Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Swan Auto Winterizing System Itasca

Have a 2003 Horizon Itasca with a Swan Industries Automatic Winterizing System. The Swan instructions talk about filling up a separate Anti-freeze tank with not over 2 gallons of RV antifreeze. Any one know where this tank is or how to fill it up? I just purchased the MH last summer and it is starting to freeze here in Va. I normally just put 3-4 gallons of antifreeze in the water tank, run the water pump long enough to see it coming out of the water heater drain, bypass the water heater and run each spigot long enough to see the antifreeze. The problem I have is I can not bypass my HWH. The Swan unit has two solenoids, bypass and winterize. I located the winterize behind the "city water/water tank fill" valve panel and hear it actuating when the switch is thrown. However, I can not locate or hear the bypass valve. Trying to trace waterlines without a major disassembly is futile. Looking at the schematics, it appears the winterizer solenoid opens to this antifreeze tank and closes the main water tank valve. However, the bypass solenoid is not bypassing the HWH. With antifreeze in the main tank and turning on the water pump, it is still sending antifreeze out the HWH drain with the bypass and/or winterizer switches on. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thanks....
Dale
Dale R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #2

On my 03 Journey DL the valves were right next to each other at the location you described. One of them started to leak last year and I found out they are no longer available. I replaced both with manual valves with the handles extending into water pump/electrical compartment.

My MH only has a pickup tube for the antifreeze, no tank. The pickup is right below the valve and extends into the water hose compartment near the accumulator.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Ernieh. I have since called Winnebago and viewed their plumbing diagram on their web site. Winnebago has completely discontinued any electrical winterization. The solenoid valves, only being used once a year, go bad. This is what I am sure I am facing as I took the panel down to find the bypass solenoid valve missing and some rather creative plumbing work done. Thanks for the input.
Dale
Dale R is offline   Reply With Quote