Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #15

surge guard also...the claims that progrssive is better is just ford or chevy...jeff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
surge guard also...the claims that progrssive is better is just ford or chevy...jeff
Not arguing - but it does raise the question - what is Fords answer to the Corvette?
I went with the Vette - cut the cord added the connecter plug ends and mounted portable in the electric bay.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-212184223.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	691.8 KB
ID:	37852
To each their own.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Joe,

Progressive Industries started out by having some period of time for their warranty, I can't remember what it was however, they are such a great company with a fantastic product that they decided to give everyone a Lifetime Warranty no matter when you had purchased the unit.

Now that is EXTRAORDINARY customer service!

Their units are SO much better than the TRC ones along with their great warranty and customer service that it is really a no brainer in my book.

One example between the two units is the difference in response time of each manufactures unit when it encounters a dropped out neutral or ground. The PI unit is a very small number of milliseconds whereas the TRC unit will NOT publish their data but will only say that it is adequate.

When it comes to an open neutral, you want the unit to drop power immediately otherwise you will be replacing electronic devices in your coach.

But everyone has their own opinions and choices to make.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, that's an excellent point you made about the response time of the units when dealing with a surge.

As you said, the Surge Guard response time is not published. To me, that's a BIG red flag!

You mentioned that the response time on the PI was "a few milliseconds". Actually the response time on the HW50C is less than 1 nanosecond when dealing with a surge! That's incredibly fast!

I agree with your assessment. It's a no-brainer!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
TRC (Surge Guard) response time for a surge is 10 MS. The reason for this is that in the interest of keeping power to the coach, the Surge Guard will suppress the surge (to within proper specs) for that amount of time. If the surge continues power is cut to the coach. If the surge goes away, the power is not cut to the coach. I know this will be difficult for some of the Brand bigots, but both products are good. Both come from good companies. Consider touting the benefits of the product you are passionate about and leave off the disparaging remarks about another product. After all, you may not have the correct, complete or current information.

After hosting and co-hosting more rallies than I can remember, for me, I use and recommend the Surge Guard. I have never been called to a coach with Surge Guard protection. I have been called to coaches with Progressive Industries protection. The calls are mainly for power not being reliable and power to the coach being cut. I have talked to both companies about their design and both stand behind how they handle surges. Most rallies depend on large generators for attendee coach power. I have never been told of a coach with either brand of protection having ruined appliances.

It comes down to does one want power cut as soon as the spec is exceeded or does one want the protection to suppress the surge for 10 MS and then cut the power?

The decision is not a no brainer. If one takes the time to do the research, it comes down to what does one prefer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Community Administrator

The op was interested to know who uses a protective device. Everyone has their favorite and they have been touted. Lets get back to the topic , please.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
TRC (Surge Guard) response time for a surge is 10 MS. The reason for this is that in the interest of keeping power to the coach, the Surge Guard will suppress the surge (to within proper specs) for that amount of time. If the surge continues power is cut to the coach. If the surge goes away, the power is not cut to the coach. I know this will be difficult for some of the Brand bigots, but both products are good. Both come from good companies. Consider touting the benefits of the product you are passionate about and leave off the disparaging remarks about another product. After all, you may not have the correct, complete or current information.

After hosting and co-hosting more rallies than I can remember, for me, I use and recommend the Surge Guard. I have never been called to a coach with Surge Guard protection. I have been called to coaches with Progressive Industries protection. The calls are mainly for power not being reliable and power to the coach being cut. I have talked to both companies about their design and both stand behind how they handle surges. Most rallies depend on large generators for attendee coach power. I have never been told of a coach with either brand of protection having ruined appliances.

It comes down to does one want power cut as soon as the spec is exceeded or does one want the protection to suppress the surge for 10 MS and then cut the power?

The decision is not a no brainer. If one takes the time to do the research, it comes down to what does one prefer.
Gary, if I'm reading you correctly and it takes 10 milliseconds for the device to detect a surge, I believe that a LOT of damage could be done to sensitive circuits in that length of time! I personally would not consider buying any surge protection with a response time of more than 5 nanoseconds. JMHO
Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MSHappyCampers,
You did not read my post correctly. The detection is immediate. The protector will suppress the surge for 10 MS. If the surge is still there power to the coach will be cut. At no time did the surge enter the coach.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #22

Progressive Industries PT50C

I was looking for this model, but Camping World doesn't carry it. Any recommendations for finding and purchasing? Thanks! Tom
TomMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller
I was looking for this model, but Camping World doesn't carry it. Any recommendations for finding and purchasing? Thanks! Tom
Try Rvupgrades.com. They have both if I'm not mistaken.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi MSHappyCampers,
You did not read my post correctly. The detection is immediate. The protector will suppress the surge for 10 MS. If the surge is still there power to the coach will be cut. At no time did the surge enter the coach.

Gary, the thing that bothers me is that they don't state what the initial response time is! That leads me to think that they aren't proud of it! Have I missed that somewhere? Thanks!

Joe
Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MSHappyCampers,
My view is you have missed just about everything I have posted. I do not speak for any manufacturer. If you want the correct story, from the author, consider contacting Surge Guard at 800.780.4324 extension 311.

The purpose of my posts have been to introduce information to readers of this thread that may be of value. I know what my experience has been with thousands of coaches (at rallies). I know what my experience has been with my own coach(s). Post #18 is a summary of these experiences. Each person needs to determine their own requirements and preferences. There is no right or wrong. We are fortunate that we have choices from a variety of very good suppliers for the products we purchase. Each person needs to do their research and determine which product is best for them.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #26

jeeze 10 nano or 10milli seconds is not going to hurt anything...now if an electrical engeneir that HAS knowledge on this very thing {in other words not just a job} has the information that can help with how long it actually takes for damage to actually occur can chime in then there is not a need to argue that point...if 10 mili is not enough then i am very confident that it would not be there or there would be many with failures reported...it is there bussiness to have acceptable response time or they would be out of bussiness...jeff
Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Let's try this one more time. The Surge Guard is designed not to allow the surge through to the coach. If the surge remains present at 12 MS it disconnects power to the coach. The Surge Guard can not allow the surge into the coach. It just isn't possible. It will allow itself to be destroyed. The 12 MS is to allow for "hiccups" in the power to pass without interrupting power to the coach.

There are two different design concepts at work here. Call each company to have their design described to you.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, I called tech support at TRC who makes the SurgeGuard. I asked the guy what was the time it took their units to detect and clamp a surge. He told me it was 10 milliseconds. That's 10 thousandth of a second. The Progressive Industries is less than 1 nanosecond. That's 1 billionth of a second. Quite a difference there!

Another big difference I see is the warranty. The SurgeGuard has a 1-year warranty. The Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty.

Some of the older SurgeGuard units give you an indication that a problem exists but do not shut off power to the RV. Just think what could happen if a problem develops in that power pedestal some time AFTER you plug in!

Finally, Progressive Industries provides 24/7 emergency tech support and SurgeGuard is only during normal working hours.

As you said, it's an individual choice, but to me that choice is obvious!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!