Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
"Super Singles" vs Duals

For the last several years I have seen commercial carriers on the road with "Super Singles" in place of the duals on their drive axles and trailers. I recently read a little about them and found that they offer several benefits over duals, including increased fuel economy, better rolling resistance, and significant weight savings. That set me wondering if we RV owners would realizde any similar benefits over such a system. Anyone have any input?

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #2

Some of the drawbacks may be availability (when you're 200 miles from anywhere), initial cost of tires and wheels, and losing any ability to limp the RV to service. Definitely would need ERS with a flat or blowout. Just food for thought...

PeelOttaHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Commercial tires are designed to haul a maximum weight the most efficiently, a comfortable ride isn't a design parameter. Most big trucks have air-ride seats and air-ride cabs for good reason.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think initial cost might be high to get set-up if new wheels are required - maybe a spacer for the missing wheel as well.
I might be wrong, but I don't see it as simply installing one tire on an old wheel due to you are doubling the weight on it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When you have a flat it is very hard to even limp off the road to a safe area and may tear up the wheel unless you have a tandem axle
Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #6

I think moterhome mag had an article on this not long ago.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
For the last several years I have seen commercial carriers on the road with "Super Singles" in place of the duals on their drive axles and trailers. I recently read a little about them and found that they offer several benefits over duals, including increased fuel economy, better rolling resistance, and significant weight savings. That set me wondering if we RV owners would realizde any similar benefits over such a system. Anyone have any input?
I know Newmar tested them a few years back. They still don't use them on their production units. Must have found some reason not to use them. Cost?

I talked with a gasoline truck drive once about them. He said they had less traction in rain and snow. Around here that would be a biog concern.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
The biggest downside would be having to carry two spares, one of which would be huge. Local commercial fleets don't have to carry spares since they can have a service vehicle run out with one in the event of a flat.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If one of my duals go I like the fact that I at least have another tire there till I get her stopped. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
CD

My experience with super singles was in a tire shop that I was part owner and that was 40 yrs ago. They take wheels made for super singles (tubeless) and are very difficult to change with out proper tools (that we didn't have). WE had a customer that used them so we learned to live with them. They must have equipment now to change them with but would probably only be where they deal with commercial OTR trucks. The beads on the tires must be 2 to3" thick.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #11

in my experience...Super singles weigh 100 lbs less than a pair of duals...They were most often used in carrying bulk cargo which was loaded on the scale...Maxed out at 80,000 lbs...So you could carry 800lbs more each load...

I didn't like to drive them...slippery on wet pavement....buried in dirt....changing flats was moot.....I had to call the service truck ...We weren't even allowed to change them ourselves ...any tires....Company policy...Their truck ...their rules...

The tire and wheel weighed about 300 lbs....A bear to lift one into the service truck!...
Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tend to agree, the construction of commercial vehicls is such that if you blow and tear up a tire not much secondary damage happens.

Motor homes are a tad top heavy so if you blow a set of duals and do not have the training (PLUG for the Mitchlin Safety Video which I'm sure is linked to somewhere in these forums) you may be in serious trouble.

But though driving on a single dual is NOT recommended.. Driving long enough to get to the shoulder, IS, and perhaps even a rest area.

If you got to call a tow truck .. Trust me.. They really like it when they can respond to a rest area instead of the middle of a lane with their "behind" hanging out in the 70+MPR breeze of passing idiots (Assuming it's a 55 mph zone)

I now a Tow driver or two who have been smacked by said idiots.

Know a few police officers who got splatted too.

Sure woke me up on Midnight shift when the new kid at the post radioed his partner was down.

(True story.. I ran out of gas once, managed to coast it into a rest area parking spot.. Driver was very happy with that location.. Of course Daughter blew a tire onece, Limped into a parking lot, Driver (AAA) said he could not find her.

The parking lot: AAA Michigan Headquarters parking lot.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #13

Do a search....I think there were a few MH owners on this site that were testing and running the super singles. It was 3 or 4 years ago if I remember right. If memory serves there was one guy in the Monaco section that was posting his info on running them.

I think most have stayed with the duals because of the initial cost. Although driving with the super singles on wet or snow wound up being a little more slippery. I see the super singles being run in the summer months. But I have not seen any being run in the winter.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had super singles on a Camper that I had. I would have preffered duals just for the safety factor

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote