Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello does anyone have a preference between the portable surge guards mgmt. systems.
I'm looking at either the 50 Surge Guard or the Progressive Industries Mgmt. System.
Opinions appreciated about the two.
Cost for each one is very comparable.
Thanks

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello does anyone have a preference between the portable surge guards mgmt. systems.
I'm looking at either the 50 Surge Guard or the Progressive Industries Mgmt. System.
Opinions appreciated about the two.
Cost for each one is very comparable.
Thanks

Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for the lapse in information.
Both are 50 Amp units.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry about the lapse in information.
Both are 50 Amp. units

Old 05-31-2008, 07:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I like the portability of the portable version. Especially since I was easily able to take it with me from my last coach to this new one. I have the Surge Guard and have had no reason to be unhappy with it, seems to work just fine. However, a lot of people on this forum lean toward the Progressive Industries unit, either portable or permanent. I'm not technically savy enough to know why one is better than the other, but like I said, I have been more than happy with my portable Surge Guard.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #6

I have the Pro Ind's hard wired model with the remote monitor. I like having the monitor inside the coach. Either one will do the job. I would never have a coach without one. Way to many expensive electronic's in the MH to risk ruining, very costly to replace.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Surge Guard portable 50 AMP unit. It works as advertised. I would make the same purchase again. My unit stays in the electrical compartment. I purchased an additional 30' of 50 AMP cord and use this cord to run from the coach to the CG power pedestal.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the hard wired (I'm a little leery of leaving something that expensive hanging on a power box while I'm out sight seeing and my cord is on a power reel) Surge Guard, but wouldn't mind having a monitor inside the coach. I know mine has shut the power down when necessary on a couple of occasions. Go with one or the other, but don't go without.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am in the process of installing a surge guard in my Coach. I am using a hard wired model but have made it "portable" by installing pigtails on each end. It is mounted in the electrical bay but can be taken out of the circuit if need be. I chose this method to eliminate the possibility of theft.

I hope to have the installation completed this week and will post pictures when completed.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 50a SurgeGuard hard wired unit that I picked up on EBay for $100.00. Know it works well. The first time we were at a campground after installing the unit, it did it job. I had both A/C's running and started the microwave, the power went out. I check the breakers in the coach and at the pedestal, all were on. I finally figured out that the SurgeGuard unit dropped out, after resetting, everything was fine.

I measured the voltage at the pedestal, it was down to about 89v. So much for good powers systmems in RV parks.

SurgeGuards units work.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have the Progressive Industries hardwired EMS unit.

The hardwired unit has a display in the coach where you can see whats going on, good or bad.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I have the 50 amp Progressive Industries hardwired unit. I am not totally able to do "do it yourself", and specifically electrical challenged. I bought 3' of the required wire rather than cut my 50 amp cable and after diligently reading and re-reading the instructions and everything on this web-site (there are other threads) I installed the unit in about 2 hrs in front of the switching unit. I did not want it to be in the generator circuit. I opted to use only the provided digital readout in the power bay and watch it closely when hooking up. It has paid for itself with shutdowns for power surges. If i were to buy a different coach the removal process should be easy.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #13

I have the Progressive Industries portable 50 amp surge guard. It has been in use for a little over 4 years now with no problems. I plug into a 30 amp receptacle next to my house, while the MH is not in use and use the surge guard there also.
The reason I got the portable version was my lack of electrical knowledge. I didn't want the hassle of having to bring it in some where, to have the hard wired version hooked up. I do have the line lock, so if someone wants to steal it they will have to cut my 50 amp cord to take it, so far no ones has messed with it.
I have had to change sites 5 times, over the past 4 years of camping, because the surge guard would not stay on. When each of the pedestals were checked they showed too low of a voltage. This may have saved me from burning up an airconditioner or some other high cost electrical appliance.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #14

This is out 2nd Progressive SG Hard wired. I left one in our first MH when I sold it. Mistake. Would not leave home without it. BTW, the hardwired unit can be moved to another coach if you are selling it. Not hard to do at all. (we did it from our 2nd MH gto our 3rd MH) I think the only decission is whether you have room to put the HW unit in. If you have the room do the hardwired unit.

Ours has saved us over 4 times, 2 lightnings, one miswired plug in State park in Tenn, and one low voltage. I especailly like the sending unit because it lets you know the conditions before it actually kicks in in the MH. Use the advise above and buy a short piece of wire and use that to hook up the unit. s/Toby