element, turn it on and save your propane.

Make sure the refrigerator switches over to electric.

Crank up the antenna, turn on the amplifier, and adjust for best reception if you want to watch over the air tv.

Note, for when you get ready to leave the campground,,, it might be a good idea to leave a note on the dash reminding to unhook water/electricity and let the antenna down.

Have fun!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #10

I get excited when I read about new-bees starting off for their first camping trip.

It's like it brings back old memories for us too. So many great suggestions, and reading through some, things that I would have never thought of.

Not much I can add at this point but maybe this: take lots of notes.
You learn every time you go out on a trip, or camp out in the driveway or read about trips of others.
You'll find your own way of doing certain things once you understand the basics of how and what works.
You'll come to realize some of our well wished suggestions just won't work for you, but that's ok, it so much fun learning these things as you go along.

Next you'll be asking about waste water control and treatments. Pay attention to what ever information your new owners manual has on your coaches system.

Making a mistake with the waste system, and leaving an antenna up when you pull out are two issues that bite even the most experienced at times.

Pls let us know how it all worked out.
We'll be right there with you in spirit.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:21 AM   #11

On YouTube look up RVGeeks and RVEducation101. Plenty there to get you started. Hooking up sewer, water, and power are pretty standard to pretty much all rigs. That's why you don't see any Holiday Rambler specific info.

BTW: yes you can run the generator while you drive.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
welcome to rv-ing...................first and foremost, while this forum will provide lots of information, it will also provide lots of opinions..............the whole rv thing isn't rocket science.............get a manual for your coach and read it..............find a qualified mechanic to work on all the things that are going to need tweeked................relax and enjoy...................I felt the same way you do, overwhelmed...........now, hooking up all utilities takes a matter of minutes..................make lists, follow them..............and remember, everyone has a better way of doing something (according to them), you have to find your own method and follow common sense............and again, I cannot stress this enough, get an owners manual and study it..............best of luck................
Old 08-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Get a small spray bottle to make a bleach water mixture. Use this to spray water hose connection at campground. Have seen many people use fresh water spigot to rinse black hose. Yuck. Don't cross contaminate your fresh water hose. You also might want to use a small amount of bleach to clean your fresh water tank and rinse well prior to using. Have fun!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I always start the refrigerator at least six hours before filling the frig. with food. The food should already be cold/frozen. Some will recommend 24 hrs.. The fuller the black/gray tanks are before dumping,the better. Good luck and welcome to IRV2.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler