Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Surge Protector or Power Monitor

How many of you use either a surge protector or some type of power monitor at a campground? Which do you use and what is your preferred model? Who doesn't use anything at all and why? Living and traveling on our boat for 25 years, we have encountered every conceivable power issue, including plugging the boat into docks in third world countries. We have never had a problem with the electrical systems or any equipment on board. What makes a campground so different? Chuck
chuckbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

So been camping most of my life and never had a surge/electrical protector. That said, first ever brand new Forester MH and reading these forums prompted me to buy a Progressive Industries 30A portable.

Worked great but have not encountered any bad power either. Got the portable unit mostly because I didn't want to mess with hardwiring it myself and refuse to pay others. LOL. Got a nice cable lock to make sure I keep it!

Happy Camping!
WanderingToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I was staying up in a campground in northern Michigan for an extended period of time. They had huge problems with low voltage which got worse as the campground became more occupied. I finally invested in a Hughes Transformer that corrected both low and high voltage and also would alert if the power was wired wrong. It helped a lot and never had a problem after we got it, it is a portable unit that we only use if there are problems. I have a voltage monitor in the coach that I check after I plug in.

I just purchased but haven't received a 50 amp Progressive Surge protector. It is a hard wired unit. I'm hoping that this will prevent any potential problems in the future. I watched the installation video on their website and it is pretty straight forward (unless you are color blind).

Last year while parked at the house and plugged into a 20 amp circuit we had a lightning strike on the pole that supplies power to house. Lost 1 TV in the house but also lost the EMS circuit board in the RV.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just bought Progressive 30 amp hard wired. Stayed at an old campground last year with a bad neutral burned up my converter and one a/c unit. The forever guarantee sold me.
timmer594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
How many of you use either a surge protector or some type of power monitor at a campground? Which do you use and what is your preferred model? Who doesn't use anything at all and why? Living and traveling on our boat for 25 years, we have encountered every conceivable power issue, including plugging the boat into docks in third world countries. We have never had a problem with the electrical systems or any equipment on board. What makes a campground so different? Chuck

I wouldn't even THINK of RV'ing without a good electrical management system! I have installed the Progressive Industries HW50C on all four RV's that we have owned. It's the cheapest insurance you will ever buy! It only takes one faulty pedestal at a CG to fry everything electrical in your rig! Just not worth taking a chance!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #6

I have the Progressive Industries 50 amp portable monitor and surge protector. I view it like insurance, there in case you need it to protect your stuff. Most times it is not required and is not doing anything, just like insurance. Once you pay the money to buy it, no more continuing costs.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

We use an inline Surge Guard ..... not certain we would ever need it .... but not work the gamble of hurting some part of electronics in the bus .... IMO

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with all here...

it's somewhat like another thread - why do campground owners not keep up their lawn maintenance, trash pickup, etc....

If some owners have problems doing THOSE simple tasks, how hard do yo think they work on individual pedestals ?!?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

I've also travelled across the US and Mexico without any electrical surge protector and never had an issue. I got a Progressive 50a unit as a gift and wired it up for our summer trip just because I have it. 3.200 miles and numerous campgrounds visited since and still haven't had any issues.

I guess it's like insurance. You don't need it until the unlikely even that you do.

I always chuckle when I see those portable units with lock and chains wrapped around a power pedestal.. I can't recall ever staying in a place where I thought theft like that would be an issue
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post

I guess it's like insurance. You don't need it until the unlikely even that you do.

I always chuckle when I see those portable units with lock and chains wrapped around a power pedestal.. I can't recall ever staying in a place where I thought theft like that would be an issue
Kind of like your first sentence above, most likely never will need the lock, but then it is insurance in case you do.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Did its job 3 times in the past 2 years for us.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Just like Joe, I just installed an EMS HW50C from Progressive Industries in our new Tiffin, even though it already has a transfer switch with some surge protection. The PI unit gives constant readout on Line Voltage and Amperage draw on each circuit leg as well as giving over/under voltage and surge protection.

I had a hard wired SurgeGuard in our Itasca and it saved our bacon several times in campgrounds when the voltage dropped due to a number of new arrivals all plugging in and turning on ACs at the same time.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the HW50C Progressive Surge Protector last week. Pretty straight forward, hardest part was having to crawl into the basement and contort my body to be able to work on it.

I had been keeping my eye out for one and found one on ebay, it was an open box special. Paid $199 with free shipping. Came in the original box with all the instructions and display so I'm a happy camper.

I know one time we were parked a dog show and plugged into a 30 amp circuit that was 240 volts, luckily nothing was on and nothing was damaged.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I installed the HW50C Progressive Surge Protector last week. Pretty straight forward, hardest part was having to crawl into the basement and contort my body to be able to work on it.

I had been keeping my eye out for one and found one on ebay, it was an open box special. Paid $199 with free shipping. Came in the original box with all the instructions and display so I'm a happy camper.

I know one time we were parked a dog show and plugged into a 30 amp circuit that was 240 volts, luckily nothing was on and nothing was damaged.

Only thing hard about the installation is messing with those heavy gauge wires!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power