Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #1

Just installed four super steer motion control devices on my 2005 Gulstream 38ft coach on a Freighliner XC chassis. The installation was very easy took less than 30 minutes for all four. I used a local repair shop that had a truck bay with a pit. I did not really know the owner previously but he was nice enough to allow me to use it. He only asked for $20.00, but I gave him more since if I was to do this in my drive way it would have been very difficult with required chassis blocking for safety. He was so happy with a little extra that he offered his bay for oil changes and etc.
I did not get an opportunity to really test it out however the wind is blowing at 20 to 25 miles an hour here and I drove it for about 20 miles on some highway and also back roads. I can tell you from that short distance there is a significant in improvement in the side to side roll or sway.
I will be traveling south from NJ in a few weeks and will update you further then.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #2

Just installed four super steer motion control devices on my 2005 Gulstream 38ft coach on a Freighliner XC chassis. The installation was very easy took less than 30 minutes for all four. I used a local repair shop that had a truck bay with a pit. I did not really know the owner previously but he was nice enough to allow me to use it. He only asked for $20.00, but I gave him more since if I was to do this in my drive way it would have been very difficult with required chassis blocking for safety. He was so happy with a little extra that he offered his bay for oil changes and etc.
I did not get an opportunity to really test it out however the wind is blowing at 20 to 25 miles an hour here and I drove it for about 20 miles on some highway and also back roads. I can tell you from that short distance there is a significant in improvement in the side to side roll or sway.
I will be traveling south from NJ in a few weeks and will update you further then.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You'll love them! My coach is on the Freightliner Evolution chassis which I believe is an XC. I recently spent a couple days in southern Oregon to have Henderson's install not only the motion control units but a new bell crank and Safe-T-Steer unit as well. I just couldn't believe the difference. Too bad we have to put this kind of money into new coaches to make them handle they way they should!

Enjoy

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Tom, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Be sure to check out the Gulf Stream Owners section midway down the main foum page. We hope you will be an active participant and keep us informed of the upgrades you have made. Have a safe trip and enjoy the forum.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom,
Welcome to iRV2. I'm glad to hear of the great results with the Super Steer Motion Control addition to your coach. I do not have them yet, but they are on my list for Santa. If he forgets, then they will be on my list for a 2008 purchase. I've read only good results about this product.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #6

Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield's Avatar

I'm another one sold on the Motion Control units. I had them installed last week just before a 3000 loop out to Pismo Beach and back.

The first time I drove this loop (pre control units), the curves and hills were causing us to suck up a little bit of upholstery!

With the control units, It was a much better ride. One thing I noticed a dramatic improvement on is when large trucks passed me going the opposite direction on a two lane highway. My coach used to do a bit of a dance when they passed. On this trip, I didn't notice any movement.

Now the question is why Freightliner doesn't put something like ths on their own?

2016 Thor Tuscany 40GQ
Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #7

OK Guys!! You have got my interest, This Super Steer Motion Control! How dores it work??? Moving air from bag to bag Or??? Must be air as thesse things go in air line??? Yes/No???

My Coach is really very good!!! I do feel a bit of push when a Semi passes But really very little.

Not sure I 'Need' it!!!

Rick
Old 01-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Rick,
The Super Steer Motion Control Units are restrictors. There are no moving parts. They are installed in the air lines going to the air bags. They slow down the air from moving out of the bags when the weight of the coach shifts from side to side. Go here to read the manufacturer literature.

I have also reported amazing results with this product. Go here to read another thread on this product.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #9

Hey Gary So they are 'restrictors' slowwing te air transfer down!!!

I was thinking about speeding it up!!! I am gonna think about this one!!!

Rick
Old 05-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #10

Where is the best price to by the Super Steer Motion Control?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
To determine thew best price, will require a trip under your coach to determine what size Motion Control units are needed. A caution is that the front and back may be different. An example is my coach. The front took 1/4". The rear are 3/4". I did a Google search and found RV Upgrades to have the best price. Second place was Super Steer, the manufacturer. When contacting RV Upgrades, the guy I talked to didn't seem interested in ordering the 1/2 to 3/4 inch adapters. The RV Upgrades web site did not have the adapters listed. I got mine directly from Super Steer. I was able to order the 4 units and 2 adapters on their web site.

If your coach needs 1/2" or less then RV Upgrades may be the best price.

The installation was more work than I thought it would be. This was due to my chassis and not the motion control units.

I can tell you that they are worth every penny I spent. These are one of the few products that actually work better than the advertisement claims!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Take the Sway Away

Motion Control Units from SuperSteer are the Solution to Excess Sway in Air Bag-Equipped Coaches

By: Chris Hemer
Photos: Courtesy Author and SuperSteer

May 08, 2008 -- One of the best things about owning a luxury motorcoach is air suspension---the ability to glide down the road as if on a cloud, virtually impervious to intrusions caused by bumps and pot holes. It's a sweet life, all right"that is, until you encounter uneven road surfaces and driveways that can make an air-suspended coach rock back and forth mercilessly.

The problem stems from the physics of the airbag itself, but also how the air bags are plumbed. On many systems, the air bags on one side are plumbed into the bags on the opposite side"so as the driver side bag(s) are compressed, for example, it dumps its air to the passenger side bag(s), setting off a rocking motion. Even on systems where the air does not go into the opposite bag, rocking can still be a problem; air bags have the rebound characteristics of a basketball, so once the rocking motion gets started, it can take a while to stop.

Up until recently, there was very little a coach owner could do about this problem except hang on and wait for it to subside. But in recent years, the motorhome chassis experts at SuperSteer in Grant's Pass, Oregon have been perfecting a solution that is not only very effective, but affordable, too. SuperSteer calls it a Motion Control Unit, or MCU"and its simple purpose is to control the flow of air into and out of the bags, resulting in more predictable handling.

"The idea is to keep the air pressure in the bags as equal as possible, preventing rapid fluctuation," explained Robert Henderson, president of SuperSteer. "The way the air flows into and out of the bags is crucial; shocks and sway bars can only do so much. In fact, some coaches don't even come equipped with sway bars, and to put them on is either very difficult or impossible to do. On coaches like this, MCU's are a real blessing. You can also combine the MCU's with a quality shock like the Koni FSD or the new RoadKing, which is available through our motorhome service division, Henderson's Line-Up."

Originally designed for another industry, the MCU's value was immediately recognized by Henderson, who then helped to develop the device for use on RVs. About the size of a shotgun shell, the MCU contains baffles that regulate the flow of air, and there are different levels of baffling available. "That's one of the things we've learned recently, that we can add varying degrees of control using different MCU's," said Henderson. "Typically, more sway is generated from the rear of the coach, so we can change the rate of control front to rear to achieve the desired results."

Installation is pretty straightforward"the air line is thoroughly cleaned then cut, and the MCU is placed in line. The whole process takes about half an hour per pair of air bags, or under two hours. However, Henderson warns that this is not a job for the do-it-yourselfer. "The coach has got to be properly supported, because when that air line is cut, the coach is coming down. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you could be pushing up daisies."

MCU's retail for $180-$250 a pair. If you prefer to hear rock n roll rather than experience it in your coach, they're the perfect solution.

SOURCE: SuperSteer
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
These units are WELL worth the price. I had them installed at the Perry GA Rally this past March, what an improvement. Not only does the coach no longer pitch violenty, she has a much more supple and compliant ride quality.

I give this upgrade a <span class="ev_code_RED">5 Posum</span> rating.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here is a great place to get your MCU's

MCU's available at RVupgrades