Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have a question that we need some help with.
We have a 2007 Meridian SE,and the Sony T.V.(WEGA) and a DVD player(all factory installed)
When we play the DVD it goes thru the surrond sound but when you watch the TV either cable or
Direct TV it only goes thru the TV speakers.Went thru the manual and turned the DVD to AV-IN but cant find the info on what to do with the TV selction.Also what a great site
with alot of useful help.Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #2

Have a question that we need some help with.
We have a 2007 Meridian SE,and the Sony T.V.(WEGA) and a DVD player(all factory installed)
When we play the DVD it goes thru the surrond sound but when you watch the TV either cable or
Direct TV it only goes thru the TV speakers.Went thru the manual and turned the DVD to AV-IN but cant find the info on what to do with the TV selction.Also what a great site
with alot of useful help.Thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #3

I have a 99 Adventurer with surround sound. To make my tv come out all the speakers I have to flip a switch that is located in the overhead panel next to the box that distributes the video signals to the front tv or back tv, etc. I believe it says raido or tv on the switch. I would imagine your set-up would be similar.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #4

Your directv receiver should have audio out jacks, this could be either rca plugs, or optical depending on your model. You will need to connect the audio out to the surround system, in mine I just have rca plugs so I connected the audio out to the auxillary audio in on my surround receiver. Now to hear stereo sound on the tv, I turn the volume off on the tv and turn the surround receiver to aux. and adjust the volume via the surround receiver.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the same issue and I think I can help.

The problem is that when you hook up your Satellite or cable, you probably use rca jacks(red, yellow, white) or a coax cable to hook to the distribution box. This box is unable to distribute the audio signal to the surround sound and the video signal to the TV's. While the DVD player, if it's like mine, is also the surround sound, the signal does not need to be split. The only solution that I know of is to run two sets of rca jacks from the satellite receiver and plug the yellow cable into the distribution box, but run the red and white cables with the second set of cables to the surround sound. The only problem is that when you want to watch TV in the bedroom or outside, you will have no sound.

If anyone else has a better solution please let us know as it would help a ton of people.

Good Luck

2007 Chevy Silverado
JMJCSIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was able to get my over the air TV to work by simply setting the Surround Sound tuner to the same station as I have on the TV. However this will not work for Cable and/or Sat. In order to pick up those stations you will have to wire the sound from the Sat/Cable box to the Surround Sound Audio in jacks as stated above. If the Sony WEGA Model had Audio Out jacks that would be the best solution but according to my manual Audio Out is not provided.
Frank O.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think our coaches have similar equipment and I think your wiring is just fine. I have connected my DirecTv receiver using only coax and have the TV sound coming through the surround sound speakers.

You're on the right track putting your receiver/DVD player into the "AV In" mode. All you need to do is go to your TV's menu and set the audio settings for "Variable Audio Output". To get there, go to "menu", "audio", "options" and then select "fixed" rather than "variable". That should do it.

I think what you get then from either cable or sat is a simulated surround sound... although I think DVD will give you the real thing. To get real surround sound from TV I think you will need to upgrade hardware and cables but I haven't done that on our coach yet.

Good luck!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #8

Try flipping the aux radio switch on the dash. That makes mine work.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
Try flipping the aux radio switch on the dash. That makes mine work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. Switching the AUX/MAIN radio switch on the dash to AUX should cause it to operate correctly.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input We are camping this weekend and will try you suggestion.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
Try flipping the aux radio switch on the dash. That makes mine work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto

Davie Fla
Hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #12

If you want true 5.1 Dolby Digital (aka surround sound), you will need a sat receiver that has digital audio output - typically optical. I am a DirecTV customer and my DVRs (digital video recorder) have optical audio outputs, the non-DVR receiver only has L/R audio.

I'm guessing most DVD players have digital audio outputs. The one we have in the house is several years old and has digital audio outputs.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #13

We have the same equipment. The way I got it to work was to go into the TV menu and turn the internal TV speakers off.

2007 Sunrise 35L
TB-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #14

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet....

On our Sightseer, you need to have the TV on, then turn on the DVD player (with no DVD in). Then switch the remote on the DVD player to "AV In". Turn it up and you'll hear it. Only problem is a hissing sound. Doesn't do this with DVD's, so maybe I don't have it hooked up right.....it came from the factory that way.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote