Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #1

I've recently purchased a rear sway bar for my '04 Newmar w/ the Mountain Master Chassis. I have yet to install it because of a problem with the upper mounting brackets. Only two (2) mounting bolts when instructions and photos indicate three (3)are required. No help from Road Master tech people. They returned one call and agreed there was a problem and they would get back to me. Nothing in three weeks! No returns on their voice mail or e-mails.
Anyone using one of these/experience with Road Master? Sorry for the novel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #2

I've recently purchased a rear sway bar for my '04 Newmar w/ the Mountain Master Chassis. I have yet to install it because of a problem with the upper mounting brackets. Only two (2) mounting bolts when instructions and photos indicate three (3)are required. No help from Road Master tech people. They returned one call and agreed there was a problem and they would get back to me. Nothing in three weeks! No returns on their voice mail or e-mails.
Anyone using one of these/experience with Road Master? Sorry for the novel.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bill,
If nobody has welcomed you to iRV2, let me be the first.

Sorry to hear about your sway bar problem. I do not understand what you mean by three vs two bolts. Where, on the sway bar mounting is this discrepency?

My signature coach has a Roadmaster (used to be IPD) anti-sway bar. It has two brackets, each held to the chassis with two bolts. All other bolts are internal to the sway bar.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #4

The top mounting brackets attach on the upper frame cross member. The third bolt is supposed to attach on the side of the bracket but there is no frame piece for it bolt on to. I'll probably end up making my own bracket thru a welder I know. He can use the original as a template but configure it for my particular frame piece. Always something!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Since mine is attached with two bolts for each bracket, I wonder if the third bolt is needed? This is a heads up on another potential problem. Before you contact the welder guy, mount the bar with the two bolts per bracket. Swing the bar up to what would be its' normal opperating position. Does the bar clear the rear jack mounting brackets? If so, congrats and full speed ahead with your install. On my coach, the bracket had about 1 inch of clearance. I was not comfortable with this and had the jack bracket brace moved back about 4 inches. This required cutting the bracket and rewelding in the new location. The bottom line is everything works great. The effect of the ani-sway bar was noticeable immediately and settled down the rear of the coach so nothing moves the coach rear sideways now.

I think you will really like the sway bar.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #6

Thanks Gary for the heads-up on the clearance. I wondered myself about the third bolt and how important it is or isn't. It would be nice to hear the tech rep at Road Master say it's not needed! I'm not holding my breath on that though. You are one of the few people that have had any previous experience with one of these sway bars. Just to cut down, if not eliminate, the "push" from a TT unit or a stiff crosswind will be worth it.