Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I've never seen a Generac that works properly.
I have one. I'm no fan of Generac. Given the choice I'd probably choose Onan, but the generac in my coach has been dependable so far.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin

I have one. I'm no fan of Generac. Given the choice I'd probably choose Onan, but the generac in my coach has been dependable so far.
No fan either. I do like how easier they are to do maintenence on with everything right their in your face. Mine has 1200 hrs on it and has been pretty reliable. Seems the biggest problem with these is the electronics- voltage reg and engine ECM. At least they're not expensive and can be replaced in 10 mins.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Generac, a big NO-NO !
Iony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #18

Have a generic thar runs fine!
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #19

Check out Power-Tech generators. This is what came in my 1999 Dutch Star and I have never had a problem. They also come in many of the high-dollar rigs, Newell, etc. I am sold.

PowerTech Generators
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Verry sorry if I ofended anyone. My "NO_NO" reffer to my personal experience and dos not generalized this product.
regards, Iony
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Exclamation Generac

Verry sorry if I ofended anyone. My "NO-NO" is reflecting my own experience with Generac and dos not ment to generalizate this product.
regards, Iony
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #22

Ive had both Onan and Generac.... the current coach has a Generac with 2250 hrs on it, and starts on the first push of the button everytime. Maintenance is a breeze because as stated before, everything is out where you can access it without crawling under/over/or dismounting the thing. Its not as quiet as an Onan, but thus far it's been awesome. And it cost me less than $25 to change oil, filter, air and fuel filters, and spark plug. I never could do that with an Onan. And God forbid you need a carburetor for one.. they're up in the $150 to $200 range. The biggest problem with ANY generator is that people don maintain them properly, nor do they exercise them regularly/properly. Thats why mines run so many hours with no trouble.... the prior owners and I have both run the snot out of it but maintained it well.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #23

this is a great example of why i wish i did better research on generators.... i have a generac 4000w that came with the 81' dodge Tioga i bought.... first rv, i figured low hours was good until a month later & 85hrs on gennie. it just stopped starting, we did all, & i mean all, the maintance on it but still won't start....i also live in an area with no rv mechanics, ended up buying a champion portable gennie... i still have fingers crossed the generac will start one day
bk tioga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I've never had a problem with my portable Generac either.. 12 years old..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk tioga
this is a great example of why i wish i did better research on generators.... i have a generac 4000w that came with the 81' dodge Tioga i bought.... first rv, i figured low hours was good until a month later & 85hrs on gennie. it just stopped starting, we did all, & i mean all, the maintance on it but still won't start....i also live in an area with no rv mechanics, ended up buying a champion portable gennie... i still have fingers crossed the generac will start one day
It could be something as easy as replacing the ECM for $100 and 10 min of work. If you ever decide to work on it, PM me.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #26

i will, thank you!
bk tioga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
Generac just announced that they are discontinuing motorhome mounted generator sales.
Well good for them. I guess they just can't compete with a real generator.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #28

We had a generac gas gennie is our previous coach and put hundreds of hours on it in all kinds of conditions without issue. Arguably, it was louder than an Onan (although inside the coach, the unducted a/c we had was louder than the generator).

Okay, I lied. We had one issue. In Vegas after filling up with gas one day -- it was 107 degrees outside -- it struggled to fire up and then took about 2 minutes to come back to a stable idle -- I wrote that off to fuel vaporization in the extreme heat.

Steve

Tags
onan