Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Surround Sound Receiver

I need to replace my RV's home theater surround sound receiver. Any recommendations?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #2

I converted to a regular Pioneer home receiver and added a separate bluray player. Only other needed change was adding a powered sub.

Chris

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Best Buy has a lot of Home receivers or if you have the room the newer speaker bars work also.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

My 5er had surround sound in the living room but not in the bedroom. The DVD and VCR combo didn't work so the dealer swapped out the player and gave me the surround speakers. I went out and found a surround sound receiver and powered sub to put in the living room and wired up the surround DVD VCR combo for the bedroom and installed and wired the speakers. Now I have High Fidelity in the living room and later I upgraded to a Bluray player and 55 inch flat screen LED TV for the living room. I'm a happy man and as a bonus I now also have surround sound in the bedroom too.

Originally the living room also had a passive wuffer in a compartment. I moved it to the bedroom and mounted it in the closet and cut the side of the closet out and covered it with speaker fabric... Now, It looks stock. The powered sub fit in the same compartment as the old passive sub and I had to run the power cord from the new powered sub to the amp behind the electric fireplace plugging it into a switched 110 power outlet on the receiver. It works GREAT and was under 300$ for all the stuff. I was lucky though, I happend into the Good Guys and they had clearance items including a powered sub and a Pioneer surround sound receiver on sale cheap. It all took some time but very little $ for the great benefits of good Hi Fi sound and high Def picture.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Get a Sony of your choosing off Amazon for best prices - no tax and free shipping.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That explains it

Quote:
Now I have High Fidelity in the living room and later I upgraded to a Bluray player and 55 inch flat screen LED TV for the living room. I'm a happy man and as a bonus I now also have surround sound in the bedroom too.
That's the rumble I heard at the other end of the campground.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In our last coach, we bought the Samsung unit from Best Buy. We used the speakers already in the coach. It sounded and worked well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone.

Craig

Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #9

Home Theater System vs AV Receiver

I tried a Home Theater System like this Sony. It has a built-in DVD player + a set of speakers + 2 HDMI inputs for connecting to a DISH/DirectTV receiver, Apple TV, Roku, etc.

However, I wanted more options (additional HDMI inputs, video up conversion, etc) and bought a Marantz AV receiver. It's one of the shortest AV receivers I've seen which makes it great for tight RV spaces.

I added a 5.1 speaker set with the Marantz, but a sound bar is also doable.

There is no shortage of options.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping World has a Sentry brand which has two speakers plus a subwoofer in a 24" long box. Camping world $44 same thing Amazon $55.00. Bought one two years ago works great not home quality but then neither is my RV TV. Model I think is spbar 2.1. Google will not show Camping World as source but they are and some stores stock them so no shipping. For $4.99 two year walkin replacement.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #11

I purchased a Sony home theater in a box at Sams for $199. It was a blue ray/3d/wireless/blue tooth. 1000 watts. Then I purchased a HDMI switch/wireless transmitter so I could have HD on all TVs Worked great for me.
But my DW keeps telling me to turn it down!

2013 Georgetown XL 378

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
wrapperman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I updated my receiver with a Denon AVR-E200, which is their lowest priced receiver. I also added a Polk PSW110 powered subwoofer and a Samsung Blu-Ray player. It sounds great!

One negative to that receiver is that the input has to match the output. What I mean by that is that if you're using HDMI from the receiver to the TV, then the inputs from the DVD and satellite to the receiver must also be HDMI.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have tried 3 - Advent wireless, Boise and Yamaha, I think the Yamaha Sound Bar beats the others hands down no question. I also added a Yamaha powered sub-woofer.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update

UPDATE:

My sound receiver was covered under my extended warranty, so I decided to let them replace it. The mobile RV tech that I recently started using doesn’t mess with sound systems, but he referred me to a place called Mark’s Audio-Video in nearby Irwindale. I called and spoke to Mark, a very friendly guy. Mark specializes in home theater installation, but he has done many RV systems and knows RV’s very well. He owns a DP himself. Mark works with extended warranties, so I set up an appointment to have the receiver replaced. Mark replaced my defective Panasonic receiver with a Sony BDV-E3100 receiver with integrated Blu-ray player. Mark did an exceptionally clean install. He spent almost an hour demonstrating the new receiver’s functions with me and even helped me with some satellite issues that I had. I highly recommend him if you are in the area and need work done. He kept my RV secure inside his locked building during the 3 days he had it. Here is a link to his website if you are interested.

I spent this morning playing around with my new receiver. HUGE improvement over my old system. It has some additional features that I didn’t have before. I can stream music via Bluetooth from my iPhone and I can stream movies via it’s integrated Netflix app if I have good WiFi available. I’m glad my old receiver bit the dust...I just love new gadgets!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Craig