Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #29
Community Administrator

Since you guys are still comparing these , here's a link to a comparison of all models by these two mfg.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279

Enjoy.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #30

I'll pay the fifty some odd bucks difference for the Progressive. Looks like money well spent.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Since you guys are still comparing these , here's a link to a comparison of all models by these two mfg.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279

Enjoy.

Thanks Cliff! That's a great help, although it doesn't show the response times that we have been discussing.

Joe
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #32

well that comparison is not what it says on trc site..says it has protection for all the items it says no on cpmaprision site....

Electrical Rating120/240V, 50ASurge Suppression (Joules)3,850Cord Gauge6/4Max Spike Current6,500AOver/Under VoltageYesOpen Neutral ProtectionYesReverse Polarity ProtectionYesMiswired Pedestal IndicationYesDangerous Current on Ground Wire IndicationYesTime delay at power up (128 seconds)YesWeather ResistantYesLock Hasp AvailableYesElectrical Rating120/240V, 50ASurge Suppression (Joules)3,850Cord Gauge6/4Max Spike Current6,500AOver/Under VoltageYesOpen Neutral ProtectionYesReverse Polarity ProtectionYesMiswired Pedestal IndicationYesDangerous Current on Ground Wire IndicationYesTime delay at power up (128 seconds)YesWeather ResistantYesLock Hasp AvailableYes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #33

Here is my 2 cents. I have an external Surge Guard that is 6 years old for my motorhome . In that time it has saved my electrical system several times from under, over and a shorted electrical box. It is pretty cheap insurance. I chose an external unit for the simple reason that it sacrifices itself to protect your coach. I have seen pictures of the them that look pretty nasty after taking a hit. Wouldn't do much good if it started a fire in your bay after saving the unit from electrical problems. I have a lock for the Surge Guard. I also purchased a new external Surge Guard for my fifth wheel which I leave in Florida.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
well that comparison is not what it says on trc site..says it has protection for all the items it says no on cpmaprision site....

Electrical Rating120/240V, 50ASurge Suppression (Joules)3,850Cord Gauge6/4Max Spike Current6,500AOver/Under VoltageYesOpen Neutral ProtectionYesReverse Polarity ProtectionYesMiswired Pedestal IndicationYesDangerous Current on Ground Wire IndicationYesTime delay at power up (128 seconds)YesWeather ResistantYesLock Hasp AvailableYesElectrical Rating120/240V, 50ASurge Suppression (Joules)3,850Cord Gauge6/4Max Spike Current6,500AOver/Under VoltageYesOpen Neutral ProtectionYesReverse Polarity ProtectionYesMiswired Pedestal IndicationYesDangerous Current on Ground Wire IndicationYesTime delay at power up (128 seconds)YesWeather ResistantYesLock Hasp AvailableYes

I'm sure that's true for their latest models but the tech at TRC told me that on some of the older models they will indicate a problem but not shut off power to the RV. I have to believe their tech support knows what he's talking about. Why don't you give him a call and question him about this.

Anyway, it all comes back to what Gary said. Each person has to decide for himself which one to get. Either one is FAR better than not using one at all!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #35

MS that is probaly true but everybody here is talking about buying new ones i thought...and even if i had the old one i would upgrade as they do there job.and many places only carry one or the other when buying local and i would support local all the way...all is well ..jeff
Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
MS that is probaly true but everybody here is talking about buying new ones i thought...and even if i had the old one i would upgrade as they do there job.and many places only carry one or the other when buying local and i would support local all the way...all is well ..jeff
Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about old units that have been discontinued, I was referring to some that are still in their line but don't have all the features of their latest offerings.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I have the permanent mounted Progressive unit in my coach and am very happy with the unit. I like that it tells me the incoming voltage from the source and also how many volts my coach is actually using at any given time. I did have 2 problems with the unit. Once I called and they sent me a replacement board and talked me through the installation. While I was waiting a few days to receive the new part, they told me how to bypass the unit so I could still provide power to my coach. I also called them on a holiday weekend, and they returned my call within 15 minutes and corrected the problem over the phone. I purchased mine in Quartsite, Az. at the big tent. You should be able to find a seller online, just google Progressive Industries. Mark
Old 05-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
I went to Camping World this morning and purchased a Surge Guard 34560 for $179. It may not be the "best of the best", but it's better than what I have now...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I went to Camping World this morning and purchased a Surge Guard 34560 for $179. It may not be the "best of the best", but it's better than what I have now...
We also just purchased and installed the 50 amp premanently mounted Surge Guard in our new motorhome. We had over 12 years and 100,00 miles on our last motorhome when trouble struck. It was ur second to last trip and we were going around Lake Superior. There was a lightning strike near by that wiped out the One Pace monitoring system.

Since we had one more trip that would last over 2 months we decided to have it repaired. The strike took out the digital display, which should have been a relatively simple matter to replace. Had the motorhome been a few years newer the repair would have been less expensive. However over the years the company changed the wiring so both the sending unit and the display had to be replaced.

The repair at the Winnebago factory in Forest City IA was a little over $400.00. The surge protector is only $179.00. Hopefully if we experience the same or similar problem in the future the surge protector will do its job and there won't be any repair costs.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #40

Deleted by OP
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm sure that's true for their latest models but the tech at TRC told me that on some of the older models they will indicate a problem but not shut off power to the RV.
Quote:
Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about old units that have been discontinued, I was referring to some that are still in their line but don't have all the features of their latest offerings
Are you talking about the product that is a surge protector only, i.e. no voltage monitoring? They do have one product that provides surge and GFCI protection but nothing else. I think that one shuts off power only in the case of a ground fault. Kind of a different animal than the full function power monitors we have been discussing here.

Portable 30 amp GFCI Surge Guard with Shock Shield - Technology Research Corp 44740-004-012 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Are you talking about the product that is a surge protector only, i.e. no voltage monitoring? They do have one product that provides surge and GFCI protection but nothing else. I think that one shuts off power only in the case of a ground fault. Kind of a different animal than the full function power monitors we have been discussing here.

Portable 30 amp GFCI Surge Guard with Shock Shield - Technology Research Corp 44740-004-012 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
Gary, no I don't think the tech was talking about surge-only products since he specifically mentioned that some of them will indicate a problem such as loss of common, reverse polarity, etc., but not shut off the power. I wouldn't think the surge-only models would have these indications.