Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Who is ready to video, being kicked out of a truck stop. There must have been more going on.

If asked to leave, you pack up and go. You have no grounds to argue.

Sent from Walmart
Makes me wonder if they had slides out, stabilizers down, outside the lane, while truck lot is usually busy and full. keeping a low profile works best.
T/A-Petro even has call ahead reserve parking for truckers because their lots are quite busy and driving hours are strict.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
So you believe there might be a local law that allows truckers to rest but not RV'ers? I'd like to see an example of that law.
Federal FMCSA law REQUIRES truck drivers to rest X number of hours out of 24, no option,no excuses. Anyone who is not driving for hire is exempt. That is my reason for not occupying a truck parking space. I have the option of CG's.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
So you believe there might be a local law that allows truckers to rest but not RV'ers? I'd like to see an example of that law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Federal FMCSA law REQUIRES truck drivers to rest X number of hours out of 24, no option,no excuses. Anyone who is not driving for hire is exempt. That is my reason for not occupying a truck parking space. I have the option of CG's.
Quoting a federal law about truckers required rest is not the same as a local law forbidding overnights by an RV. And good for you not parking in truckers spots - I wouldn't either.

From TA's home page:
Quote:
Cars and RVs
Whether you’re on a family vacation or a business trip, with a car full of kids or all by yourself, TA and Petro are your perfect pit stops. From good food, snacks, and gasoline to supplies and gifts, we have it all.
So they want RV'ers to spend money there, but not overnight?

From Pilot Flying J:
Quote:
Free overnight parking
Had enough driving for one day? Pull in to one of our RV reserved parking spots or any other open parking space. Grab some dinner, stock up on supplies, and spend the night to get ready for that long drive ahead of you tomorrow.
Now that's a welcome sign!

So is your answer to the OP that you would not overnight at TA because they don't have RV parking?

For me I would stay away from TA for overnight unless they have RV parking, and it doesn't sound like they do unless you make your own out of two or more car parking spots. I would still use them for fuel and food if there were not a Pilot/Flying J nearby.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #46

TA = Turned Away!

Sorry for pulling back and old thread, but this relates to experience at a TA Travelcenters of America.

As we were driving across the country in our Class A Motorhome, our parking spot for last night didn't pan out so we were looking for a place to sleep, we tried to stop at the Denver West (Wheat Ridge, CO) TA, and were turned away!! The attendant at the register said "Personal RVs are only allowed for two hours, unless you are a professional driver transporting it as a load". With as many RVs as there are on the road, and as friendly other truck stops (like Pilot Flying J) are, they're really hurting themselves with this policy. As a result, we had to continue driving around for another hour and a half, already exhausted, until we finally found a spot at a Love station farther East. TA must stand for "Turned Away"!!!
We tried several Walmart, and though the people at Customer Service said we were welcome, the security guard in the lot said we were not and that once the store closed at midnight, local police would be by to issue $250 tickets and chase people off the property (local Denver area ordinance apparently).
Old 06-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #47

Haven't tried the truck stops yet, but do live near a couple and yes I do see RV's in there on occasion. We had our first week long trip in our MH and did try the walmart stay a couple nights. No issues at all, in fact the first one we stayed at in Mackinaw city, their lot maintenance crew came by around 10am and ask us if we had any trash to dispose of. They were pushing a cart around the lot picking up debris and offered to take any we might have...how is that for hospitality??
Old 06-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #48

It depends on the TA. Some are RV friendly and appear to have a section for RV's. I always check the iExit app and a few other places for a description of the specific truck stop and I look at the reviews. So far, I have been able to plan my trips around RV friendly Flying J's