Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Did the family have the BBQ out, chairs, awning? There might be more to the story than we are hearing.
Well there can always be a story with anyone, including any comments on this forum and others. They said they were sleeping and had been so for several hours. The children were carried out to the truck and they pulled to just off the property and spent the night there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
When you fuel at a truck stop, do you get in line with the trucks if there is no dedicated RV lane?

I ask because a Pilot near me has diesel for autos at only one island and while I made in and out ok, that was without a toad. I don't think I could have if I were much longer.
I nearly always fuel at the truck lanes, even if there is a dedicated RV lane. It is much easier for me to get in and out and to know that I won't be blocked. I make it a point to fuel quickly and pull forward, and I look for Pilot/Flying J since I can pay at the pump with their card.

I have never had any trouble using the truck lanes. I try to be respectful by filling up and getting out of the way. My money is as good as anyone else's at the pump.

wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I too, use the truck lanes at Pilot/Flying J. However, I never really get in any rush, since no one else does either. I have to go in for pre-approval and then pump. Like others, I have to baby the pump to keep it flowing...not sure why, but it's that way on both side of my coach. While I fuel, the wife cleans the windshield and I check the tires for proper air pressure. If needed, I air the tires too. I notice truckers with the hood open, cleaning the engine, scrapping bugs from the grill, cleaning the windshield, etc....no rushing.

Once completed, I pull forward to complete the trip computer reset and other odds and ends.

At first, I disliked the slow pace of using the truck lanes, but after driving a few hundred miles, the slower pace is appreciated now.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #32
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Let's get back to addressing the OP's question on TA overnighting. Please take discussions on fueling to a new thread.

Thanks,
Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehooked View Post
I called a TA Truck Center in CT. to see if I could spend the night there if needed. They said I could park there for 2 hrs. for free and then there would be a $ 15.00 charge and if I spent $20.00 in the store ( not fuel) there would not charge me.
We have stayed at the same TA in CT. on two occasions. We asked the manager if we could spend the night, and he said, "sure, just find a place where you feel secure and out of the line of traffic." We parked in front of the motel that is on the property. There was no mention of time limits or spending money in the store. We fueled and did frequent the Dunkin' Donuts. Did I mention the bagels, YUM!!

Bronk
Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I used TA's contact form on their website and asked them if RV'ers were welcome to stay overnight. That was 10 days ago and still no response.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #35

Local law trumps company policy.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flying-J has segrated RV parking, usually in the AUTO area.. Though I;v'e seen bob-tails there (Semi tractors no trailer)

T/A you park with the big boys.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
So you believe there might be a local law that allows truckers to rest but not RV'ers? I'd like to see an example of that law.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #38

Just stayed at a Cracker Barrel. They were excited to have us and an employee even asked me if we needed anything in the parking lot.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum "life happens" HE lives..
Old 08-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #39

In all honesty, I've not seen a TA in the south I'd feel safe enough to stay in. And I pack heavily!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum "life happens" HE lives..
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Private property. Owners make the laws.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Private property. Owners make the laws.
Tell that to the cops and see how far you get. The real question is whether or not the city has a ban on camping in the parking lots. Truckers are in a different category than non commercial traffic.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I overnite a lot at walmart and flying J. But I will never use a designated truck parking spot. At flying J, I stay upfront. Truckers are "on the clock' I am not. I don't want to take up a spot that a truckers could use. What if the parking lot it fills up and a trucker has to go on down the road and has an accident.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote