Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Actually - the Synthetic oil change interval for a newer Subaru outback is over double for using synthetic oil. This site talks a bit about the benefits.

http://www.subaruofkeene.com/synthetic-oil.htm

Yes I realize we are not talking about Subarus. My engine in my '11 outback is identical to the '12 and newer and I can use Dino oil but the newer ones can't. The benefit is better mpg and fewer changes.

I use synthetic anyway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Actually - the Synthetic oil change interval for a newer Subaru outback is over double for using synthetic oil. This site talks a bit about the benefits.

Subaru Synthetic Oil - Fact, Fiction and Requirements

Yes I realize we are not talking about Subarus. My engine in my '11 outback is identical to the '12 and newer and I can use Dino oil but the newer ones can't. The benefit is better mpg and fewer changes.

I use synthetic anyway.

pssst...

Quote:
* Because turbos run hotter, oil change frequency is every 3,750 miles. Always consult owner's manual for proper oil recommendation and warranty maintenance booklet for service intervals.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Indeed. I change it at the 3750 interval (mine is the non turbo) even though using synthetic to assure warranty coverage despite if it was a year newer with the same engine I could go longer.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #32

I've used synthetic for the past 12 years. I have extended my oil change interval and verified with Blackstone Labs via oil tests that the oil is doing it's job. In my car I extended to 7 - 8k, Blackstone said I could have run the oil another 7k miles.

In my go-fast boat (25ft Baja w/ 454) it ran 6 to 8 degrees cooler constantly. Less friction. Big blocks are known for using a little oil. With Dino I had to add oil every 12 to 15 hours. With Mobil One that extended to 20 to 25 hours depending on how hard I ran the boat. After I saw these results I switched my truck, tractor and even my ZTR mower. All have syn in them now. Cooler operation and yes, I do extend the change interval. I got over 1700 hours on the Baja, over 175k on the car and had over 200k on my old truck when I sold it and bought a newer one. Synthetic has done me well and that is all I will put in my equipment. Blackstone Lab testing assures me I am not hurting a thing by extending the change interval.
ZeroG is offline   Reply With Quote