Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #1

I am thinking of purchasing a surge suppresser for my motorhome. I have a 30A service. How many joules of protection do I need? Comments?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #2

I am thinking of purchasing a surge suppresser for my motorhome. I have a 30A service. How many joules of protection do I need? Comments?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The more joules the better. I am using the Surge Guard 50 amp model and highly recommend the company. This has saved us at least twice that I know about. It provides other benifits as well. Check it out at www.surgeguard.com
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I suggest you go to RVupgrades.com (one of the sponsors)and look at the surge guards for the coach.

I did and purchased a 30 amp unit that also checks for low power and overe power. I have been happy with the unit and the pricing.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Rich and Diane, here's another recent iRV2 forum on Surge Guards where this subject was discussed.

I recently ordered an received the Progressive Industries 50A portable model from rvupgrades and am very happy with it.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
RV Wizard - what is it you like about the Surge Guard as opposed to some of the other models on the market. They are more expensive than most & I wondered what your reasoning was.

Thanks.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Since I am a full timer, one thing that I look for personally is the durability factor. The Surge Guard brand also checks the pedastal for proper wiring, low and high voltage as well as provide a time delay if power is only off for a few seconds to eliminate the restarting of any compressors before they have time to equalize pressures. One thing my dad had taught me was that "You get what you pay for" and although it is not always true I have found it to be true most of the time.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Mike - I agree you get what you pay for. Appreciate the advice.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #9

I have the Progessive 50 amp hardwired model. I installed it between the transfer switch and the circuit breaker panel so that it also protects from over/under voltage from the generator. I've been very pleased with it, and it has refused to connect to more than one campsite due to bad campground wiring. I also agree that in surge protectors you get what you pay for.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred Cooper:
I have the Progessive 50 amp hardwired model. I installed it between the transfer switch and the circuit breaker panel so that it also protects from over/under voltage from the generator. I've been very pleased with it, and it has refused to connect to more than one campsite due to bad campground wiring. I also agree that in surge protectors you get what you pay for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred, I plan on doing the same, do you have a wiring diagram of your installation. None comes with the unit itself.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here is some info on how I install the Surge Guard and Frank's Super Automatic 50 Amp Voltage Booster in our Winnebago Adventurer. Might be of some help to you on your install.

In the 3 years we've enjoyed the Winnebago Adventurer, we have never plugged into a 50 amp service. A 30 amp service along with the Adventurer's EMS system has worked very well including running both air conditioner compressors. That's true until a campground has low voltage and this summer we were at some.

Just completed installation of a system which should give good electric protection and maintain proper voltages.

Electric Trail:
1: 30 amp Power Cord terminating with a 50 amp female receptacle wire so both legs are hot.
2: 50 amp Power Cord now terminates with a 50 amp female receptacle (in case I need it).
3: Surge Guard (located in Electrical Compartment) plugged into either 30 or 50 amp Power Cord. The Surge Guard has a "Bypass Switch" so "Low/High Voltage can be bypassed but still controlled by the Frank's Automatic Voltage Booster.
4: Automatic Transfer Switch (now with 50 amp male plug) plugged into Surge Guard.
5: Output from Automatic Transfer Switch now terminates to a 50 amp female receptacle located along side of the Load Center (Circuit Breaker Cabinet).
6: Frank's Super Automatic Voltage Booster plugged into 50 amp female receptacle from Automatic Transfer Switch.
7: Load Center (Circuit Breaker Cabinet) is now wired with a 50 amp male power cable which is plugged into Frank's Super Automatic Voltage Booster.

System Works Great.
1: Can use either 30 or 50 amp power cord without need of an adapter.
2: Surge Guard can easily be removed from system if need be and Automatic Transfer Switch plugged directly into Power Cord.
3: Frank's Super Automatic Voltage Booster can easily be removed from system if need be and power cord from Load Center plugged directly into receptacle from Automatic Transfer Switch.
4: If the Transfer Switch would ever fail, The Load Center can be plugged directly into a Power Cable if need be.

Pics located below
Old 12-27-2006, 06:53 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Logthumper:

How much of this works with your own generator? Does the surge protector work with the generator?
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have the portable SurgeGuard for 50 amp. It has cut my power several times. It works as advertised. It is installed on the shore power line. It is not functioning when the generator is running.

I would purchase the product again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob if you want to protect everything from surge find your three wires and green ground to load center feeding into transfer switch and wire those wires thru surge protector than back to where you took off three wires from load center into transfer switch. In that way you will protect load center from both 30 or 50 amp line cord to pedelstill and your GEN line into transfer switch. My wires were at top left side of transfer switch and I used a 4" sq box to make splice for wires that came off the transfer switch that way your connections will be protected. I cut my 50 amp cord to wire back from surge to transfer switch and to wiring box or you can shop for the 50 amp cord but I found it was easier to just cut the 50 amp cord. I carry a long 50 amp extension anyhow.
When you do this NO POWER FEEDING COACH, and be extra careful of pushing and pulling heavy wires around your transfer sw ckt board inside transfer box. It has thin wires on it that you don't want to pull when removing heavy wires.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote