Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Bob D,
If you are getting the 50AMP unit -- there are two versions. One has a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) built in (low $300's) the other has a digital remote display which can be mounted inside the coach.(High $300's). You cannot add a remote to the LCD unit. You can add a second remote to the HW-50C with the digital display. Unless you just have to have an inside display to look at (it does give you the amp draw on L-1 and L-2 - helps to have -- unless you already have a "load shedder" EMS.) the LCD does a fine job. Mount it in the same compartment as your power cord and you can check your power when you plug-in.

Progressive's web site gives their dealers. If you have problems installing give a holler.

Green lights and soft breezes,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
BTW, I installed it to protect both the generator and shore power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I integrated my device into my electrical system the same as you did. My 50A Surge Guard is mounted on the back wall inside my electrical closet and has been working very well for just about 2 years or more.

We are very pleased to have the feeling of security and I can say without hesitation you need to have this type of protection or you could be subject to all types of electrical difficulties that could have been easily prevented.

Both the 30A and 50A Surge Guard are available on RV Upgrades our major sponsor.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roland & DriVer,
Thanks again for the information.
I'm going to go with the LCD unit and install it in my electrical box compartment.
Also I will be checking all the stores for the best price. It does look like though that the price is pretty consistent on the unit.
I'll let you know how easy or hard it was to install.

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:55 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Both the 30A and 50A Surge Guard are available on RV Upgrades our major sponsor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's where I bought mine.

I have bought several things from RV Upgrades, and they are so easy to deal with.

The usually have the lowest prices, also.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #19

I installed a 50 amp Surge Guard in my electrical bay, the same as DriVer. At the same time I installed a 50 amp autoformer such that I can plug it into the circuit when required for campgrounds with low voltage. Most of the campgrounds out west seem to have good voltage levels and we have used the autoformer only once. I have talked to many people that say some of the older campgrounds in the east have low voltage conditions so hopefully I am ready for them. I use a meter to test the voltage at the power pedestal before plugging in and if it is below 116 VAC I plug the autoformer into the circuit before applying power.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ghamblen:
I installed a 50 amp Surge Guard in my electrical bay, the same as DriVer. At the same time I installed a 50 amp autoformer such that I can plug it into the circuit when required for campgrounds with low voltage. Most of the campgrounds out west seem to have good voltage levels and we have used the autoformer only once. I have talked to many people that say some of the older campgrounds in the east have low voltage conditions so hopefully I am ready for them. I use a meter to test the voltage at the power pedestal before plugging in and if it is below 116 VAC I plug the autoformer into the circuit before applying power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary,

A test when you initially plug in only means that the voltage was kinda sorta good without a load on it at the moment you tested it. When I first got my AutoFormer I was not 100% sold on it especially when I plugged it in and the voltage was high enough that it would not have kicked in and did not kick in after some time. However after I plugged in an appliance with a decent draw into it, it started to boost. To me it is a false assumption that if a manual check looks good at the moment of hookup that it will stay good 24/7. I plug the AutoFormer in no matter what and let it work automatically as it was designed to. You may be surprised how many times a day it may go into boost even though you thought all was well.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I know this is an old topic but, I have one question before I purchase. I assume the unit works when plugged into a 30 amp outlet via a converter or 20 amp outlet.

I'm guessing L1 would show power readings and L2 would be zeros as the second leg is missing.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
JavaJelly/Scott, you may want to clarify what device you are referring to...I'm assuming you mean the Hughes Autoformer?

I've been currently researching this topic as well, and think my first expenditure will be on the Progressive Industries HW-50C Surge Supressor / Electrical Monitor System (EMS0...though I also see a need for the 50A Hughes Autoformer as well.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry about that. I was referring to the Progressive EMS. I am going to get the external one I believe.

Anyway will it show the stats (amps, volts etc.) for only one leg if plugged into a 30 amp outlet via adapter.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The unit will work no matter what the AC supply is.

A 30 amp/50 amp adapter supplies AC to both legs of your coach's 50 amp cord.

I'm on a 30 amp hookup now and I can see the voltage and current draw on both legs of my coach's electrical system.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Dirk. You just answered a bunch of questions for me on how the coach electrical system works.

I thought only one leg was used on an adapter and that is why coach manufacturers always overloaded that leg in the breaker box.

Does this mean that you get 30 amps total across the legs or 15 amps max on each leg?

I have a factory EMS (different than progressive's) installed which sheds appliances. However, I have a HydroHot so no furnace & no hot water tank. All it ends up doing is cycling off the rear A/C.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does this mean that you get 30 amps total across the legs or 15 amps max on each leg? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have 30 amps total to use as you wish.

Remember, when you first hookup, the inverter/charger is going to draw a lot of amps for a while to recharge your coach batteries.

I have to watch my Progressive EMS to keep an eye on my total amperage draw.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Dirk,

Haven't heard from Bob on this yet. Is his external unit have exactly the same functionality as your internal unit? Meaning all the same data and protection.

I do understand you hooked yours to the generator which is not possible w/an external unit.

While it would be great to see amps and volts inside, I already have the EMS option in the coach which gives me amps on all but, 50 amp shore power.

Secondly, I want to use the external in my campground to check pedestals for proper voltage and customer amp draw. I believe it would help w/customer service.