Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 04:01 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
I stayed at TA couple time, no problem. I always fill up when I do stay. they have nice eating place too. several to choose from, good food, very convenience.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 05:02 AM   #16

I never not buy not buy fuel from any truck stop that I'm going to park at. It's just OTR proper etiquette.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I called a TA Truck Center in CT. to see if I could spend the night there if needed. They said I could park there for 2 hrs. for free and then there would be a $ 15.00 charge and if I spent $20.00 in the store ( not fuel) there would not charge me.
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #18

Been Rv'ing for 4 years now and heard or read somewhere that if you overnight at these places that you should keep you slides in or you might loose one during the night due to a truck taking it out.. Any opinions? We have not over nighted at a truck stop or walmart yet. but it might be coming..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
Been Rv'ing for 4 years now and heard or read somewhere that if you overnight at these places that you should keep you slides in or you might loose one during the night due to a truck taking it out.. Any opinions? We have not over nighted at a truck stop or walmart yet. but it might be coming..

If you are in one of the standard truck slots, then no slides out. I have parked along an outer curb and extended the slide over the curb. Same in front in the RV slots. Never take more usable space than necessary. Again, if parked along a curb then you can extend over the curb.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #20

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post

Just use good common sense.... In some places, it is just fine to put down the jacks and extend the slide to the bed room, others, it may not be such a good idea... Some folks are simply not comfortable doing over night stays in places like this, others do it all the time without a problem.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #21

I stay at Wal-Marts and Pilot/Flying J truck stops, because, I have read on their websites, that they welcome RVs to overnight.

I couldn't find a comment that RVs are welcome, overnight, in TA or Loves websites. It may be true, I just didn't see it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Never had a problem with Love's Truck Stops and staying overnight. As to TA, never enter because every time I see their diesel price posted it is 15-20 cents a gallon higher than anyone else. Pass.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I stay at Wal-Marts and Pilot/Flying J truck stops, because, I have read on their websites, that they welcome RVs to overnight.

I couldn't find a comment that RVs are welcome, overnight, in TA or Loves websites. It may be true, I just didn't see it.

I stay frequently at FJ and Walmart. I've noticed that Loves has opened a number of new locations and seem to have up graded many of their stores. Since they don't address RVs on their web site, I contacted they by email. Their response was that they welcomed RVers to overnight in their parking spaces.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Who is ready to video, being kicked out of a truck stop. There must have been more going on.

If asked to leave, you pack up and go. You have no grounds to argue.

Sent from Walmart
They did not video getting kicked out but talked about it when they video taped the next morning. It's a regular FT'ers video on Youtube of which there are many.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #25

Never had a problem at any truck stop, large or small. I prefer Flying J's because they usually have RV islands but I've stayed at many others without issue. I actually prefer truck stops because they don't care if I run my gennie (can't be heard over the trucks idling anyway).
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
When you fuel at a truck stop, do you get in line with the trucks if there is no dedicated RV lane?

I ask because a Pilot near me has diesel for autos at only one island and while I made in and out ok, that was without a toad. I don't think I could have if I were much longer.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #27

I've fueled at truck pumps many times although the main reason I don't is that my tank venting sucks and I have to baby the high pressure pumps (whereas the auto-rate ones work fine). Some day I might look into the venting issue, but then again, I might upgrade some day before then

Do remember that if you fuel at truck pumps, pull forward to pay after you use them (unless they are pay at the pump).

Steve
Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
I just saw a Youtube video where a family with a 5th wheel were kicked from the Las Vegas TA Travel Center. The security guard told them no RV's were allowed to park overnight.
Did the family have the BBQ out, chairs, awning? There might be more to the story than we are hearing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote